• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE(Captain Magenta @ Mar 5 2008, 02:00 AM) View Post

Incidentally, my question about the large doors at the beginning of this topic was never answered, lmao.....

Answering that question:
You absolutely don't have to animate such large doors, "simply disappearing" is not a bad thing even at small doors. (I use both the opening/closing animation and the simple vanishing/appearing in my quest.)
However, I do have a suggestion: you can make a very short animation for the big door tiles, this would make them animated and would also consume less time and provide fewer possibility for bugs. This short animation could be that the door rapidly opens. You include just a few frames and set the speed high, so it looks like the doors open with a twisting speed. This way the bottom tile can just disappear, and the uppers need only 2 or 3 frame. Other quick animation would be the fading. Not neccessarily with transparency (however, combo cycling on layers work in the betas), just with having fewer and fewer pixels. 3 or 4 frames are enough.
But again, I won't yell at you for omitting animation at these. (BUT you could ask somebody insane enough to waste time for it, because as the golden chain falls down from the door and then it opens... it would be more than epic.)

#17 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:40 PM

I've been looking through the tileset, and although all the tiles are awesome (arrange the mountains better and add some universal dungeon objects and you'll be set) you still need to recolor the door entryways on page 150. I tried every palette and none of them work.

#18 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:18 PM

CaptainMagenta, you really gotta cut down on tile space. There's no reason that a single dungeon set should take more than one or two, at most, tile pages. Great dungeons, by the way, I'll definitely be using them.

#19 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

I actually had a look at your incomplete tileset today, and I saw some pretty awesome dungeon walls in there, heck if I had my original PC back to continue working on my quest project I would definitely use the "Temple of Droplets" walls, cause the other version of the Temple of Droplets walls from the "Loose Tiles" database are a little shallow in the amount of peices.

Nice work, and good luck with furthur development. icon_thumbsup.gif

#20 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:05 AM

This is an amazing set you've constructed here Captain. I really don't have anything else to say other than that, but you'd be hard pressed to find many posts where I post only to praise the contents therein. So that's something right there. icon_wink.gif Now have a cookie. You've earned it.

#21 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for the compliments again; I thought this topic was dead, lmao! Incidentally, I have since updated the tileset again so all the interior colors have been fixed and a good deal more material has been added to the set. I'm still extremely iffy on those mountains myself now, especially considering I think the LTTP styled mountains in Migokalle's shots are just beautiful for some reason. As for the interior tiles, while in some cases there are superflouous tiles amongst the dungeon interiors, there are also some that cannot simply be rotated due to floor designs, and while layering could solve that problem, I want to try to reserve layering for things that just cannot be done any other way so there is more flexibility for questbuilding in that respect.

As for the original intent of this thread, though it will take an absurd amount of time and tilespace, I've decided I'm going to attempt the impossible and attempt to animate those doors. It will be insanely difficult and I may decide to use layering for it instead of altering tiles frame by frame but I'll cross that bridge when the time comes. Yeah, the colors on that stuff was screwed up because I was tinkering with the palette but that should have since been fixed. I know that each interior takes up a crapload of space but again with some of the tiles being incapable of rotation, and some of the walls being extended out instead of flush with the floor, (You'll see or know what I mean by that) most of the dungeons need that many pages for all the tile variations. I may be able to cut down on the tiles once I weed out which tiles can be rotated successfully without ill effect to the design, but until the set is complete and I start building a combo list that will probably stay on the back burner.

This recent update might have shaved more tilespace anyway but I don't recall everything that was changed so you'll have to judge for yourself. I also found an awesome replacement for the Wand in the HTTD tileset and recolored it and it blows away the old Wand so that's another nifty addition, and I also redesigned the stabbing sword sprites somewhat so they more resemble Shadowfall's blade designs which enabled me to use more colors and flesh them out somewhat more as well. I also borrowed the beam collision sprites from PrinceMSC's AI tileset as well as I thought they looked way cool.....

**Edit: Anyway, here's the link to the set again, which has just been updated and may or may not contain anything new for you. The Tileset (Again!).....

Edited by Captain Magenta, 29 March 2008 - 12:28 PM.

#22 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:35 AM

Looks great. Good luck with the doors! haha! ..Ok but seriously, quick question for you:

Why so many duplicate colors for CSets 0,1,5,6,7,8,10,11 ? I'm assuming it's because you haven't finished them yet. Normally I would just purple out the unfinished csets, which is what I'm doing for my tileset, but I'm sure you have memorized what color goes where, so my question is; which csets aren't being used currently, and which ones are deletable?

Edit: I see...they're all used for something, even the duplicates... )_( hmm...I was able to remove 32 of them but I'll have to re-leech some sprites. Easy peasy.

Oh, and I like how you set up Cset 6 for link. icon_smile.gif Even though Link is the same color as the grass and trees. lol. He's camoulflaged!

Edited by Gleeok, 30 March 2008 - 05:16 AM.

#23 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

Whoa man, that's awesome, 5 star, although you really need to find a way to cut back on tile space use...maybe take out the huge amounts of ALttP mountains and just save what you need. icon_biggrin.gif

#24 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

Most of the colors are being used for something, but I'd imagine there are some colors that are not being used at the moment. I will likely screw with the individual colors in the palette so that there is some contrast between different things, especially the Link sprite since you brought that up. I will also continue to investigate the possibility of reclaiming tilespace as well since my ripping from MC is fairly close to completion for most everything I want or need, and I also have most everything else taken care of as well. There are still a few interiors I have to add which is why I have the empty palettes further down, and the empty overworld C-Set was because I realized those colors were not being used for anything and I may use them for snow and desert pallettes, especially since I will have seven colors for each type of terrain.

The way I set the palette up though with seemingly duplicate colors is because the game only darkens C-Sets two through five with the proper rule set, so I have the colors in those C-Sets devoted to interiors and overworld tiles. Then the colors on C-Sets seven through eleven are reserved for sprites which you do not want to darken in a dark room unless it becomes useful to gameplay; I have set the traps up so that they disappear as well in a dark room and can truly surprise the player. Since I wanted an insane amount of detail for the Link sprite, I decided to have C-Set six set up the way it is to allow a large amount of detail but I think some of the colors can be yanked due to lack of use, which is also something I will explore as well.

I'm getting closer and closer to actually being able to build a quest with this, and ironically playing both Beta Link's IoD demo up to the Tail Cave and also reading a manga adaptation of the adventure is making me strongly consider creating a LA quest myself, but the key difference would be that I would likely try to incorporate elements of the manga into the quest, which really fleshed out the story and delved into Link's feelings and thoughts during his stay on the island as well as his motivations for undertaking the adventure, and you could truly sense the romantic tension between Link and Marin in the manga that just wasn't there in the game itself aside from the "almost" kiss that they had up in the mountains before Tarin interrupted them. The only thing I don't like about the mangas is that they tend to depict Link as cocky and arrogant, which is a sharp contrast to his depiction as cool, collected, and with a stoic humbleness about him despite the situations he often finds himself having to face.....

Edited by Captain Magenta, 30 March 2008 - 08:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users