More Minish Cap Madness.....

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:11 AM

I'm still slaving away at this snowball that my tileset has turned into, and it's looking like unless I compact the set down which will unfortunately be at the cost of the template style organization of my tiles, I'm going to run out of space for tiles since I have some damn many now, lmao! But enough of that; I recently put together the large doors for Hyrule Castle with their own shutters and boss locks (Not even in the Minish Cap since Hyrule Castle itself wasn't a dungeon) and intend to do so with all the other dungeons I have large doors for at present, but I have a small dilemma. The doors due to their size and complexity will be a b***h to animate and I'm feeling leery about taking on the task since it will consume a lot of time and tilespace as well as test my abilities which despite appearances are mediocre at best right now. However, the doors simply vanishing, huge gold boss lock and all much as they did in the original Zelda with the small locked doors when opened seems both odd and lazy in and of itself. Should I attempt to tackle the monumental challenge of doing this or would doors that do not animate be sufficient for a quest? Just curious as to what you all think. Incidentally, if anyone has already done this and can give me some advice on how to tackle this beyond simply taking a frame by frame string of screenshots from the game during a door opening sequence or provide pictures for reference, I'd be grateful.....

IPB Image

Also, I posted this link elsewhere to point to my tileset as it stands, and it has been slightly updated though these doors are not yet included I do not think. Feel free to add them in if you like or use them as you see fit.

The Tileset.....

Again I will also list those who deserve to be credited for the tileset's contents as well so there's no confusion if my other link was too well hidden.

DFW & Peteo: I based some of my floor tiles off the ones in Bhalstock Castle and slightly modified them, and also used the floors in Ebenar Temple as well. Both floors are only one combo that has been tiled though so it's not quite as much of a direct copy as you might imagine. I also used the ladder item as inspiration for my own ladder sprite.

Linkus & Radien: The Hover Boots & Iron Boots I have are based on sprites I saw in one of your screenshots but I modified them to become a pair rather than the single boot and tweaked the colors a bit, for better or worse. I also borrowed the Lens Of Truth and did some color and pixel tweaking on it. I also believe the Amulet was borrowed and slightly recolored as well as the Magic Shield. Anything else in there I forgot that sticks out as being yours is well, yours as well so feel free to claim credit for it.....

Shadowfall: Many of my overworld tiles are simply adaptations of the Origins tileset he used so he deserves credit for it.

Freedom: The Adventure Tileset provided a lot of inspiration and reference material so a nod to him too.

Anyone that again got left out of the credits and feels deserving of credit or would like to request that I cease and desist the use of their tiles until they release them feel free to harass me. Also, since I used such material available to me, I also think it only fair to say that anything in my set that piques your interest is fair game for you as well, so feel free to help yourself. icon_lol.gif

#2 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

That looks absolutely awesome! icon_thumbsup.gif Those doors look really good. I think that's why I loved Minish Cap so much was because of their graphics / tiles or whatever you would call em. LOOKS GOOD MAN WHOA! icon_cool.gif

#3 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:55 PM

The door sure looks wonderful and there are some other good tiles in that tileset, but it's 8-bit... so all tiles look the same on all CSets and all palettes, which means you either have just one palette, or you need to duplicate almost all tiles as many times as many areas you have... Plus, most of the items look good only because they are 8-bit. And... I like MC graphics.

#4 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

Looks pretty good, I will have to download it and see what else you got in that tile set icon_razz.gif

#5 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:12 PM

http://www.geocities.com/brianesqueda/

The link takes me there.
Is that good?

I don't see any tilesets...

#6 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Feb 28 2008, 08:12 PM) View Post

http://www.geocities.com/brianesqueda/

The link takes me there.
Is that good?

I don't see any tilesets...

Click the "My ZQuest file" or such near the bottom, some tiles lower than "My Yahoo" and such.

#7 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:22 PM

Oh, shows just how obsevant I am =P

#8 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:50 PM

icon_eek.gif

Those dungeon walls pwn.

#9 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

I don't think all the tiles in the tile page are nessicary. You usually show how the tiles work with example screens, not wasted tile pages.

#10 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:11 PM

Show an example of those dungeon walls on SotW. icon_wink.gif

#11 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:21 PM

Oh yeah! You'll have a great chance of winning.

#12 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Feb 28 2008, 10:21 PM) View Post

Oh yeah! You'll have a great chance of winning.

Not if Migokalle submits his forest temple and I submit my cow emporium... Why do I think that SotY 2008's winner will be from the next SotW...?

#13 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

:O

Wow, this set is 100% amazing. I love all the MC dungeon sets, they look great. Good job on this one!

#14 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for all the compliments on the set so far; I know that there is a lot of wasted tilespace due to duplicate tiles, but since the combo list is restrictive in the way you can display tiles and reference screens would require me to build an incomplete combo list with the set as it stands, I would rather have template styled tile setup so that there is no ambiguity as to how the pieces go together, especially since some of the interior stuff like the half ledges are customized. However, when in all likelyhood I run out of tilespace I will probably have to rethink the organization which will be irritating but necessary.

Everything is indeed eight bit, but my intention was to have all the smaller detail stuff be interchangable between the overworld and the interiors since often a blue or green statue or object doesn't look right when instead it's normally grey, though if a plot device required it you can always recolor it which with the palette setup should be relatively easy. In addition I'm thinking that I can also create new level palettes as necessary to tweak the base colors in the overworld palette in the event I want a brighter or darker palette for say, caves or the overworld at night.

As the title implies though this is still a work in progress that at some point in this century will hopefully be finished but like anything it will take time. Also, if it wasn't obvious yet, the references "LP XX" at the top right of the interiors shows the intended palette for that particular interior though of course with the color setup the interiors can appear in other colors as well.....

#15 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

I'm hoping enough time has passed since my last post here for it not to be considered as a double post and if it is then shame on me and I apologize. icon_lol.gif I recently updated my tileset with a small amount of progress but since the work is both slow and I managed to screw up my wrist somehow (Not what you think, lmao!) I only have updated up to the Temple Of Droplets interior and recolored up to the Wind Palace material; beyond that the interior colors are slightly hokey due to my tinkering with the palette but as I cover more ground this will be rectified. I also took some advice and tried to eliminate some of the excess tiles that were simply filler and regained about twenty five pages of space which will be useful for the new material. Feel free to look or if not then that's fine too; the link is above as it has been before. Incidentally, my question about the large doors at the beginning of this topic was never answered, lmao.....

Edited by Captain Magenta, 04 March 2008 - 08:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users