• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 March 2020 - 11:03 AM

I'm definitely inclined to agree, here. :) I'd be happy to help host a two week quest contest, similar to the 2015 one, given enough interest (considering the number of likes on Shane's post, seems like there is)! It's been five years, so it's long overdue for one I would say. Considering the current ZC contests happening, I would suggest that around the months of June-July might be a decent time to have something like this, as I think by then the contests would be over and that time would have the largest number of people having more time available on their hands. Thoughts?

• Shane, Jared and Joelmacool like this

#62 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:43 PM

Sounds great!

#63 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 04 March 2020 - 01:45 PM

I would suggest that around the months of June-July might be a decent time to have something like this, as I think by then the contests would be over and that time would have the largest number of people having more time available on their hands. Thoughts?

Summer break seems like the best time for a thing like that, yes.

#64 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:25 PM

Summer and winter break are traditionally when such contests are held. We held official two week contests in the summer of 2013 and 2015. We'd planned to hold more, but usually, there were unofficial contest (Lunaria has run several, as an example) being hosted during those same time frames. I'm with David though in that I'd definitely be up to host another one this year.

• Shane and David like this

#65 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:56 PM

With all due respect, I don't see any real harm in stepping on toes if it means potential for broader participation seeing that Vintage Dreams was a private (and now closed off) server. I think more lax activity on Pure would be nice to see and should be a "priority". Probably won't ever get the time for an official contest with that kind of mindset considering everyone wants to start one. :P But yeah, exciting to hear people are interested!

• Avaro and Jenny like this

#66 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:46 PM

I'd love to have another quest contest at some point!... knowing full well I won't finish one :(

• Avaro likes this

#67 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 05 March 2020 - 05:06 AM

We'd planned to hold more, but usually, there were unofficial contest (Lunaria has run several, as an example) being hosted during those same time frames.

Best solution is probably to start advertising it early.

Like, by a few months, at least.

Which, for this particular contest, would be... right now  :ohmy:

That way everybody knows the big event is coming. Then if somebody else wants to be contrary and run another contest during the same time, well... good luck, I guess.

#68 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 05 March 2020 - 01:15 PM

Best solution is probably to start advertising it early.

Like, by a few months, at least.

Difficulty with this is that hype is tricky. When contests are announced, creativity flows and people get excited. That tends to ebb over time. 2-4 weeks is, under normal circumstances, the ideal length of time cuz it's just long enough that that spark of creativity doesn't blink out. Over longer periods of time, it's hard to maintain that flame of hype. 6th contest is a good example; there were a double digit number of people signed up, but only four finished entries made during the contest period.

Sounds a bit like I'm rambling I'm sure, but my point is that if these things are announced two earlier, people get excited, start planning, wait, wait some more, and eventually lose their excitement before the start date arrives. There's a golden period where you announce it earlier enough to gain interest, but not so early that that interest is lost before the contest starts. Announcing several months early, I fear, would lead to most people losing interesting before the contest begins.
  • Jenny, Aevin, David and 1 other like this

#69 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:09 AM

Announcing several months early, I fear, would lead to most people losing interesting before the contest begins.

I suppose the best compromise would be to establish that there's going to be a contest, without actually giving away the details.

So basically, announce the planned date - and possibly contest length - so that people can plan their schedule, or other contests, accordingly. That could also allow contest date discussion, so that if there's somebody who wants to participate but knows they're going to be on vacation for a significant chunk of the time, then maybe the date could be adjusted to accommodate for that.

Then announce the actual contest details a week or two before it starts.

#70 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:51 AM

Yeah I usually have hosted contests bi-annually around the solstice of each year. I was gonna host one this past winter but the official 6th(?) quest contest was held, and I saw little point in having two at once, they would only cannibalize each other. In the past I have held the contest on my discord server, but that was usually due to it being the only avenue avalible at the time.

I was planning on hosting one this coming summer solstice too, though I haven't hashed out any details exactly. I guess I'll see when the times comes if one is running already or not before I announce anything.

#71 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 15 June 2020 - 08:02 AM

So uh, it's summer, is that summer contest gonna happen? 'w'

#72 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:51 AM

Yes it is! The staff have been hashing out the details in private, and we plan to make a formal announcement soon.

• Mani Kanina and Lüt like this

#73 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 15 June 2020 - 02:13 PM

Sweet! :3

#74 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:50 PM

If there's interest, I sort of want to try rezzing Enemy of the Month in some form, using an original enemy spritesheet each round instead of themes. (I'm thinking of maintaining a roster of unanimated sprites people can vote on for the next round, and replacing any that don't get any votes at all.)

I don't know if this'd solve the issues EotM faced the first time around, it's still a small subset of a small community. Also I'd be kind of eh on the showcase side of things, I don't have any experience making videos or streaming. But I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring.

• Mani Kanina, Joelmacool, David and 1 other like this

#75 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:11 PM

If there's interest, I sort of want to try rezzing Enemy of the Month in some form, using an original enemy spritesheet each round instead of themes. (I'm thinking of maintaining a roster of unanimated sprites people can vote on for the next round, and replacing any that don't get any votes at all.)

I don't know if this'd solve the issues EotM faced the first time around, it's still a small subset of a small community. Also I'd be kind of eh on the showcase side of things, I don't have any experience making videos or streaming. But I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring.

I want EOTM back myself.

The shifting hosts did some of the damage.

And then the change to ZC Showcase sort of killed it off even further.

Part of the problem may have been the fact that some people felt they couldn't compete against fancy scripted stuff.

My proposal would be to do something slightly different.

No themed contest, where everyone had to submit something centered on a particular thing like an element.

Instead, have it be two-fold. 

First, a month of suggestions where people could submit sprites to be used for the contest.

Then, at the end of the month; anyone who wanted to could use those sprites to make an enemy of their choice.

This would make it where creativity was still possible without forcing people to pull something out of thin air.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users