Losing Motivation

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:28 AM

So, I've lost motivation making my game.
I wanna know if this happened to you lot as well and if you know a way to gain your motivation back. :/
So yeah. Post if you lost motivation and so on.

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:16 AM

Sorry to hear about that. I guess we all have those moments where we lose motivation.

As for myself, I have lost motivation in 2 other ZC projects of mine, Link's Quest for Portugal and Hero's Legend 2. Thankfully, my current project, which is Oracle inspired, is keeping me busy with ZQuest and is something I plan to complete sometime next year (or late this year). As for getting motivation back, I don't really know how. I guess playing other quests could or you can wait it out and it should come back to you sooner or later.

• Joelmacool likes this

#3 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:50 AM

The solution is to go play something else for a while. Play a game or find a hobby that you can sink a significant amount of time into, and then come back to ZC later. Eventually you'll find it interesting again. No telling how long that period of time will be, though.

• SpacemanDan, Joelmacool, TheLegend_njf and 1 other like this

#4 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:33 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you have lost motivation, but knowing from many people, you are certain to get it back soon enough.

As for me, I remember losing all my motivation for my quest during the summer of 2014, which was so badly timed because that was when I had the most free time to actually make my quest, but for some reason, I didn't feel like continuing quest making. After a while of doing other things, though, I eventually got my motivation back by the time school started, and ever since, I've been working on the quest very slowly because I still have a slight loss of motivation. I really hope that I can get all my motivation back sooner or later.

• Eddy and Joelmacool like this

#5 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

This tends to happen to me as well. As Bagel said, playing something else, or working on a new hobby tend to help. It's usually what I do when I've lost motivation to work on a project. You might even get some new ideas on things you want to do in ZC when you get back to it, which never hurts. :)
  • Joelmacool and TheLegend_njf like this

#6 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

I agree with Bagel and Spaceman Dan. I will even take time away from quests even before I feel like I'm losing motivation. Recently I got back into my xbox even though I promised I wouldn't until the summer comes (When I normally take a break from Zquest).

I felt that I've accomplished a lot the past few months with ZQuest so I felt I would give myself a few weeks playing xbox before I do lose my motivation.
  • SpacemanDan, Joelmacool and Demonlink like this

#7 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

If I'm starting to lose motivation on one of my projects, I usually take a break from it and go to work on another. If I actually start to lose motivation on all projects, that's my cue I need to take a break. What I do is either find a good game to play for a while or play some quests that I haven't gotten around to do so. Right now, I'm on hiatus on ZC itself for two reasons, loss of inspiration and I've been busy with my education.

So, that's basically my two cents on the subject. I'd recommend doing your favorite hobby (apart from ZC that is :P ), go play some games, or simply something that restores your motivation :) (Trust me, it's a bad thing if you keep working on your projects with no inspiration whatsoever). 

• Joelmacool likes this

#8 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

Best way to find your inspiration is reflection if you ask me. Ask yourself some questions you know about your project and how it came to be in the first place, the go explore those things.

#9 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:14 PM

I lose motivation fairly often. I think it's mostly due to doing too much in too short a period, then getting overwhelmed by how much I have left to do. I've drawn seven character portraits for my game, thus far, but I'm having a hard time with bringing myself to do the other 13 I need, I only have 1 of the 20 midi files I need completed, and one that's about 75% done, my scripts and cutscenes are only half completed, and I haven't even begun the mapmaking process (which is probably my weakest area as a quest designer). In that regard, sometimes it feels like I'll never be finished, and that does make it hard to work on it. As far as getting my motivation back.... I never did get very good at that part. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that I've yet to actually finish a full quest. I try to shift from one task to another (i.e. working on midi when I'm burnt out on spriting, then scripting when I get burnt on that, then back to spriting, etc.), and sometimes just work on other ZQ projects, but in the end, sometimes I just need a break, I think.

#10 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:50 PM

1.  You can think of the most 'Spine-tingling'  Dreams you had in 'your life-time' and try to redraw those scenes from your most oddest even nightmarish moments.
Any dreams you ever had, work on the scenes in your Zelda Classic Editor - that is even 'if they don't make much since is fine.'

Have them occur in game at the start 'or of' many other cutscenes in the middle of the game at least.

2.  Think deeply about the ultimate adventure you would like to have in your life-time, try to develop a plot based off those moments, is kinda Like making a wish too a Jinn for something so precious like a super power or ability to fly, what exactly would you do with that ability, what complications or threats could come across your journey?

3. Just Watch alot of technical anime with guys driving mechs - you can just have the storyline simple with many wars taking place, a darthvader like figure - a destined hero and some complicated plot about wars going on and what not-   Or whatever else you likes that interests you personally.*

One my favorite examples so far is the combination of Fairy-tale / Magi the Kingdom of Magic / Bubblegumm Crisis etc. 

^Watch those three to start, see how their plots are developed and what new threats are brought too the table each time.

I recommend them both 'by-far' more than the over-hyped 'Naruto or DBZ' which everyone already has seen by now.

4. Make a comedy based Zelda game or on real life or even RPG likes or even make your First SCARY Zelda game.  

Put monster and screaming affects in it - for some of the freakiest parts.

-Also i bets nobody here has ever truly made a Scary Zelda based game.  But am wondering if anyone here has done that befores or nots?

5. Just base it on the funny things in your own life and even some inside jokes at that.

6. Maybe make your entire game a side-scrolling plat-former if you are into that ^ and repeat and rinse all above what i said with it, only if you think it can works.. *

(Also, i never run out of motivation, .. i have hit a point in my life where the ideas just don't stop with me latelys.)

I am not sure if anyone truly realizes what i am capable of ..    

- Just ask  SCKnuckles how spontaneous

my ideas come too me.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 08 February 2015 - 05:54 PM.

• LinkFan212 likes this

#11 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

I worked on Pokemon Pyrite for 7 years, and after completing 80% of the game, I lost the will to work on it.  Eventually, your interest might sap out and there isn't much you can do about it.  However, that's just my anecdotal evidence, take it with a grain of salt.  

That shouldn't happen on my current game, Will of Alchemy, mostly because its an original game, as opposed to a fan-game.

Edited by thepsynergist, 08 February 2015 - 07:57 PM.

#12 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:08 AM

It happens to me all the time. If you can't make progress on your projects, just make screens. If you can't do that, then just avoid ZQuest as much as possible until you have a really really strong urge to make progress. But before you do, despite your urge and motivation coming back, I say give it an extra day or two and let it build up even more. Burning your motivation out instantly is always a possibility.

In other words, take a break from your projects. Nothing wrong with that.

#13 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:58 AM

all the time. me too.

more when things stop working right

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users