Updates Coming Soon(ish)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Nearly 6 years ago PureZC got its last update. Ever since then, PureZC has struggled to keep up with times due to us not being able to get its main site or upgrade its forums. At times, there have been some pesky bots that have caused issues, and there were some worries about stability.

Well, I’m happy to announce that today, 10 years after the opening of PureZC, Nick and I have been given access to be able to edit and update the website. What does this mean? A lot of changes are coming PureZC’s way.

Now, before anyone asks, almost no specifics have been hammered out, and work hasn’t been started yet. However, this will include updating the forums or changing to different forum software as well as having a major overhaul to the main site, possibly even having the site grow to have new features. Expect some parts to be radically different, but we think that the changes will be seen for the better. We’ll keep everyone posted as far as any updates that we have as progress through all this. I ask everyone to be patient as we try and get everything finished up and ready.

I will make a couple notes, though:
  1. As of right now, we have no estimated timeframe for when this will be finished.
  2. You may request features in the site, but don’t pester us about anything. icon_razz.gif Some things won’t be discussed until much later in the development process.
Finally, I’d also like to thank Wild Bill for giving us the chance to update everything. icon_smile.gif

That being said, feel free to party. icon_thumbsup.gif

#2 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

THANK. GOD.

This is fantastic news. I know the changes won't happen instantaneously, but by the fact that they CAN happen... It just changes everything. This is so awesome.

Thank you and Nick for taking the responsibility of maintaining the website.

#3 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

IPB Image

I can't wait to see what's in store for Pure now. Has me all giddy thinking about it icon_razz.gif

#4 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Perhaps, a new skin?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this current site skin. However, after years..

At least a bland, white standard skin would be nice.

#5 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(Marco @ May 12 2012, 11:34 AM) View Post

Perhaps, a new skin?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this current site skin. However, after years..

At least a bland, white standard skin would be nice.

Indeed a new skin will be coming - with a possibility of multiple skins, we'll see. That's not to say the new one won't be green, but it probably won't be this set of greens (and may not entirely be green, either).

To put it simply... we're not to the point of skin designing yet, so we don't know the specifics. icon_razz.gif

#6 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thats good to hear. My only suggestion that I can think of is a better rating system for the database, maybe 7/7 or 10/10 instead of 5/5. Its been suggested many times before, but I'm not sure if the staff ever took it into consideration.

#7 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

I wouldn't agree with increasing the rating system beyond 5. The more number rating options you have, the more people are confused about what a good rating should be for anything. At the same time, it shouldn't be oversimplified, like thumbs up and down. Some have enough trouble with just 0 through 5, thus some fall in the habit of mostly using the most extreme values, 0 and 5. If you did 7 or 10, I can guarantee that the same people would mostly be rating things 0 and 7, or 0 and 10, respectively.

#8 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

I think we could relabel the ratings, though. Perhaps 2 stars could be something like "okay" or "average" or even "mediocre"... right now, the line between 2 and 3 stars is pretty thick. 2 is straight up "bad", and 3 is "good". I've never really liked that I can't rate something as not being that great without just feeling like I'm outright trashing it. icon_frown.gif If it were up to me, I'd just stick with a 0-5 star rating system and remove the labels, having the stars stand on their own as quantifiers of quality.

... that's pretty minor, though, and probably something to worry about for further into the future.

#9 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

I always liked that PZC was this unique set of greens while kinda all forums went with the default lightblue gradient.
I wonder what great overhaul it would be, I don't see anything that needs a change. Maybe it's just for the sake of change...

#10 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ May 12 2012, 05:05 PM) View Post
Maybe it's just for the sake of change...
Not at all. PureZC's board system is really outdated and it's a wonder no one's attacked the major security holes it has. This is why an upgrade of forum software is highly necessary, and will benefit us all in the long run. Yes, I will miss the way PureZC looks now, but who's to say just because PureZC looks different doesn't mean it will really change? Besides, I've seen the software we might be using, and it's got some neat stuff in it I think the population of PureZC will, for the most part, really enjoy, especially if we can integrate it into our existing features. icon_wink.gif

#11 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ May 12 2012, 04:05 PM) View Post

I always liked that PZC was this unique set of greens while kinda all forums went with the default lightblue gradient.

Although the skin hasn't been a high priority for us when planning, it's likely that our future skin will be based around the color green too. I doubt we'll go with the bland generic light blue gradient look if we can help it.

#12 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

1) Allow access to PureZC from outer space so we can attract Martians.
2) Allow more items per page when viewing quests, tilesets, etc. Those kinds of things. Also, there shouldn't be a humongous gap between the page numbers and the page content.

Those are the only suggestions I've got. I don't like change, so I'm using this situation as an excuse to get better at accepting change.

#13 tox_von

tox_von

Zelda Addict

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

a download counter on quests would be nice could this be added?

#14 Dustminion

Dustminion

Shouri da nasu!

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

The only suggestion I can think of is extend the character limit for reviews for quests, tiles, etc. I ran into a roadblock when making a review one time, and I didn't want to abridge it, so I had to post a link to an html file I uploaded to a (now defunct) website. I just feel 1024 characters is too small for people who want to say more than just "It's great!! Keep up the good work!!!"

I feel as though I should be saying more about this, but my mind is drawing a complete blank at the moment.

#15 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:57 AM

Can I still make a logo for PureZC 2.0?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users