9x8 Minimap

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

I need a script for a 9x8 Dungeon Mini-map. Why? Because for example, the last dungeon in the 1st quest of The Outlands uses a 9x8 mini-map. Note that a dungeon mini-map shows the compass marker. After all, there is a lot of hacked programming in The Outlands that can't be replicated without the use of scripts.

Like Gleeok said

The mini-map could be easily scripted provided the "Subscreen Appears Above Sprites" rule is disabled. The rightmost rooms would probably be set up as side-warps.

However, pkmnfrk said

My theory is that in the original Zelda, there was nothing stopping Link from travelling to further right, just in the normal quests, there's walls in the way.

Further, the mini-map position would be a simple calculation without bounds checking.

My only question is how he managed to set the mini-map squares, since the unmodified code would only look for 8 bytes of data (I think)

Additionally, what if it was possible to script some custom subscreen objects or make scripts for existing (implemented) subscreen objects?

Edited by XMuppetSB, 29 July 2010 - 02:13 PM.

#2 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:50 AM

Alright, if you send me the quest file with the completed dungeon in I'll have a look at making one.

#3 Wolfman2000

Wolfman2000

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

I couldn't find the quest file.

I did, however, find the Let's Play. It's in Part 15 at around the hour mark.

#4 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

I mean the dungeon XMuppet's making, not the actual ROM hack.

#5 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

Here you go.
It's currently a work in progress, but I'm making exact replicas of both quests from The Outlands. If you check the third map in this quest file, you'll see the layout for level 9, in the middle. You'll notice that it is nine screens wide.
Additionally, could I also have a similar script for the big dungeon map on the active subscreen?

Edited by XMuppetSB, 08 August 2010 - 10:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users