Mumble Trial

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

This announcement is to state the PureZC now has an official Mumble Chat!

What is Mumble?

Mumble is a group voice chat application where tons of people can join in to talk together. It allows groups and multiple channels so that people can talk about different things at once. It also does support both private and channel text message support.

Why Mumble Instead of Skype?

Well, Mumble has a lot of advantages over Skype. That’s not to say it’s perfect, but it does a lot of things well.
  • The audio quality is generally better because of noise removal.
  • Mumble is server-based, so chat won’t die if someone disconnects.
  • Mumble is also like IRC in that people can hop on and join in whenever. There’s no calls, so people can come and go as they please.
  • We can have multiple channels, so we can have channels for streaming stuff or making quests.
  • People can be set as the primary person in the channel, meaning when they talk, everyone else is quieted (which would be great for streams).
  • This doesn’t use the Skype program. icon_razz.gif To be more precise, Mumble is a lot less resource intensive and is less buggy.
  • This has better push-to-talk support and a mode where it’ll only record your audio if you’re loud enough.
  • There can be multiple simultaneous chats going on at once. For example, if someone wants to have a channel for streaming something, they can do that while other people are in the main channel.

Sounds good! So How Do I Connect?

First of all, you’ll need to download Mumble here. There’s a version for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Apparently there’s even an iOS port.

When you first launch Mumble after installing, you’ll go through a series of prompts the setup your audio settings. Pay close attention to these instructions. These settings can be redone, but they are important since they change how other people will hear you.

You’ll eventually be asked to create a certificate. This is important. Instead of usernames and passwords, Mumble uses certificates. I’d suggest using just the Automatic certificate creation option.

When prompted to join a server, add a new server with the following information:

Server: purezc.mumble.com
Port: 8904

Once you join, you should see a list of channels. You’ll want to register the nickname you use most likely, since that’s required if you want to be able to have permissions set for you. To do that, go to Self->Register.

Random Q&A

How do I get it to stop letting me know when people mute/unmute themselves?

For this, you’ll need to go into the advanced settings. Go to Configure->Settings. Check the box on the bottom left for Advanced. Then go to Messages. Uncheck the box under Console for “Other self-muted/demuted”.

There’s no usernames or passwords? What about if I want to use multiple computers?

Like I said, Mumble uses certificates. So if you want to use the same username on multiple computers, you’ll need to export your certificate on the first computer you setup (Configure->Certificate Wizard). Select the “Export current certificate.” Save that certificate and bring it to the other computer. Now you’ll do the reverse process, selecting “Import a certificate” and selecting the certificated you saved before.

How many users does this support?

Right now it supports up to 15 users simultaneously. Though, if this is heavily used, we can bump that up.

--------------------------------------------------------

Let me know if there’s anything you all have questions about. icon_smile.gif Note that this doesn’t mean that we’ll stick with Mumble necessarily, but I wanted to give it a shot, at least.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

IPB Image

If Goriya supports it, then I support it.
Oh Lord I'm such an idiot what am I doing.

In all seriousness, this definitely sounds better than Skype. The constant call notifications and random call issues and resource hogging on Skype are annoying. It sounds like Mumble's addressed all that, so if it's as good as it sounds, I'll switch to it.

#3 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

Having been one of the people in the initial test run, I'm very happy with how this works.

#4 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

I joined for a few minutes on my iPhone while driving home from Sonic. Interesting program however I won't be able to be an active user due to work hours.

#5 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

That's pretty neat icon_smile.gif I'll have to give this a try next weekend if I can. I have to say that'd be cool if I could actually talk to everyone!

#6 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

I was only in briefly but I really liked the program and concept I only wish I had the time and privacy to get into this.

On another note if you hear anyone with a heavy southern accent it's LinkTheMaster. Certainly not I.

#7 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Sep 23 2012, 09:04 PM) View Post

On another note if you hear anyone with a heavy southern accent it's LinkTheMaster. Certainly not I.

Well I'm not sure about that. I might have a heavier southern accent then anyone here... I live in a hillbilly town in Tennessee icon_sweat.gif

#8 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

LTM, I love you. icon_wink.gif

#9 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Hmmm, I may give this a shot sometime just for kicks and to see how it works with my netbook. I should pop in there and do the voice of Marvin the Martian from Looney Tunes. icon_lol.gif

#10 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

"server connection failed: the remote host closed the connection"

Why is it doing that? How do I/you get it to stop doing that ;-;

Edited by King Aquamentus, 26 September 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

It actually did that to me for a while. All I had to do was close and reopen it. It prompted me to setup it again, but then the error went away. I have a different error now, but that's another story.

#12 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

well no errors yet, but it works better now. Thanks Russ

#13 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

I'm on. Trying to figure it out. I don't know if I did everything right. I'm connected to the server though. icon_smile.gif

Got it, thanks LTM!

Edited by Sepulcher, 26 September 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#14 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

I've definitely been enjoying talking to all of you guys. We certainly need to do this more.

#15 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

I agree, I enjoyed getting the chance to talk with you guys. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users