Photo

Map of the Month 15

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: MotM 15 (35 member(s) have cast votes)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

Yep, so now it's my turn to post this month's MotM, and get it going. So now, the entrants:

Blaman
Rokai Falls: The source of the Romians fresh water.

Pheonix
Altia River and Blakemoor.

Xiion
"1 down, 25 to go..."

Migokalle
This is Kakariko Village. Please have fun and enjoy your stay! Make sure to try out the shooting gallery!

Let the voting begin!

#2 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

Outclassed again...
Ah well. I nulled, since I'm in this.

Blaman: It's interesting, but there seem to be some problems with the flow of water in that map: the big waterfall lands in an area and has nowhere to go, and the pond/lake where all the other waterfalls go into seems like it would be overflowing its banks by now, given the amount of water going into it. Also, I spot a tile error. Apart from that, however, pretty good.

Pheonix: Mine, so I won't really comment on it. It's NewFirst, so it probably won't win many votes - that, and the river gets huge too soon.

Xiion: I really like the graphics, that's for sure. I don't understand the large paved area to the north, though - it doesn't really fit in with the tropical backcountry feel of the rest of the map. The light grey stuff (rock?) that's spread around the area also looks weird - add something to help define it better and fit in with the SD3 tiles.

Migo: There's multiple perspectives on the cliffs, which looks odd. What's more annoying to me, though, is that all the roofs in the town area differ from each other. It may help differentiate the various screens of the town, but in map form it doesn't look cohesive enough. Also, I think the stair tiles would look better if they were colored to better fit the cliffs around them.

Edit: I have two votes already? Also, palindromic post count.

Edited by Pheonix, 01 July 2009 - 08:01 PM.

#3 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:27 PM

I voted for Migokalle. That is cool dude.

#4 Xiion

Xiion

Senior

• Members

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

The pavement up top is a placeholder for an adjacent map which I haven't fully designed yet. It's going to be a town, hence the pavement. As for the light gray stuff, which is supposed to be sand, is SD3 sand/dirt... so as to why it looks out of place... icon_shrug.gif

Blaman: Overall, really good. A couple tile errors though.

Pheonix: Also really good. Only 2 things. Why the long entrance to the tree-cave, and why the sudden change in mountain/water border in the middle of your river?

Migokalle: Try out the shooting gallery? Sure, I'd love too! ...which building is that? Some signs would help with that.

Not sure who I'd go with if i hadn't nulled.

#5 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

For the first thing, the entrance goes across the edge of the screen. For the second one, it was because I was lazy and didn't make it the same as the rest of the borders.

4-way tie right now? Are all our maps as good as each others'? (Apostrophe?)

#6 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

Man! I just broke a 4-way-tie! icon_blah.gif

Blaman: Eh. I don't like the palette very much. The map is nice, but the palette bugs me to no end.
Pheonix: I don't know. I just really don't like this one. No offense--your screen design isn't bad--but the way you used Newfirst and the palette is just...
Xiion: Delectable. *votes*
Migo: Very nice. Almost took my vote. icon_wink.gif

#7 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

icon_omg.gif HOLY CRAP!!! icon_drool.gif Blaman, that's probably one of the best Pure maps I've ever seen. I voted for you.

Blaman - 10/10
Absolutely outstanding. Your use of graphics and mountains is just fantastic. An amazing revision of what our veteran Pure Users Shoelace and Mr. Z can do. Well done!

Pheonix - 7/10
It's well designed as a New1st map but there's nothing eye-catching on it.

Xiion - 7/10
This is just my opinion but I just don't like those kinds of graphics. Still a great map.

Migokalle - 8.5/10
Nice revision of OOT's Kakariko Village. Nothing much to complain other than that boxy center. But it's probably there for its own good.

Edited by Dawnlight, 01 July 2009 - 10:36 PM.

#8 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:51 AM

Xiion has my vote.

#9 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:18 AM

Blaman, your map is just totally sweet. I love the palette, and the screen design is perfect. Really really good job!

#10 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:56 AM

I voted for Migokalle, looks good. I was also quite tempted to vote for Xiion, though I don't really like some of the colors.

#11 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

I went with Blaman, your screen is absolutely amazing. Everything on it's outstanding, you have my vote a hundred times over.
It is eye-catching, it has a great design, and it is by far the best map. icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

#12 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

Forgot to tell long ago that I voted for Xiion, it's simply outstanding. Blaman's is my second choice, very amazing map as well, best Pure I've seen around. Pheonix is next, a delicate map, but great designs which make New1st stand out amazingly. Migokalle is frankly enough 4th this time. I don't like that overusage of the GB-styled LttP mountains, you should use it quite rarely I think, otherwise it doesn't look good. I doesn't fit your overal style at all. Having new tiles doesn't mean you necessarily need to use them.

#13 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

Blaman: Your map is too large for what you have going on in it. There is no outstanding detail. It's just an absurdly large waterfall area without much on it. The ground is done well, however.

Phoenix: Amazing. It's about the right size for what you have there. The water is pretty bland, but the land and mountains are done very well with what you have to work with. VOTE!

Xiion: It's way too big. Almost nothing is happening there. Your ground detail and architecture are done well however.

Migokalle: My vote would have gone here if it weren't for that tile mismatch on that pink-roofed house and that extra unnecessary and bland tier south of the town. It's as busy as a town should be in the actual town part. icon_razz.gif

#14 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:18 PM

Congratulations to our winner, Blaman!

MotM 16 will be up shortly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users