help test a gameboy zelda tileset

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

will do. thanks joe. btw, you have 666 posts. i feel like i'm taking advice from the devil. =P

#17 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Nov 15 2007, 03:06 AM) View Post

You can do dungeon door sets with walls that are one combo wide fine, if you look on my FFA tileset, it's no more difficult than with two combo walls really.

Not North/South ones, unless you're wanting non-symmetrical dungeon doors. Bombable walls would look odd as well.
Which is why I've PM'd Akkabus North/South doors (nothing more than a simple edit, though...) to use.

#18 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(Akkabus @ Nov 15 2007, 08:24 PM) View Post

will do. thanks joe. btw, you have 666 posts. i feel like i'm taking advice from the devil. =P

Haha, I just noticed that icon_razz.gif

IPB Image
And I beg to differ Pheonix icon_wink.gif

That screen's not the best one to show the door combo sets, but I just checked my photobucket, and then realised I have really open, cave like dungeons in my FFA game.

Although, that one does cheat really because it uses 8-pixel walls rather than 16, so yeah, you couldn't have 16 pixel walls for north/south door combo sets without using freeform dungeons.

#19 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:22 PM

Have you used any of these?
http://www.spriters-...o/zelda/oracle/
or these?
http://www.spriters-...tendo/zelda/la/

Edited by Zemious, 15 November 2007 - 06:24 PM.

#20 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

sort of, zemious. i try to look at the sprite sheets periodically to see what i've missed. =P

hey, is there an easy way to rip sprites from sites like tsr and vgmaps? because i find myself ripping them one at a time, and it's so time-consuming.

Edited by Akkabus, 16 November 2007 - 04:23 PM.

#21 Zemious

Zemious

• Members

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:11 PM

Unless you're making them your self inside of the sprite editor within ZQuest, you have to rip them. :/

#22 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

Leech will rip a whole sheet of tiles, but you have to set it up to be twenty 16x16 tiles wide, otherwise it won't work properly, even if the image is smaller than that, add some extra pixels in.

Or you can make the grab box bigger by holding down control or shift or 's' or something whilst clicking. I can't remmeber off the top of my head, sorry.

#23 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:00 PM

i uploaded a newer version of the tileset on the first post. it has a prototype dungeon door set, but i haven't tested it rigorously yet.

thanks joe and zemious for your input.

#24 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:12 AM

whoever's still interested in this project (since the thread is slipping into oblivion), i'm still working on the tileset and it should be ready for submission into the database either this week or the next.

i've added a lot of things since my last reply. all the updates are written on the first post. if you want, you can download it and see if the changes are good/bad.

i probably won't be adding more door sets though, since that's just about the most boring thing i did in my entire life. >.<

#25 Zemious

Zemious

• Members

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:44 PM

I love your tileset man, it looks like you're getting close to a finish.
be sure to submit it to PZC. icon_smile.gif

--
Did you add my water tiles?

Edited by Zemious, 27 November 2007 - 12:12 AM.

#26 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:29 AM

Wow, I absolutely love your palette organisation.
Why is Cset 4 on the main palette every single palette empty though?

And you know that 00 is the colour that the system uses for empty spaces, such as tiles with no graphic assigned that are usually a black and red square, right?
Is it completely dependant on that colour being a cream colour? Because it looks rather usual.

Edited by Joe123, 27 November 2007 - 10:34 AM.

#27 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:17 PM

Did you add my water tiles?

yup, should be on one of the last pages. ^_^

Why is Cset 4 on the main palette every single palette empty though?

oh, i figured the less active csets, the better. that way, there's a lot of flexibility to add your own cset without recoloring anything. plus, there weren't a lot of colors to begin with.

And you know that 00 is the colour that the system uses for empty spaces, such as tiles with no graphic assigned that are usually a black and red square, right?
Is it completely dependant on that colour being a cream colour? Because it looks rather usual.

color 00 has to be cream on csets 0 and 1 to make the game over screen look right since tile 0 has transparencies. i made it pink for all the other csets because i love pink! nah just kidding. it's to tell the difference between transparent and black. lots of other tilesets seem to do the same thing.

Edited by Akkabus, 28 November 2007 - 01:20 PM.

#28 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:18 PM

Akkabus, I just noticed something. On the bottom corners of your OoA Past mountains, the ground is miscolored. Small, but important.

#29 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:06 AM

You know, after using this tileset, I think it would really benefit from a few gaps for the user to create their own combos, I have to keep scrolling to the end of the list already and I've only made about 15 screens.
You haven't got the chimenys from the houses in OoA and OoS by the way.

#30 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:34 PM

ok ebola, i fixed the mountains. thanks for pointing it out.

joe, how many spaces should i leave for each combo section? and where should some spaces be? one obvious area is the divide between ow and dungeons, but do you find yourself needing space in some other areas?

the chimneys are in there. somewhere... =P

thanks, both. you've been nothing but helpful so far with your suggestions.

----

as a sidenote, i've been feeling that my contributions to the set have reached a plateau, so if anyone would like to take over development of this tileset (preferably someone who really wants to make a quest with it), please PM me and let me know, i'll be more than happy to let someone take over.

the way it stands now, there's still some problems and unknowns with the set. i know it's missing a ton of animations. and also i haven't tried making a quest with it, so i don't know how solid the tileset is from the questmaking angle.

Edited by Akkabus, 02 December 2007 - 12:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users