Searching...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Thank god. I thought I was banned AGAIN. That wouldn't be good in my book icon_razz.gif

Well, I hope the server gets a good rest out of this! He sure deserves it after all the work it does icon_smile.gif

#17 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

We have re-enabled searching. But there are two issues you should be aware of.
  1. The flood control has been set to 3 minutes (180 seconds). I'm sorry that this is such a lengthy limit, but it's necessary due to the second item.
  2. I really don't want to be patronizing to everyone, but I must since I like uninterrupted forum browsing. I'm sure other people like that as well. View New Posts is not meant to be the primary means of browsing PureZC's forums! This feature is designed for use when you are visiting after being gone for a bit to see what happened. It is not meant for refreshing every 30 seconds to desperately see if someone posted something new. This causes stress on our server thanks to our ancient version of IPB not being designed with tons of people using the feature like that in mind. So please, be considerate to everyone and only use this feature when you need to rather than at every available opportunity.

We've taken some other steps to hopefully make things smoother. If things go well, we may try reducing the flood control time limit.

Happy searching! icon_smile.gif

#18 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

is there any way to make the view new search a more efficient and less consuming option? it is the primary way I view literally all of the message boards I use regularly. what other mechanism would you recommend? should we open every sub folder in order? I'm not trying to be a dick (I just am one). I want to understand how you suggest we navigate the forums without stressing the server(s).

#19 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

Or, you could just do what I do, and read the forum index. It really isn't that hard. icon_razz.gif

#20 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

...I seriously really had no idea about "View New Posts" for the longest time. I still sort of don't understand the appeal of it- it's just as easy to scroll through the forum index, since you know, the threads that have replies will be on the first fuggin' page.

#21 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Aren't there different icons for forums that have a new post? It's simple deduction via those icons. If the same topic you saw yesterday has no "new posts" icon next to it, then there have been no new topics or posts in that forum since last you saw it. If the same topic does have a new posts icon next to it, then either that topic has new posts, or other topics in addition to that thread in that forum has new posts in it. When you're done with anything you care to read, click the "Mark topics as read" link near the bottom of the forum index. It turns off all of the new posts icons into read icons, and if you refresh the page, you'll see all the new posts as they come in.

#22 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

Aren't there different icons for forums that have a new post? It's simple deduction via those icons. If the same topic you saw yesterday has no "new posts" icon next to it, then there have been no new topics or posts in that forum since last you saw it. If the same topic does have a new posts icon next to it, then either that topic has new posts, or other topics in addition to that thread in that forum has new posts in it. When you're done with anything you care to read, click the "Mark topics as read" link near the bottom of the forum index. It turns off all of the new posts icons into read icons, and if you refresh the page, you'll see all the new posts as they come in.

I'd like to know how to see all the threads that have been posted/replied to besides "View new posts". Where is that forum index you mentioned?

#23 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

You mean this? icon_razz.gif

#24 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

What ShadowTiger is referring to is the main forum index. The Triforce icons on the left indicate whether a forum has any new posts. If it's faded, then there are no new posts. When you are done browsing that forum, you can mark the forum as read by clicking on the Triforce icons or by going into that forum and clicking the "Mark forum as read and return" link in the Forum Options to the top right.

IPB is supposed to mark topics as read when you enter them, I believe, but for some reason IPB2 isn't that great with that functionality. Hopefully the upgrade will help solve that. icon_shrug.gif

#25 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

Okay, it's not as convenient as the new posts button, but... I'll make do without it.

#26 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

Well, we're not saying you shouldn't use it at all. If you use it only once or twice an hour, then it's fine. This mainly comes from the fact that there are people who seem to refresh the "View New Posts" page every 5 minutes.

#27 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Jul 15 2012, 08:01 PM) View Post

What ShadowTiger is referring to is the main forum index. The Triforce icons on the left indicate whether a forum has any new posts. If it's faded, then there are no new posts. When you are done browsing that forum, you can mark the forum as read by clicking on the Triforce icons or by going into that forum and clicking the "Mark forum as read and return" link in the Forum Options to the top right.

IPB is supposed to mark topics as read when you enter them, I believe, but for some reason IPB2 isn't that great with that functionality. Hopefully the upgrade will help solve that. icon_shrug.gif

This is very helpful information that I did not know before

#28 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

I missed this topic the first time around, but someone referred to it, so I read up. I wanted to revive it briefly because I have a very useful suggestion.

People are annoyed that View New Posts is slow, or somesuch. Well, personally, I never use View New Posts, because it can overlook posts that you didn't read the last time you logged on (this is apparently because the feature is designed for when you return after a short absence).

Here is my alternative: Today's Active Posts. This search shows all the topics on the entire PZC forum, sorted in order according to how recently they had activity. It's a great way to keep track of all your posts, because it shows you what's the most currently active, rather than exclusively what you've posted in, or exclusively what's been posted since you last logged in. You can keep reading through the result pages until you're sure you've caught up on all the topics you're interested in.

The link is at the bottom of the forum index page, but I just have it bookmarked. Here's a link for convenience:
Today's Active Topics

I'm not sure whether this puts less of a strain on the server, but it certainly seems fast and reliable to me. I can't remember a time when it rejected me (assuming the rest of the site is working), and I don't recall ever having to wait more than a few seconds.

#29 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Aug 17 2012, 06:33 PM) View Post
The link is at the bottom of the forum index page, but I just have it bookmarked. Here's a link for convenience:
Today's Active Topics

I'm not sure whether this puts less of a strain on the server, but it certainly seems fast and reliable to me. I can't remember a time when it rejected me (assuming the rest of the site is working), and I don't recall ever having to wait more than a few seconds.
That's the same thing (only it seems to show more results). icon_blah.gif

#30 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

it's not that the view new is slow (and it doesn't ignore stuff, it marks them with different shades to indicate if they have been read and with a dot if you posted in the thread, just like as in normal section viewing), it's that it take up site resources. I was one of the douches constantly clicking it (I still am, but now I wait five minutes or so between attempts) when I am browsing this site. the active post one is fine for folks like me who probably haven't been away for a whole day (it will not show you posts from three days ago. though, so if you were gone for a long weekend, it isn't all that helpful), but it doesn't have a convenient one-click button on all forum pages like view new does. view new is easy to use because it gets you all of the stuff that happened since you last viewed the board and the link to use it is ubiquitously prevalent, being at the top of every page. if continues to be there, I will continue to use it. I do try to not do it every three minutes, though.

Edited by trudatman, 17 August 2012 - 06:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users