• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jun 15 2007, 06:09 PM) View Post
I was watching the old ones as little child and enjoy them even now... I haven't seen the new series, didn't even know they exist, but considering the ^above written, it's really a... disgrace. Whenever I dreamed about Tom&Jerry, they were deadly enemies whos didn't even think about being friends... oh, those slapping-whacking nightmares!
Maybe the (new?) authors took THIS picture too serious.

Tom and Jerry were "friends" as it were, in their original adventures, but just not in the same way they are now. (eg. Tom wins the lottery in one of the new episodes, and he doesn't mind sharing the money with Jerry).

QUOTE(Majora's Wrath)
Thank God for DVD's

Yeah! Although I can still watch the original serieses coz Cartoon Network and BBC still show it here.

QUOTE(Animus)
I haven't seen the new series, myself, either, but yeah. Judging from what you mentioned, it must be a disgrace. Tom and Jerry should've ended with "A Purrchance to Dream." Well, the golden age of cartoons seems to have gone, from what I've seen nowadays. icon_sigh.gif

I'll just have to assume that "A Purrchance to Dream" is (or should I say was) the final episode of Tom & Jerry as most people know it. No, when I heard that they were making a new series, I was like "Yaaaaaay!", and they did a test by making a stand alone episode that wasn't part of the series to see if it was a good idea or not. The standalone episode was perfectly Tom and Jerry in every way: Tom and Jerry chasing each other round a mansion, making a gigantic mess, hitting each other on the head with big heavy things etc. They made a few other standalones (of which I have not seen) and people obviously liked them, so they made the new series, and ruined everything.

QUOTE(Eatincake)
Ah, but obviously all those children who grew up watching that cat get his head bashed in by mallets, his tail burned by a fireplace, his crouch bieng kicked with a steel toed boot, all became so terribly violent that we have to make them love eachother, in the false hope that our children will seek love for amusement instead of a ironin board slamming down upon a poor kittens head.

I, uh, agree? Are you being sarcastic?

QUOTE(Eatincake)
T.V. shows are becoming to oppisite. Places like Cartoon Network and Disney all carry extreme P.C. shows, and to counter that we have channels like Comedy Central and Adult Swim. The old shows that weren't to bad on either side (I recall in many cases characters used to get drunk at one point or another) are vastly disappearing, which sucks because if something is completely P.C. (T&J) or completely R (Jackass) it ceases to be funny and just kinda makes ya go, huh? What's so great about this?

That in short is why all channels but the History Channel and Discovery Channel suck.

Okay, I definitely do NOT agree with this. There are actually some really funny episodes of Tom and Jerry, even if they do follow a slightly edited plotline from the previous week's episode.

QUOTE(Snarwin)
They did what to Tom and Jerry?

...I think I'm going to go cry now.

I feel the same way as you. icon_cry.gif

QUOTE(Radien)
Very appropriate VGCats comic.

I'm wondering if maybe they changed it because of all the bad press they've gotten over the years from the parody "Itchy & Scratchy," that fictional cartoon show within the Simpsons that parodies them.

You can get upset at how it isn't true to the original, but personally, I never thought Tom and Jerry was really all that much of a classic to begin with. It's just a cat chasing a mouse. icon_razz.gif Warner Brothers has certainly put out stuff that's better than that. Personally, I think Coyote vs. Roadrunner is much funnier.

Lol. Castchaos also posted that comic earlier, I believe. I think they changed it simply because of the violence "influencing children". WHAT! Are little kids going to start dropping iron's on their sibling's heads, and smash fridge doors shut on them? And Tom and Jerry is a "classic", but the Warner Brother's made episodes made Tom unable to catch jerry at all, which was a bit unfair. I prefer the Hannah Babera originals to the Warner Brother series.

QUOTE(Animus)
Bugs Bunny? Anime-esque super hero? What the heck? The Looney Tunes were meant for childish slapstick humor, NOT anime crime-fighting (and stuff like that)! Now Duck Dodgers was funny. It parodied the superhero crime-fighting idea and made it very humorous.

Johnny Depp? Uhh... ok... no. NOT a good idea for Willy Wonka. I never really enjoyed either the remake or the original, but I still think Gene Wilder was better for the role.

Yep. Looney Tunes has become Loonatics Unleashed. More like Lunatics Unleashed (a horrible cartoon to the world).

QUOTE(Skipper)
You know why?

Because we live in a world where people believe violent TV shows induce violence in kids.

Really, it's sad. I remember, as a kid, watching the old Tom and Jerry cartoons. They were funny. Really funny. Now, they've completely butchered it with these crappy newer episodes when it should have stayed dead. Reminds me of Scooby Doo. Used to be a really good show... now look at what they've done with What's New, Scooby Doo?. I mean, they're even starting to stray from the path of masked villains.

We live in a world of idiots.

See, this is how I feel. We're making so many CGI cartoon films now, and in the next few years Disney is going to make only one traditionaly animated musical cartoon. Before we know it, in the future, it will have been so long since Disney has made such a thing that they'll try again, but change everything and ruin it.

QUOTE(Noel)
There's a new series? Where they DON'T fight!?

... this is the biggest cartoon tragedy since product placement anime.

Exactly.

#17 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 15 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post

I already posted that... icon_sweat.gif
Thinking that violent cartoons makes kids violent is a "fashion" like thinking that the big Earth warms up because little factories or like wearing weird, uncomfortable clothes. I heard somebody say that it's only for low-quality politicians, so they have something to speak about instead of working or saying something meaningful.
I feel deja vu... There was a cartoon, Transformers. I loved it in kindergarden. A few years ago it had a new anime series which sucked so so so so so so bad that it couldn't even be described with a listing of its disgraces.

#18 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE(EatinCake @ Jun 15 2007, 10:33 AM) View Post

Ah, but obviously all those children who grew up watching that cat get his head bashed in by mallets, his tail burned by a fireplace, his crouch bieng kicked with a steel toed boot, all became so terribly violent that we have to make them love eachother, in the false hope that our children will seek love for amusement instead of a ironin board slamming down upon a poor kittens head.

ahhem I grew up watching tom and jerry and I am not violent! You know saying thats is just as bad as say video games make kids violent!!!! All of these case were the kid is violent or suicidal what ever, they were that way before said cause came along!

I don't remember who posted it but the whats new scooby doo, is also old! It was new when I was a kid in the 80's!

but for the new tom and jerry, it has been butchered!

Edited by ennonfenom, 16 June 2007 - 03:36 AM.

#19 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Jun 15 2007, 11:34 PM) View Post
... this is the biggest cartoon tragedy since product placement anime.

Not a big Sailor Moon fan, I take it. icon_wink.gif

QUOTE(Limzo @ Jun 16 2007, 01:01 AM) View Post
I think they changed it simply because of the violence "influencing children". WHAT! Are little kids going to start dropping iron's on their sibling's heads, and smash fridge doors shut on them? And Tom and Jerry is a "classic", but the Warner Brother's made episodes made Tom unable to catch jerry at all, which was a bit unfair. I prefer the Hannah Babera originals to the Warner Brother series.

No, they aren't going to do those major things, but it may teach them other things: like for instance, laughing at someone who is in pain, and learning to mock people for personal enjoyment.

I hope you can guess where that line of thinking leads.

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jun 15 2007, 02:23 PM) View Post
Yeah, Wile E. Coyote and Bugs Bunny were better, IMO. But now, they're ruining Bugs Bunny!!! They've turned him into an anime-esque superhero with the rest of his team.... it's a sad, sad world that we've fallen into. You go to Blockbuster to rent a movie. You walk out and watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on your Panasonic DVD player only to find that Johnny Depp has replaced Gene Wilder. You have stumbled into... the Remake Zone.

First of all, you need to remember back to the original Looney Tunes. Daffy Duck has played everything from a superhero to a detective to a parody of Buck Rogers.

The characters of Looney Tunes are merely a canvas to be painted as they please... it's okay to prefer one type of Looney Tunes cartoon over another, but the origins of the characters are in many ways incidental, so I can't really see it as a "tragedy" just because of character interpretation.

Secondly, I think Johnny Depp was a genius as Willy Wonka. Considering that I never really liked the concept of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a children's novel in the first place, I enjoyed the new movie much, MUCH more than I'd expected.

...I swear, I'm not becoming addicted to playing Devil's Advocate... really...

#20 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:16 AM

I havn't seen the show in a while. *needs to turn over to boomerang*
...but wow. Just wow, like wtf indeedy. *loads a gun*
That's nothing like the violent, politicly incorrect show I used to watch. "Thomaaas! Thomaaas! Get yo tail in here right now and get that mouse or I'ma throwin ya out.". icon_wink.gif

Edited by Mr. Pimpy, 17 June 2007 - 02:17 AM.

#21 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Jun 17 2007, 08:16 AM) View Post
I havn't seen the show in a while. *needs to turn over to boomerang*
...but wow. Just wow, like wtf indeedy. *loads a gun*
That's nothing like the violent, politicly incorrect show I used to watch. "Thomaaas! Thomaaas! Get yo tail in here right now and get that mouse or I'ma throwin ya out.". icon_wink.gif

Some countries are even changing the original. icon_cry.gif I think it is Canada where you can hear an Irish woman "Oh begurah! Thomas, get in here now!". Why on earth Mammy Two shoes needed changing is beyond me.

#22 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:04 AM

Today morning I saw three Tom&Jerry cartoons with the title "Tom & Jerry Tales". This is the one you was referring to? They had new style graphics, two of them housed Spike, one of them housed the black cat, but no other major characters. However, they absolutely weren't friends. In two, Tom tried to eat Jerry, and in the third, Jerry made Tom's life a hell.
The three episodes: (Spoilers?)
1. They were in a Zoo, a monkey painted some animals and Tom making them look like a tiger and the monkey painted the tiger as an officer or such. Meanwhile, Tom tried to eat Jerry.
2. They were in a Zoo, Tom was a zoo worker who should have stop people from feeding the animals but Jerry used all opportunities to feed them.
3. They were at an arctic place, Tom teamed up with the black cat to vanish Jerry's friend, a polar bear and so be able to catch Jerry.

Anyway, I can't compare the Hungarian translation with the original speeches, since I didn't know english well at the time I watched them in English. I didn't even know that she's called Momma Two Shoes. She often yells "Thooooomas!" and uses typocal Hungarian cursings that can't be straight translated to English.

#23 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jun 17 2007, 03:04 PM) View Post
Today morning I saw three Tom&Jerry cartoons with the title "Tom & Jerry Tales". This is the one you was referring to? They had new style graphics, two of them housed Spike, one of them housed the black cat, but no other major characters. However, they absolutely weren't friends. In two, Tom tried to eat Jerry, and in the third, Jerry made Tom's life a hell.
The three episodes: (Spoilers?)
1. They were in a Zoo, a monkey painted some animals and Tom making them look like a tiger and the monkey painted the tiger as an officer or such. Meanwhile, Tom tried to eat Jerry.
2. They were in a Zoo, Tom was a zoo worker who should have stop people from feeding the animals but Jerry used all opportunities to feed them.
3. They were at an arctic place, Tom teamed up with the black cat to vanish Jerry's friend, a polar bear and so be able to catch Jerry.

Yeah, Spike and the Black cat seem to be the only other major characters they have incorporated. You should see the other episodes though. Even if Tom does try and catch/eat/attack Jerry in this new series, the violent 10-minute long chase scenes don't exist any more, and that takes away practically all of the magic of Tom & Jerry.

Anyway, I can't compare the Hungarian translation with the original speeches, since I didn't know english well at the time I watched them in English. I didn't even know that she's called Momma Two Shoes. She often yells "Thooooomas!" and uses typocal Hungarian cursings that can't be straight translated to English.

She says pretty much the same stuff over and over again in the English versions ("Thomas, if you've been in that ice box again!" "Get yo butt here this minute you good for nothing pussy cat!" etc), and I heard that the German versions have her narating the stories as if they had already happened. Now that she is gone, a lot of the Tom and Jerry world has too, since her character's furthest expansion would be to yell at Tom to catch Jerry.

#24 RyanBlazeheart

RyanBlazeheart

Happy Traveling Charizard

• Members

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:50 AM

I loved Tom and Jerry and no I don't know anything at all about these new ones. What's happening to the world?

#25 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(Limzo @ Jun 17 2007, 09:21 AM) View Post

Some countries are even changing the original. icon_cry.gif I think it is Canada where you can hear an Irish woman "Oh begurah! Thomas, get in here now!". Why on earth Mammy Two shoes needed changing is beyond me.

icon_blink.gif

#26 Bowser Blanchette

Bowser Blanchette

Tatsumi is ready to roll!

• Members

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:44 PM

I haven't seen the new series yet. I like the old classic Tom & Jerry better.

#27 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Jun 18 2007, 12:46 AM) View Post

icon_blink.gif

Eh? What do you mean?

#28 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:02 AM