Photo

Does anyone here know what Star Ocean EX is?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RyanBlazeheart

RyanBlazeheart

Happy Traveling Charizard

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:45 PM

It's an Anime version of Star Ocean The Second Story.

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:03 PM

Tales the Animation is better IMO.

#3 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE(Blackdrake1 @ Jun 11 2007, 02:45 PM) View Post

It's an Anime version of Star Ocean The Second Story.

Well... that's true if you simply want the topic to be in FAQ format. icon_razz.gif

Here's my answer:

Star Ocean EX is an anime that was intended to be a two-season recreation of the story from Star Ocean 2, based on a manga which did the same in print format. It was, however, canceled after the first season.

The manga was relatively successful. It had incredible art, but the anime lacked the budget to say the same. I was disappointed that SOEX contained almost none of the music from the video game. The soundtrack would have been far superior if they'd hired Sakuraba to do the anime as well. So, aesthetically speaking, it was okay, but it had the potential to have been much better. The story, though? That... worked differently.

The story was very true to the game, and also a very good rendition of it. However, they unfortunately chose a game with a rather mediocre story when they decided to be "true to the game." icon_razz.gif I wish they'd done it with a different game, because I'd like to see more console-RPG-based anime that follow the game's story more closely... but only with games where the original story is worth preserving.

If you liked the game enough, you'll find it enjoyable to see the characters in full animation with voice acting. My favorite character, Ashton, gets more development, but he's also much whinier, so it's a mixed bunch. I was quite amused to see them expand some of the NPCs roles, though, like the now-prominent pink-haired Jam Girl. ^_^ However, there are going to be parts where you snort at the pettiness of the filler episodes or the cheesiness of the plot episodes.

The fact that they didn't do a second season is a mixed blessing. The second season was basically going to be the second disc of the game. However, I hated the story of the second disc. Losing it means we don't get to see Chisato, but it also means no Noel. Yay! I hated Noel. icon_razz.gif (no relation to the PureZC member)

I never saw the last episode of the 1st (and only) season. However, for whatever reason I have no burning desire to actually go do so. Perhaps I've just seen enough to satisfy me.

So, to sum it up: if you worshiped the game, you may like the anime. However, if you merely LIKED the game -- or haven't played it -- then you will probably do better to simply look at the art books put out by the manga artist. Or if you REALLY hunger for the best Star Ocean 2-based story out there, try to hunt down some scanlations of the Japanese manga (something I never bothered to do...just the pretty art is enough for me).

Ultimately, though, if you want a superior story... just go play Star Ocean 3. icon_wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users