• Banned

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:12 PM

I've never heard of N.

#3 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:29 PM

Aww man! I love this game! I played it a long time ago, but I forgot it existed. I really want to get this game when it comes out for the DS! icon_biggrin.gif I hope it keeps the same physics!

(IMO, the DS version may handle this game a little better, due to the fact that you can see more of the game with two screens.)

#4 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:04 PM

I just spent the last week re-playing that game. icon_eek.gif I remember when the first version came out and I was the only person at my school who could beat the whole thing in a lunch hour.

I want this game SO badly. I can't wait!

#5 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:33 PM

Ah, I remember that. Cool, though hope they don't **** this up

#6 trip i fall

trip i fall

Magus

• Members

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:55 PM

It makes me wonder what ever happened to Cave Story PSP. That looked pretty cool...

#7 jimbob

jimbob

Accepting that no-one will get my avatar.

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:23 PM

Because it's a free PC game, I won't bother getting the DS verison. If it wasn't already on the PC, I 100% would get this as it's a cool retro game.

They're doing this with Line Rider as well...

#8 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:40 PM

Hmm, I haven't heard of it. Since it's free, could someone link to a site that provides the game? I can't very well search for "N" in Google, you see... icon_razz.gif

#9 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:39 PM

Here you go Radien.

Wow, I would've never thought that this game would become a hand held game. The level editor was my favorite part.

#10 RyanBlazeheart

RyanBlazeheart

Happy Traveling Charizard

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:59 PM

What's "N" about?

#11 trip i fall

trip i fall

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:51 PM

It's a flash platformer that hs gained popularity over the years for it's... I dunno.

It's just fun.

#12 jimbob

jimbob

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

It's about a ninja who has to exit a room by opening a door and going through it.

It doesn't really matter what it's about, as it's just a "cool ninja avoids bad robots" game. But you don't appreciate how good it is until you see it moving - the animation's brilliant.

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:28 AM

Damn you all! This is so addicting that I spent 3 hours on it. icon_wink.gif Well, I can definitely say I appreciate how good it is. I think I'd better stop now, though, because I've played enough mindless platformers for one lifetime. (I mean that in a good way)

This actually reminds me greatly of the platformers on the Commodore 64, years and years ago. They tended to have non-scrolling jumping games where you could see the entire playing field at once, the player sprite was tiny, mistakes were fatal, story was non-existent, and the difficulty was very high.

Here's an example of one game: Jumpman. In each level you had to collect all the flowers while avoiding enemies you had no way of defeating.

IPB Image

The game is actually VERY similar in some ways. N is simply taking it to the next level by adding 360 degree physics and velocity to the mix. And a ninja. Who can wall jump. It's simply a good mix.

Okay, now that I've truly dated myself... icon_razz.gif Before I make myself look too old, let me point out that this was one of the first video games I ever played. Here's the one I spent most of my time playing until I got an NES. icon_naughty.gif *lol*

#14 jimbob

jimbob

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 12 2007, 09:28 AM) View Post

This actually reminds me greatly of the platformers on the Commodore 64, years and years ago. They tended to have non-scrolling jumping games where you could see the entire playing field at once, the player sprite was tiny, mistakes were fatal, story was non-existent, and the difficulty was very high.

Here's an example of one game: Jumpman. In each level you had to collect all the flowers while avoiding enemies you had no way of defeating.

Okay, now that I've truly dated myself... icon_razz.gif

Bless your retro-gaming self. Single-screen platformers for the win! N reminds me a bit od Chuckie Egg - which is very similar (almost lawsuit-similar) to Jumpman above.

#15 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE(jimbob @ Jun 12 2007, 02:39 PM) View Post

Bless your retro-gaming self. Single-screen platformers for the win! N reminds me a bit od Chuckie Egg - which is very similar (almost lawsuit-similar) to Jumpman above.

I might gasp and say "COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT!", but the truth is that LOTS of games from that era looked like that: randomly-placed platforms, ladders, and wandering enemies. I mean, come on: even Donkey Kong had that. icon_wink.gif I can also think of some others that did, like Burgertime (contrary to first impressions, the game wasn't a playable advertisement for any fast food chain).

Wow, Wikipedia has just informed me that Burgertime was a Japanese game... didn't expect that. I guess you learn something new everyday.

By the way, if any of you are interested in other cutting-edge Flash games, try out this one: Seventh Sky. It requires a little bit of thought to learn how each of the weapons work, but once you do, it's a pretty awesome and simple flying combat game with giant transforming robots, laser swords, energy shields, and heat-seeking missiles. Very addictive, especially if you like Japanese mecha. icon_biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users