Custom Subscreen Screenshots

• Please log in to reply
1493 replies to this topic

#1426 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

I would keep them as "commonly thought of icons" (i.e. A, B etc.). It adds to the illusion. Using "what they really are" is 1) up to the player's set up anyways and 2) kind of "breaking the third wall" or whatever wall it is that makes a fangame appear as though it could be a company release, however vaguely.

#1427 Sparkster

Sparkster

The Sparking Spark of ZC

• Members

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

Great work! What is that cross-boomerang thingy?

That's a raft item. I called it "Drehgleiter" in german. I'll translate it into "Spinning Wheel" in English.

#1428 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:55 PM

That's a raft item. I called it "Drehgleiter" in german. I'll translate it into "Spinning Wheel" in English.

Why not just reskin it into Spinner, ala Twilight Princess? From top-down view, it should look like a cog.

#1429 Sparkster

Sparkster

The Sparking Spark of ZC

• Members

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:36 AM

Maybe I'll show you the raft paths I drew in another update. Thanks for your suggest.

#1430 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

And here we have my partially completed but currently halted Project Wizzrobe.

ProjectWizzrobe.png

Top Left: Empty subscreen.              Top Right: Full subscreen.

Bottom Left: Passive Subscreen.  Note the disconnected B and A frames.               Bottom Right: Dungeon Subscreen

I fell victim to the 'Ooh look at all the shiny items' syndrome, and had to shove every single one I could find into the game.  Of note:

• Dash Attack Scroll.  Put Pegasus boots in one slot and sword in the other, and you can dash attack.
  • Downward Stab Scroll.  Put Roc's feather in one slot and sword in the other, and you can down stab.  Currently broken.
  • Bomb Arrow Scroll. Put normal bombs in one slot and bow in the other, and you get explosive arrows.
  • Slash Scroll.  I cheated on this one.  Pick up the item, it warps you to a room where you gain slash.
  • Five (count 'em) different songs.

I'd love to rework this to make the rings equippable (one at a time).

• judasrising, MoscowModder, Avaro and 3 others like this

#1431 Sparkster

Sparkster

The Sparking Spark of ZC

• Members

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:39 AM

This is better than my subscreen.
Good Job.

#1432 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:00 AM

That subscreen is friggin' amazing. 

#1433 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

Oustanding subscreen! I love how well structured and organized it looks. No critiques from me.

#1434 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:29 AM

Now the things that don't work (yet):

In the Bugs window, under each of the copper (green) and silver (bluish) bugs are supposed to be numbers (counters)- you can gather multiple of these.  Currently, it does not count correctly. Also, apparently, the silver mothula icon is missing...

The Cane item is currently a dummy item.  Don't know what I want to go in there.

The Seashell is actually a 'Blink' spell that teleports you randomly 3-5 squares forward and 0-2 squares left or right- unless doing so would put you inside something solid (or water), in which case it drops you back where you started and deals quite a bit of damage (a percentage, so almost never enough to kill).

The black Ocarina (song) is called the Song of Nothing.  It currently lives up to its name.  But I have plans!

As mentioned, the Downward Stab Scroll breaks my script.  Sad but true.  (actually, everything is fine until I actually perform the move, then it breaks my script.  All of it.)

On the three circles I have planned three crystals, within which three royals are to be imprisoned ala LttP.  Not completed yet.

I would like, at some point, to move the Rings to the passive subscreen and make each equippable in turn by using L/R.  Currently beyond my practical understanding (meaning I'm putting it off and hoping I can get someone to help me with it).

At some point, I will create a space to indicate a Companion (and perhaps identify them).  In several places, the main character is followed by different NPCs as part of a puzzle/sidequest/game/nuisance.

Edited by symbiote01, 19 May 2015 - 06:29 AM.

#1435 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

And here we have my partially completed but currently halted Project Wizzrobe.

ProjectWizzrobe.png

Top Left: Empty subscreen.              Top Right: Full subscreen.

Bottom Left: Passive Subscreen.  Note the disconnected B and A frames.               Bottom Right: Dungeon Subscreen

I fell victim to the 'Ooh look at all the shiny items' syndrome, and had to shove every single one I could find into the game.  Of note:

• Dash Attack Scroll.  Put Pegasus boots in one slot and sword in the other, and you can dash attack.
  • Downward Stab Scroll.  Put Roc's feather in one slot and sword in the other, and you can down stab.  Currently broken.
  • Bomb Arrow Scroll. Put normal bombs in one slot and bow in the other, and you get explosive arrows.
  • Slash Scroll.  I cheated on this one.  Pick up the item, it warps you to a room where you gain slash.
  • Five (count 'em) different songs.

I'd love to rework this to make the rings equippable (one at a time).

That's flipping gorgeous mate!

With regard to your rings, if you want code for that, I could send it to you rather quickly. I have 'equip' functions in my library for just this sort of thing, but you'll need to be explicit in how you want that to work. (e.g. Pressing R changes rings, disables a specific ring, or else?)

If you simply want to make equipping a ring work via the subscreen, and the R-button thing is a fancy, it's even easier. One thing I'm doing, is making all of the ordinarily passive items, equipped, or un-equipped by user selection. That will become important for some of my puzzle concepts, and it also helps with the ladder-and-flipper conflicts in just about any game.

Making it possible to un-equip an item that's ordinarily passive is very straightforward. Ensuring that the player can only have one item of a single type equipped at a time is also rather straightforward, and as I said, I already have code for that.

(I plan to permit two rings, one set of eyewear, one set of footwear, one set of clothing, one type of armour, and so forth, equipped at a time, using traditional RPG 'body slots'. )

Note: It's also quite easy to enable moving the item selector between more than one area. If you want to keep passive items in their own space, the user can simply move the selector over to them.

P.S. The best way to contact me, for code, is via Skype.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 20 May 2015 - 01:45 PM.

#1436 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:44 PM

I have to say that that is one of the most beautiful subscreens I've ever seen. Technically speaking it's nothing really special (that I can see), but the aesthetics are just perfect.

• Binx likes this

#1437 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:10 AM

I have to say that that is one of the most beautiful subscreens I've ever seen. Technically speaking it's nothing really special (that I can see), but the aesthetics are just perfect.

That's about how I feel about it. The striking , contrasting blue, that doesn't distract too much from the action; dark hues with a techno-organic vibe, and the amount of material without feeling cluttered. Even the blank item slots seem alive, and feel as part of the whole.

The staggered items, staircasing down, is a distinct factor, that adds to this overall 'living' sensation, and binds it together.

Usually, a lack of white space (or black space) would be bad design, but this makes it work. That three-part blue element in the centre, converting into a map display, or whatever display is needed, is a perfect finishing touch. The only way to expand on that theme, would be to animate the map area 'growing' into view.

Admittedly, I love dark, and technological / steampunk / organic styles, so it's a personal prejudice, but it goes beyond that here. I have no idea what the game is about, but the image of the subscreen makes me want to know. That should state quite simply how fetching the design is, in my personal perspective.

It's also nice to see someone going away from the ultra-clean look. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's been done many times, and I like seeing new ideas, rather than trend-following.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 21 May 2015 - 03:15 AM.

#1438 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:18 PM

zelda010.png

It's not quite complete yet, I haven't done any of the Quest item stuff yet, nor do I have all of the quests items ready. (And I might make some other tweaks.) But this is what my subscreens look like currently. :>
  • Shane, Sheik, MoscowModder and 2 others like this

#1439 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

Screenshot_4_zpsut4sfor1.png

Current subscreen for the BSMC tileset. What do you guys think? I know the heart meter is small right now, but it's not a concern. Plus it looks cute. :P

Edited by Jared, 22 September 2015 - 05:52 PM.

• Moonbread, Shane and Demonlink like this

#1440 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:52 AM

zelda092.png

Been working some more on the HUD. Some of the counters are not configured to the right places yet though~

• Demonlink and coolgamer012345 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users