Renewal? No thank you.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:37 AM

Alright, so last night, I finished a little article I wrote for the gaming magazine that I currently work for. (GameReactor)
TS wanted me to translate it and post it up here, so... here it is. I did this late last night, so the wording might not be perfect, but I'm sure you'll be able to understand and get my point. It's harder to translate Norwegian articles like this, because they're written in a very different matter than I'd, say, write in a post over here... anyways, here it is. Please feel free to provide your own opinion and/or discuss.

Renewal? No thanks.

With every release of a new Zelda game, people complain about how the lacks voice acting. «Why are they still using text for every conversation?» «Why doesn't Link speak?» «Why doesn't Nintendo jump on the train to present-day?» Is it time for Zelda to grow up? Absolutely not!

From the first Zelda game that came out in 1987, to the newest addition to the series, Phantom Hourglass, Link has said four words, all four in Japanese, and they can all be looked at as battle cries. Main characters that doesn't speak, is a pretty common phenomenon when it comes to game. Games like Grand Theft Auto 3 and Halo has a main character that doesn't speak, or say very little. This has got a function, of course, even though a lot of people believe that every single character should be the biggest talking-bird ever. I couldn't disagree more. Ofcourse, if a character talks and shows his emotions this way, that's a really good way to get people to understand the personality of said character, but if a game developer is able to show this without having to get a voic actor, that in itself is a sign of a real genious. Like the Disney Pixar movie, Wall-E. In Wall-E, the main robo-character doesn't speak much, and has only a few words to play with... still, Pixar is able to truly show the emotions Wall-E all the time.

Another reason to throw away the idea of voice acting, is the fact that without it, the player can really connect to the character in an entirely different way than possible if said character was talking. When you're playing Halo, you ARE Master Chief. When he talks, he says exactly what you would have in that same situation, and not cheesy lines right from the Terminator movies. When you're riding on Epone through Hyrule Field, it's no one else than you doing this... you are the hero of Hyrule, and that's a feeling a game like “Uncharted: Drakes Fortune” can't give you, as the main character, Nathan Drake, is a very talkative person. This is one of the strongest features that helps to make Zelda what it is.

Even through Link hasn't spoken a word through the entire series, other characters have had a thing or two to say. Ever since 1987, all conversations in Zelda has been presented to the player through text. Just like with the talking Link problem, people are complaining that there are no voice acting involved. My only question is; is this really necessary? Why do one really need to hear all the weird characters of Zelda? The point of the conversation won't change, just because there's an actor reading lines, instead of you... the little dialog box that pops up from under the screen when someone is talking to you... the little sound every individual letter makes when it pops up onto the screen... that gives the series a certain charm that for example the Final Fantasy series doesn't have anymore.

And when it comes down to it, I'm not so sure you really want to actually hear Tingle talk to you... maybe the two sound effects he makes every time he talks to you is enough? Are you very interested in hearing Arnold Schwarzenegger as Ganondorf? And for the love of God, is it really necessary to hear Navi more than we already are? No, far from it. I don't even understand how someone could even get the idea! It's disgusting and more importantly, it would destroy the series as we know it. I don't want Charles Martinet as the noble warrior Link... which in fact is pretty probable, if Nintendo were to give Link a voice, considering the sheer number of Miyamoto characters Martinet is already playing. No matter what Nintendo decides to change in the future, I hope, with all of my heart, that they leave these features alone. It's the essence of Zelda, and hopefully Nintendo agrees with me.

Robin Høyland

The setup was destroyed upon pasting it into the topic, but I've included a Open Office Writer file for those of you who find it hard to read:
DOWNLOAD

#2 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:50 AM

Good article. It explains very well why the Zelda developers don't use voice acting. And I agree. When you hear (for example) Tingle make that little sound effect when he talks, you start to imagine his voice in your head. So you use your own imagination instead of something that already exists. Same counts for books instead of films, you have to imagine everything yourself.

#3 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

Only problem is the lack of ability to skip cut scenes in like 95% of all zelda games.

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

Uh— You're wrong about Halo. Sure, he doesn't speak during the gameplay, but in the cutscenes, he speaks plenty. icon_blah.gif

The last paragraph hit the nail right on the head. I don't want to listen to Tingle talk; besides, I already got a good voice for him up in my head. icon_deformed.gif That's the other beauty about Zelda: All the characters sound how you want them to sound, not like some n00bs Nintendo wants you to think they sound like. Sure, they all have their grunts and stuff, but, that's it. Half the time, the voice I envision a character using doesn't sound like the grunts and stuff they really have. Niko, for instance, I envision with something of a high-pitched Aussie accent, and his little whoops sound nothing like an Aussie. icon_razz.gif

#5 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:26 PM

When you read a book, the main character looks how you want him to look. Then you see the movie of the book, and you can't help but imagine the character as you saw in the movie as the one in the book the next time you read it.

It's kind of like that with Zelda. If you heard Link talk, that's how he will sound in every other Zelda game.

#6 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:28 PM

no, u no wat? u mak Zelda like Halo it be best game evr m i rite? cause Link saves the power and doesn't afraid of anything. It needs action missiles too.

...or a small kick back to the days of not having so many damn clues.

#7 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Aug 18 2009, 10:05 PM) View Post
Uh— You're wrong about Halo. Sure, he doesn't speak during the gameplay, but in the cutscenes, he speaks plenty. icon_blah.gif

The last paragraph hit the nail right on the head. I don't want to listen to Tingle talk; besides, I already got a good voice for him up in my head. icon_deformed.gif That's the other beauty about Zelda: All the characters sound how you want them to sound, not like some n00bs Nintendo wants you to think they sound like. Sure, they all have their grunts and stuff, but, that's it. Half the time, the voice I envision a character using doesn't sound like the grunts and stuff they really have. Niko, for instance, I envision with something of a high-pitched Aussie accent, and his little whoops sound nothing like an Aussie. icon_razz.gif
I've played all three Halo games, and I can say for sure that saying he speaks "plenty" isn't exactly right. Sure, he has his moments... and especially during the later parts of Halo 3. But you can't honestly say that he speaks plenty. That's just not right. XD

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

And for the love of God, is it really necessary to hear Navi more than we already are?

I cracked up when I read this. icon_xd.gif

Pretty good. You presented your argument in a convincing and humorous manor. I actually do agree with you, just having a couple of sound effects for each character like they have in MC works best.

Here's an idea for the next article. Samus has never talked in any Metroid game before, but in Other M, she's going to talk. It might be an interesting subject to right on, to sort of match the current one. icon_smile.gif

#9 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

Not true. Samus talked plenty in Metroid Fusion.

#10 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

She also talked plenty in Super Metroid, how she catches everyone up with the events leading up to Super Metroid (minus Prime). In many ways, I'm knda hoping Other M lets you play in this souped up version remake of Metroid II, really. But I digress.

I do prefer how Nintendo handled the Zelda series. While people moan about midi in the game, it does has its charms. Super Mario orchestrated had me disappointed, it didn't fit. This probably will be okay for Zelda, it's more fitting and less arcade. Anyways, the fact Nintendo can make most of their characters connectible with little words even nowadays is true genious. Few "little words" characters allow you to really feel them. Some are absolutely fantastic (Crono from Chrono Trigger, anyone?) and some are just pretty bad (ironicaly, Serge, from Chrono Cross). If you want an example of how bad giving a player's voice is bad, play Golden Sun and then Golden Sun: Lost Age. Isaac suddenly gains his voice in the sequel, and won't shut up! >_<

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Aug 18 2009, 04:53 PM) View Post

Not true. Samus talked plenty in Metroid Fusion.

Apart from her many monologues, she talked during one cutscene the entire game. Not exactly talking plenty, though I was glad to here her talk some.

QUOTE(SwordOfSeals @ Aug 18 2009, 07:08 PM) View Post

Few "little words" characters allow you to really feel them.

Agreed. Ever notice how Mario really has no personality? The only ones I can think of that really worked well are Baby Mario/Luigi, Link, and Lucas. They speak with actions louder than with words.

#12 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:38 AM

Super Mario RPG is the best representation of how Mario doesn't really need a voice aside from the occasional "woohoos" of his jumps and attacks. Honestly, I like his acting and jumping around frantically better than talking. Reading is BORING.

#13 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

And yet another bond made between Zelda and Halo (I've been making a tally of those, you know, ever since I saw that halo symbol that looks like a triforce).

Excellent article. Hate to disappoint, though, but this does not discourage me from having Link talk in my Majora's Mask fan movie. In fact, it more solidifies my thought that Link should talk. In the games he is better off not talking, but on screen, you don't have that same connection like you do in the game.

Also, I noticed around halfway through the article, Epona is spelled wrong. Hate to nitpick but being I'm me, that'll bug me forever.

QUOTE(Russ @ Aug 19 2009, 01:55 AM) View Post

Agreed. Ever notice how Mario really has no personality? The only ones I can think of that really worked well are Baby Mario/Luigi, Link, and Lucas. They speak with actions louder than with words.

Double agreed, and I would like to note Wind Waker Link especially out of all the Links. He had actions that practically shouted at you, even considering half of his dialogue was screaming from being blasted and tossed and catapulted across the sea. His face often showed fear and likewise fearlessness, distress and inversely happiness, and most prominent of all is that look of exhausted accomplishment when he slumps over after killing Ganondorf.

Perhaps it was simply because this was the first Zelda game where they had the space and capabilities in the programming to display a wider range of emotions.

Edited by PowerGauntlets, 20 August 2009 - 07:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users