Photo

Golden Memories Demo #2 - RELEASED!

DEMO NEED CRITIQUE

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: GOLDEN MEMORIES DEMO #2

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

How would you rate this demo?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:58 AM

zelda078-3.png

GOLDEN MEMORIES - DEMO #2

Presented by: Dawnlight (Developer) & Xenix (Co-Developer)

SPECIAL THANKS TO: Jared, Ventus, Demonlink, and Shane for beta-testing this demo!

WARNING: REQUIRES ZC 2.50.1 TO PLAY!

DOWNLOAD LINK

I know I was late for the ZC Expo, but here it is. The second demo for Zelda: Golden Memories. This demo features the complete first part of the game showing off several of its key features and showing how the main game is going to be structured. Those who played Demo #1 will also see brand new changes implemented thanks to all of your critique. I definitely put consideration to all the feedback that you guys gave to me, and I wouldn't be able to make these improvements and without the help of you. Thanks!

WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THIS DEMO:

• The first two blocks of the Tower of Memories
  • Five overworld maps to explore (Including Stallion's Peak which is a new addition in this demo)
  • Two dungeons (Level 1-A & Level 1-B)
  • Story elements. 
  • Four available Heart Container pieces.

Estimated demo time - 2 hours

MAJOR CHANGES FROM DEMO #1:

• New Magic System. Magic now regenerates when used. This is to prevent the player from not being able to progress without magic and to balance out certain items.
  • Roc's Feather is now its own dedicated button. It is assigned to EX1.
  • Roc's Feather now consumes magic. (To compliment the new magic system)
  • The pitfall script is now implemented.
  • You can now jump on edges.
  • Warps in dungeon entrances now go to the boss room instead of the sub-boss room. <- The most requested feature from Demo #1
  • The "Follow the String" puzzle in Level 1-B has been removed and changed to a chess board puzzle.

IF YOU FIND BUGS - Please PM Dawnlight and Xenix A.S.A.P.

YOUR FEEDBACK IS NEEDED - Once you finish the demo, I really appreciate your feedback! Please go all out when it comes to your feedback regarding this quest. Point out stuff that you liked, disliked, and the things that myself and Xenix can do to improve this quest. We are currently developing new areas and dungeons for this quest, and your feedback can make a huge difference in our design and implementation of future maps.

Here is a survey that I prepared that I would really like you guys to fill out once you finish:

GOLDEN MEMORIES DEMO #2 - PLAYER SURVEY

1.) How long did it take for you to finish the demo (reaching the 8th floor of the Tower of Memories)?

2.) What was your favorite overworld map presented in this demo? Why?

3.) What was your least favorite overworld map presented in this demo? Why?

4.) Which dungeon (Level 1-A or Level 1-B) did you like the most from this demo? Why?

5.) I designed Golden Memories in which the player can choose the order in what dungeons to explore to get Triforce pieces spread throughout four parts. What's your feedback regarding the non-linearity portion of Golden Memories? And how can I improve this for later portions of the game?

6.) Were the objectives in this game too abstract in which you got lost easily? Please list any area of the demo in which you found the objective too abstract.

7.) How do you describe the difficulty of this demo overall?

8.) I personally believe that the plot scenes can be improved to a higher degree. What areas do you think I should improve on regarding the story elements found in this game?

9.) What are your thoughts on the new Magic system?

10.) Which items do you think is unbalanced overall and could use some nerfing?

11.) Overall, what elements did you really like in this demo?

12.) Overall, what elements did you really hate in this demo?

13.) What other forms of critique do you have regarding this demo?

Edited by Dawnlight, 22 December 2014 - 01:13 AM.

• Shane, Eddy, Jared and 2 others like this

#2 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:02 AM

I'm glad to hear. 

However, I won't be playing right at this time.

However, I will be returning to demos immediately after my Holiday Special with a brand new special. Your demo is included in that special. 

#3 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:04 AM

Perfect! I'm glad to hear that the demo is out!

This is something that I will be definitely playing soon. Hopefully I can provide some constructive criticism. I'm sure that this will be an amazing demo, though. Looking forward to trying it. :)

#4 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:05 AM

I'm glad to hear. 

However, I won't be playing right at this time.

However, I will be returning to demos immediately after my Holiday Special with a brand new special. Your demo is included in that special. 

Awesome! It would be nice if some can LP this demo so I can gather information on what I can improve on for future development! ;)

#5 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:10 AM

Sweet that the Demo is official now! I say everyone this is a must play demo!. The balance in this is fantastic and the world is fun to explore and then some. :)

I might do a Stream of this on my twitch channel sometime later next week! It shall be a fun one ;) Also let me say Timber Road is best road in the world!

#6 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:19 AM

Awesome! It would be nice if some can LP this demo so I can gather information on what I can improve on for future development! ;)

You know I will, but that's not always a great thing. As my skills improve, the more critical I have become. I might be a bit nit picky at times. Lol

#7 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:47 AM

Also went ahead and filled out the Survey!

My survey! Answers

#8 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:17 AM

This is terrific news!

I've downloaded this and I'll be sure to play this later on in the day.

Can't wait to see what you've got in store for us.

#9 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:29 AM

SHANE'S GOLDEN MEMORIES DEMO #2 - PLAYER SURVEY

Contains Spoilers
I'm sorry that I didn't get to help as much as I wanted to, but congratulations on releasing another successful demo!

#10 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

This demo made my day. I loved it so much and there is so much to do, so much to explore. Easily one of the best things you'll ever see in ZC! Everything was great. The screen design, the palettes, the areas, the story, the dungeons. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this quest goes in the future. Can't wait to play the whole thing! This demo is not only extremely fun to play, but also very inspiring. :) I have a few things to nitpick on, but I'll get to that at the end of this post. I'm going to fill out the survey:

1.) How long did it take for you to finish the demo (reaching the 8th floor of the Tower of Memories)?
I did not only reach the 8th floor of the Tower of Memories, I've got the spin attack and 3 of 4 HCPs too (1 in Lufina Woods, 1 in the town and 1 in Stallion's Peak I believe). :) It took me about 3 hours. Nice length for a demo. I didn't play it all in one go.

2.) What was your favorite overworld map presented in this demo? Why?
Hmm, hard to choose. I'd say Stallion's Peak was my favourite, because I generally like mountain areas, especially if they are done so well. I loved all areas though! I'm not exaggerating when I say that every screen in this quest is SotW worthy.

3.) What was your least favorite overworld map presented in this demo? Why?
Well, my least favourite one was probably Aether woods, mainly because I didn't like the maze so much :O. I loved the atmosphere, the music and the screendesign though. With the maze, I think the hints are sometimes too obscure.

4.) Which dungeon (Level 1-A or Level 1-B) did you like the most from this demo? Why?
I liked Level 1-A, the Forsaken Cavern more, I just really enjoyed going through it. Though, I loved all dungeons in this demo really, including the Tower of Memories :). Every dungeon had something amazing going for it. Lufina Ruins has this mysterious atmosphere, the interesting puzzles and the great backstory. The Forsaken Cavern has amazing screen design and uniqueness for a cavern dungeon, and I enjoyed tracking down the switches. Also, a Defense System as a boss? Why not! :D The Tower of Memories is great because it's generally a great idea. A dungeon that does not really exist; or does it? This dungeon has a great music and fun puzzles. It reminds me so much of the Tower of Spirits from Spirit Tracks, and that was one of the best thing that could happen to the Zelda series in my opinion.

5.) I designed Golden Memories in which the player can choose the order in what dungeons to explore to get Triforce pieces spread throughout four parts. What's your feedback regarding the non-linearity portion of Golden Memories? And how can I improve this for later portions of the game?
The non-linearity approach is great! Keep it like that for later portions of the game. I was just too stupid to find the right NPC to talk to for retrieving the motto, so I went to Lufina Ruins first. xD

6.) Were the objectives in this game too abstract in which you got lost easily? Please list any area of the demo in which you found the objective too abstract.
Like I said, I couldn't find the right NPC to talk to for getting the motto at fist. Maybe give out more clues. The other thing is that maze puzzle in Aether Woods which is just way too abstract. I had a problem with this area back when playing the first demo too. If it weren't for Shane, I'd have to resort to trial and error yet again. The idea for the maze is great, though. Maybe try to make the hints more obvious. You could put signs in some of the screens that give out hints on what you should pay attention to.

7.) How do you describe the difficulty of this demo overall?
It's perfect.

8.) I personally believe that the plot scenes can be improved to a higher degree. What areas do you think I should improve on regarding the story elements found in this game?
I loved the cutscenes and the story. They are great the way they are :)

9.) What are your thoughts on the new Magic system?
Again, it's perfect. Please keep this new system!

10.) Which items do you think is unbalanced overall and could use some nerfing?
I don't think any item is unbalanced.

11.) Overall, what elements did you really like in this demo?
Basically, everything. The choice of music, the palettes and screen design, the story and cutscenes, the puzzles, the overworld exploration and the dungeons. It's rare to see quests that look as perfect as this!

12.) Overall, what elements did you really hate in this demo?
There was nothing that I "really hated", besides the end-of-the-demo-barriers of course. I enjoyed playing through everything in the demo!

13.) What other forms of critique do you have regarding this demo?

Welp, I got some minor nitpicks on a few things. Here's a list:

Spoiler

Edited by Avataro, 22 December 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#11 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:34 PM

So, I'm gonna go ahead and say this: This is amazing, and it definitely deserves a 5/5.

As for the survey, all my thoughts are reflected in there, so open up the spoiler to get your responses. (Responses are in red)

Survey

This demo really got me into the project and I wish you and Xenix best of luck for the future on this quest! :D

Edited by EddyTheOliveira, 22 December 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#12 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

why does trying to exit the Tower of Memories on your first trip there cause Link to get hurt?  the door is closed, why I am falling into a pit that isn't there?

the "mini boss" room guarding the warp station, and first memory would look a lot more professional if you used a script to generate each successive round of enemies.

edit:

ok, how about a clue to figuring out Aether Woods?  looking at my surroundings isn't working for me.  kinda makes the player feel stupid after all the hand holding tutorial stuff for literally every step before this.  i'm tired of just wandering around trial and erroring the maze.  its the kinda thing that makes me just want to stop playing - especially since there doesn't seem to be anything else i can do at the moment...

not getting the sense of non-linearity that you refer to in one of your questions.  maybe it opens up past where i quit.  but its been extremely linear to this point.

other cons for me:

- sword swing doesn't pick up item-drops.

- the doorway floor tile in the tower of memories.  just stands out too much, doesn't blend in to the rest of the dungeon.

- as Avataro mentioned the pots break animation is weird.  probably due to the combo cycling bug.  could be fixed with single frame animation combo cycling.

- wasn't a fan of the cold open.  i get to explore a smaller part of the starting village where there is nothing to do before finishing the opening credits and intro sequence, yay!

- i got this weird sense of Star Wars during the intro sequence from the background image and some of the dialogue.

- it was really hard to position myself to be able to read the note on the ground outside the house.  didn't matter much, as i already had the key.

- i find the background image for the mini-map to be distracting.

- no spacebar map

pros:

- screen design is amazing

- the enemies feel fresh and new

- the music is nice, as are the sound effects.  i especially like the sound effect during dialogue that something happened.

- very professional

Edited by justin, 23 December 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#13 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:40 PM

why does trying to exit the Tower of Memories on your first trip there cause Link to get hurt?  the door is closed, why I am falling into a pit that isn't there?

the "mini boss" room guarding the warp station, and first memory would look a lot more professional if you used a script to generate each successive round of enemies.

Someone else spotted that. It looks like a bug. As for that script, that would be extremely useful to have something like that. :)

#14 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

As for that script, that would be extremely useful to have something like that. :)

working on it.  all works, except i need to fake the enemies dropping from the ceiling...  

#15 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

I'll be more specific next time regarding the Aether Woods puzzle for that was another infamous criticism for people who played demo #1.

Here's the solution:

Spoiler

Edited by Dawnlight, 23 December 2014 - 07:55 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DEMO, NEED CRITIQUE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users