Photo

Official "What video games are you playing right now?" topic

• Please log in to reply
4523 replies to this topic

#4516 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Administrator

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:14 AM

Just finished my replay of 3D Land. I take back almost every negative thing I've said about this game in the past. Almost every.

Well, okay. I've never been "negative" on this game so much as ambivalent, even when it was a new game. I thought the concept was neat but lacking and I was truly just looking for a new star-collection game, not what I thought amounted to "New Super Mario Bros. in 3D." Looking back though, it's not quite as simple as that, and it's still a fun little game with some solid level design and platforming. I don't know that I'd quite put it on the same level as the other 3D games still but overall it's still a great game.

But...

As I said before, the world map is boring and the boss variety isn't good at all. Not a single boss besides final Bowser is fun to fight, and Boom Boom and Pom Pom are incredibly weak bosses that shouldn't have come back in 3D World, but at least that game had a bit more boss variety. Also, while I skipped them thanks to using a completed file, the postgame special worlds are mostly remixed stages and just act as filler. There's a handful of stages that are new and original, but most of them aren't as good as the regular game levels. The final unlockable level is kind of haphazard and weak as well, consisting of many of the same kinds of platforming challenges and the only two interesting parts are a bit on the easy side.

Then there's unlocking it. Never again will I go through the pain of beating every level as Mario and Luigi and nabbing the top of the flagpole each time. That's just asinine, and maybe that's what soured my viewpoint on the game in retrospect. Taking that out, and I have little issue with the game. With that factor, the game gives me some hesitation... but only if I were playing a new file. If you have a completed file, this game is much more friendly to return to and enjoy.

Next up, Galaxy...

• Anthus likes this

#4517 Anthus

Anthus

The wild-eyed boy from freecloud

• Contributors

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

I also started playing Galaxy 2, finally. I really, really hope we get an HD port with regular controls. Unlikely cause of how integral star bits are, but it's hard going back to a game that requires so much waggling, and pointing at the screen. It basically ruins Yoshi, imo. I still like the game itself, just not a fan of the controls.

#4518 Norzan

Norzan

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

Bought Majora's Mask 3D and Superstar Saga 3DS remake. Haven't played Majora's Mask in 6 years, kind of curious on how well will i like it because i remember not thinking much of it. Looking forward to the changes made to Superstar Saga.

Honestly, i needed to buy these games just to play something else. I've been playing Grim Dawn nearly non-stop for over a year and an half and this was made, i'll say, worse for lack of a better word when i became a beta tester for the game. Nearly 2k hours of playtime and i honestly can't blame myself because the amount of builds in this game seem almost endless.

#4519 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Members

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

I imagine if I was beta testing I'd want to suggest design changes, and they'd only want me to report bugs

#4520 Norzan

Norzan

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:40 PM

They ask me to do both and more stuff. In my opinion, that's how beta testing should be.

• Cukeman likes this

#4521 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Administrator

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention another sort of negative with 3D Land, and that's its soundtrack. It's not very good. The main theme is catchy because you hear it a lot but it's not that great of a composition; the clock tower stage remix of it is especially uninteresting. The beach level theme as well as the final boss theme are great, but other than that, it's a boring and generic soundtrack. Hell, I think the Athletic SMB3 remix is stolen straight from Galaxy, but I'm not sure about that one. 3D World is a great improvement in this area, but a much better soundtrack would've done strides to make 3D Land a more memorable and better game in general.

#4522 Jared

Jared

Boop

• Members

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:46 PM

Got Skyrim on the Switch. I've played it/borrowed it a long time ago on PS3, so this will be my first real time. I'm enjoying it so far!

• Nathaniel and Matthew like this

#4523 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Forum Moderators

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

Got Skyrim on the Switch. I've played it/borrowed it a long time ago on PS3, so this will be my first real time. I'm enjoying it so far!

I guess I'll see you in a few months then. :P

When you get far enough, you'll have to let us know whether you chose to join the Imperials or the Stormcloaks.  I'll put in my silent guess, based on what I think you might pick.  Of course I only played the PC version, so I'm not sure what changes they made, if any.

• Jared likes this

#4524 Anthus

Anthus

The wild-eyed boy from freecloud

• Contributors

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:42 PM

I would like to give Skyrim another shot, actually. I had it for 360 back when it came out, and I liked it, but got stuck, and had a much shorter attention span for games. It would be nice to be able to take it anywhere though, which is the biggest draw to owning the Switch version. It uses the assets from the Remastered version, and has optional motion controls for combat.

My only complaint is it is a full price $60 game, but it is also available on Steam/ PC (with a plethora of mods, and a huge community available), PS4, and Xbone for half that price or less. Well, at least it come with all the DLC, which is cool, and portable. :D

I started a playthrough of Oracle of Seasons again, for the millionth time, maybe I'll finish it this time. I was close last time, but I lost my save when I re-modded my 3DS. I got a password generator from Zelda Dungeon, and I'm playing a linked game. The game thinks I beat OoA, but I didn't, and probably won't. I rarely say this, but this is one game where I think it is best enjoyed with an emulator. The main reason is, the screen is bigger, and you can speed up some of the slower parts, if you want to, but I only do this in the very beginning. I've seen the first three dungeons so many times, I wish I could just start at Dancing Dragon. :P

• Jared likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users