Suggestion: gif limitation

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:58 AM

While I always like to see cool animated image previews from quests like the one System Error submitted in SOTW this time, I have a little feeling that submitting an animated gif can give you somewhat of an unfair advantage, because you're essentially entering a brief video clip in against a bunch of still shots. The other designers may have plenty of vibrant scenes in the actual quest, but either can't or don't want to capture it in an animated gif. Anyway, my suggestion is that SOTW disclude animated gifs.

Before you think that I'm unhappy about other people having an advantage over my submissions, that's definitely not the case. In fact, I'm very fond of animating all sorts of tiles in my own quest. In many cases my screens look boring in the still shots, because you aren't seeing all the detail invested in the animated combos. I'm fully capable of making animated gifs to enter in SOTW... I just choose not to.

Well, regardless of that, it's just a little principle. icon_smile.gif If you don't agree with it, I won't be the least bit upset, since it's not that important anyway. But, well, I was curious who might happen to share the idea. ^_^

#2 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:03 AM

Exactly Radien. I find it really unfair that some people are able to submit animated gifs. It's a fact that they look better than those basic shots. In my opinion you can make an ok screen look very good with animation... it's just... unfair as I already said. icon_shrug.gif

But whatever, I don't complain since I don't give a damn about SOTW's results anymore. All what matters is that we see good looking screenshots.

#3 FireStorm

FireStorm

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 08 September 2004 - 04:43 PM

Yeah, I guess that's true. But just because System Error's shot happens to be animated doesn't mean that's why he is winning in the polls. I suppose it is a little unfair, but it isn't a rule (yet), so technically, he can do it. Granted, whether fair or unfair, it is a good shot, regardless. I'm not too happy with the way SoTW has been turning out either, and I guess I'm too sensitive, cause I didn't appreciate a few of the comments made regarding my particular shot. So, I won't be entering in the contest anymore. Anyway, I agree with both of you on what you said; it couldn't be more true.

#4 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 08 September 2004 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(FireStorm @ Sep 8 2004, 05:43 PM)
I guess I'm too sensitive, cause I didn't appreciate a few of the comments made regarding my particular shot. So, I won't be entering in the contest anymore.

There is the option to submit and making a note to deny all commenting if you find you are getting comments you really don't want. However, you may do as you wish. icon_shrug.gif

As far as the point of this thread, that's not really something for me to take sides on at the moment. icon_shrug.gif

#5 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:06 PM

I think that is true also. Well I did vote for SystemError's shot, however, I didn't vote for it because it looked cool animated. I liked it because it really did look like Lord Jabu Jabu's belly, which had some really nice custom tiles.

Anyways, I still think it is true only due to the fact that it is shot of the week, and gif animations is not one picture. However, I wouldn't really care anyways.

#6 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:21 PM

I think that most of us are overlooking a key fact here. The SSOTW is to show off a screenshot, right? And this can certainly include the showing off a potentially new kind of tile. Sometimes, (Like my Fire Temple set which bombed. icon_razz.gif icon_lol.gif ) you just need an animated image to show it off properly, otherwise it'll look odd. It makes all the difference. icon_shrug.gif So if you've taken the time and effort to craft such intricate new tiles like those which will soon be animated, you'll have to display them the way they were meant to be seen. To do otherwise would be to shoot a bullet for two feet before it falls to the ground, weeping openly about its own failure as a bullet.

Please, don't try to limit other people's success. If you want the votes, work at it. (Now everyone is going to yell at me for various reasons.)

#7 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:33 PM

Dang, BH4 beat me to it. Well, I agree with them. GIFs can be needed at times for animation, just to get a point across. Somethings, such as water, floor animations, or something else just doesn't look right, unless it has an animation to show it. Otherwise, it will look hidious. But, on the other hand, using it just to show several screens (which is against SOTW rules I believe), would definitely be unfair.

So, what I think, use it as long as it is necessary to show something.

#8 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:38 PM

Well, I don't know. I like the fact the creator of the quest will take his/her time to make an animated gif of the screen moving, but then it does seem to be the center of attention.

Well, this is for Praethus to decide.

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:47 PM

Well, I don't know. I like the fact the creator of the quest will take his/her time to make an animated gif of the screen moving, but then it does seem to be the center of attention.
Always very, very true, Polygon. But isn't it also true that the "center of attention" can vary from person to person? Not everybody will find this one amazing shot to be the one they wish to marry when they grow older and have kids with. (I remember one AGN member mentioning that they'll marry ZQuest and make little quests with it. icon_razz.gif icon_lol.gif I won't mention any names, unless he wants me to. ^_^; ) .. oh, where was I now. ... Okay, no, I think that was it.

But, on the other hand, using it just to show several screens (which is against SOTW rules I believe), would definitely be unfair.
Yes, THIS, is unfair. Absolutely unfair, and quite ... odd. That is Screenshots of the week. icon_razz.gif

Dang, BH4 beat me to it.
Well, you beat me to stuff all the time. icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif

#10 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:26 PM

I guess for display they are good, but it does kind of suck running against someone that has an animated one. They are cool, but I am too lazy to make one that competes with it.

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:11 AM

Many of you didn't pay attention while reading my post.

I don't feel at a disadvantage. I am fully capable of creating my own animated gifs for SOTW, and I quite believe they would give me a considerable advantage if I did, since I like animations. I choose not to do so because I feel it would be an unfair advantage for me.

Also, I'm not accusing System Error of being a cheater for entering it. He's definitely within the rules. I'm just suggesting we change them... not because anyone in particular is repeatedly taking advantage of them, but because it feels incongruous with the purpose of the contest: to make cool screens (in ZQuest), rather than cool gif animations (mostly outside of ZQuest).

BH4, I disagree with you here somewhat. Even if it is a gif, anything animated is not called a "screenshot," in my experience... except when it is a slideshow (which would put it in plural, as you pointed out). Look at IGN or any other gaming news site and tell me if you find anything animated that's labelled a "screenshot." icon_shrug.gif

#12 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:07 AM

BH4, I disagree with you here somewhat. Even if it is a gif, anything animated is not called a "screenshot," in my experience... except when it is a slideshow (which would put it in plural, as you pointed out). Look at IGN or any other gaming news site and tell me if you find anything animated that's labelled a "screenshot."
... Naturally. If people present screenshots just for the heck of it, that's different from when people present screenshots for the additional purpose of advertising for their own quests. [PROTECTION_OF_ARGUMENT:] (And if you say that advertising belongs in Custom Quest discussion or their hosted forums, why put anything in SSOTW? And if SSOTW is therefore rendered a mere display of tiles or themes, due to the inability to display anything else which must be related to one's quest, why not just put that in Developers Exchange or Design Tips?)

You may argue that either IGN wants one of two things:
1) To display images as a "preview" for the potential buyer.
2) Or, just to become a large warehouse of game reviews and their accompanying visual descriptions.

Now, a movie, (Or animated "slideshow," as you may refer to it,) is still a sample of the quest or tiles in question. And as I said earlier, an animated GIF may be necessary to properly display the tiles as they were meant to be seen.

Additionally, a "Slideshow" cannot be used properly in your context, Radien. A slideshow would imply either different images entirely, or different variations[/i\ of the same sort of image. Animated screenshots such as System Error's aren't meant to display various images of the same kind, but of the different [i]animations of the exact same object. There is no point in creating a slideshow to display how a waterfountain works, as it's the exact same waterfountain in each "slide," merely with a few graphics changes pointing to the same overall effect. Water flows, and people are entertained. In each, and every, frame. A slideshow may depict different emotions or reactions with each slide. If it didn't, they wouldn't have to put in more than one slide for it.

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:43 PM

Geez, Josh.

First of all, I wasn't arguing whether slideshows should be allowed or something. I was just saying that on certain occasions a gaming news site will refer to them as "screenshots." The only slideshow on PureZC I can think of at the moment is LTM's signature.

Secondly, when I said gaming news sites I meant non-profit ones, too. Whether or not it's an "advertisement" doesn't really bother me. I only suggested you look atthem for the word definition.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that everyone could benefit from animations, but some more than others, and most would prefer not to spend the time in a gif animator, rather than in ZQuest, doing something more useful. And again, that animations are not technically "screenshots."

Edited by Radien, 09 September 2004 - 04:46 PM.

#14 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 09 September 2004 - 05:19 PM

I think it is a bit unfair. So, what's the best solution?

Well, we could, though I doubt, have two "SSOTWs". One for animated Gifs (not slideshows), and another for stills. But, hey, whatever works for everyone.

#15 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:40 PM

Considering your excellent animations, SoS, you'd be a perfect person to enter or run such a contest, but I doubt there are enough people who would enter it. :\

Edited by Radien, 10 September 2004 - 05:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users