Screenshot of the Week - Reopening

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 02 September 2004 - 04:12 PM

This is a really good idea although I never did submit or even vote in SOTW... icon_cry.gif

#17 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:35 PM

Oh! OMG! .. Idea! Can we also choose to be omitted from the poll as well? icon_eek.gif

Like.. I might submit a shot, but allowing it the potential to achieve zero votes (Don't even touch this sentence to quote it. icon_glare.gif) may discourage me greatly or something. (My Fire Temple, or Wing Commander shot, both almost completely unique, got zero votes. Very miffening.)

So can we also have the option of being left off of the poll? Even though it's "SSOTW" doesn't mean we can't just slap a shot there for an exhibition regardless, for critiquing as well. .. Naturally, we should be able to choose only one of the choices, as then it would just be rude to submit a shot with not being allowed to both critique it, or say something is better (or worse) than it for doing so.

#18 Stungun

Stungun

Warrior of Light

• Members

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:40 PM

So if someone chooses no comments, we can't comment NICELY on thier shot, then?

#19 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:07 PM

BH4: As many many many people have already said, that's what Design Help is for. This forum is strictly competitive. If you don't want to be included in the competition aspect, go to the friendly-cooperative-help-everyone forum to post shots.

Stungun: No. That would defeat the purpose of this new system. The problems from before were stemming from the restriction on posting negative comments on shots that very well may have SUCKED (emphasis placed because people these days are trying to tiptoe around saying it). If people start demanding that nice things be said about their shots, and it becomes a rule, moderators have a headache of having to warn people just for pointing out ZC train wrecks. The point here is that if you don't want mean things said about your shot, you always have the option to disallow comments to avoid possibly getting your feelings hurt.

#20 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE(plith @ Sep 2 2004, 10:07 PM)
Stungun: No. That would defeat the purpose of this new system. The problems from before were stemming from the restriction on posting negative comments on shots that very well may have SUCKED (emphasis placed because people these days are trying to tiptoe around saying it). If people start demanding that nice things be said about their shots, and it becomes a rule, moderators have a headache of having to warn people just for pointing out ZC train wrecks. The point here is that if you don't want mean things said about your shot, you always have the option to disallow comments to avoid possibly getting your feelings hurt.

Exactly.

#21 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 12:05 AM

Ok, this will probably be thought of as stupid, but can we at least put the persons name and no comment afterwards? I would feel funny without putting everybody in my post. Her is an example. Ok, Jimbob doesn't want comments, but Frankie, and Jebediah do.

Frankie: This screen could use a bit of yadda yadda yadda...

Jimbob: No comment

Jebediah:This screen is absolutely stupendous. I love the yap yap yap....

This is how I personally would like to do it in my own posts.

#22 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 12:09 AM

The only real thing I have to say is, I don't like how people just post to post, and really don't know what they are talking about. I mean, most people don't. But I have seen in the past, people just posting short sentences, and people talking about my screen. I don't get mad when someone talks about my shot. It doesn't offend me at all. It's just when people say the same things over and over again. That is what bugs me the most. Also, wouldn't it be kinda dumb to have everyone say something is nice, or everything is perfect? I mean, everyone's screenshot is not going to be perfect, or appealing to eye. So why not just tell them what you think? It only makes sense. icon_wink.gif I mean, I don't see why people should get mad over it. It's just a SS. Like when I started submitting for my first times. I would get mad. Then I really realized what it is doing for me. It just helps you out. You get better almost everytime you submit. If you don't submit, it is mostly for a good cause, I would suppose. So, people.. Please don't be offended by what others say about your shot. They are only trying to help. Now I can understand if someone is saying "Gosh, this one just sucks." Or something like that. Now if someone said. "This screen needs some work, could you put some more detail into it?" That is a nice thing to say, at the same time, it's not perfect. You see what I am trying to get out here? Anyways... I can't wait til SOTW comes back. Good luck, Praethus.. With getting SOTW back. icon_wink.gif

#23 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 12:33 AM

I sure hope it works out well from now on. I don't think I'll be participating in it anymore though. I only entered to try and win, and that never happened, and I do give up hope. If I have something neat to show, it'll be placed in my signature under my "Shot of the Moment".

Well, good luck with this, Praethus.

#24 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:21 AM

codelinker:

The problems are thus:

1. The people most likely to comment in such a way are the least likely to pay attention to the existance of subjective rules.
2. Entrants are too tempted to accuse negative responses of being "unconstructive" (Yeah, even me, at least a little). and...
3. Enforcing it becomes a nightmare, because the average warning post is longer than the comment it is in response to. icon_razz.gif

In addition, the warning was usually after the fact. The new rules allow them to remove problem posts (though they are defined a little differently).

#25 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 05:48 AM

I just don't see why people get mad about it. I mean.. You can be mad about it, and not show it. But I guess I can understand what you are saying...

#26 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 06:16 AM

It's just how some people take it. People view this competition as something really big, and if they are criticized bad, it angers them. They might've been so proud of the shot... once they see somebody say something about it, they take that comment as something big, then only get mad because their "perfect" shot has problems. That could be one example.

But, I know there are people who criticize badly saying some of the nastiest things ever. And, when these certain people make something, their work ends up worse than what they criticized. Hah. What I always say...
"Don't talk **** about another's work unless you have something else to back it up. Failure to produce something better than what you criticized horribly makes you look like an imbecile, and it also means you "suck more" than this person."

Me quitting SoTW is because I can't seem to win with my shots. icon_shrug.gif That's all I entered for, and if I can't win, then I have no reason to participate.

#27 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:20 AM

Codelinker:

Well, then wouldn't that mean you know you shouldn't be mad, so you hide it for your own good? Or, alternately, you are still mad, but you know it's not as big a deal as it seems, so you hold it in.

If neither of those describe you, then perhaps it is just intense frustration?

You're a pretty easygoing guy, and I bet it takes a lot to get you angry, but someday it's gonna happen, so it's good to know what to do. icon_shrug.gif Fortunately, I doubt you'll reach that point in SOTW. icon_smile.gif ...Which means I'm now off-topic. icon_sweat.gif

Polygon:

My general response to that is "amen."

However, I do support people's right to evaluate work which they are not capable of. After all, no one ever told you "if you're not happy with your dental work, then do your own!" ...right?

But you're right... some people can be downright mean about it. icon_shrug.gif

Actually, I've always liked the way plith goes about it. He finds faults in stuff I've done very frequently, but his responses are so reasonable that I've never had reason to be upset by them. Often I'm even grateful. icon_smile.gif

#28 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:26 PM

Yes, people like plith. Only if there were more of them. *lol*j/k

I think Poly you are right any many ways. Also, Radien. I agree with you when you say that plith has good comments on things. See I like when someone can really comment on things. Give their true comment. Not just because one of your buddies are submitting. Just give your real explaination, of why you said what you said. It's all a simple thing.

I end this now... This is going no where. icon_confused.gif

#29 ghost_61435

ghost_61435

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:37 PM

Ummm... codelinker, did you mean to close this topic? While I can, I might as well put my two bits in while I can.

Personally, I think this is a great idea. However, about BH4's first post: Why would you want to stay out of the poll? Without the poll, how could you expect to win at SOTW, and at that: what's the point?

#30 FireStorm

FireStorm

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 September 2004 - 07:00 PM

It's good to be back! I already sent in my submission, and I fully expect it to get at least 1 vote other than my own, unless it's against some champion screen. Everything on my screen is custom, except the rain. Itching to see it? Just wait...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users