Screenshot of the Week - Closed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:58 PM

I have spent alot of time reading all the things said in the SOTW Comments thread, and I have reached a decision. I am putting SOTW on hiatus while I work on a way to improve it. There will be no SOTW's for probably the next month. People who have sent me submissions already, I apologize. I will keep them and post them as soon as SOTW is reopened. When it is reopened we will continue where we left off, but for now, I think it's best if there wasn't SOTW for awhile. As Nick and I decide what to do with the future of SOTW, I will let you guys know.

Edit - If you wish to discuss this with me, you can always query me in chat or PM. I will not discuss this decision in public with anyone.

#2 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:12 PM

I would like to add a few words... seeing as I was the one who started this contest... and I'm rather disappointed this had to happen.

Screenshot of the Week was a contest I started in the beginning year of PureZC. I meant it as a fun contest where people could share shots and get informed about all the quests out there. It was never originally designed for constructive feedback, but it was welcome with open arms if people wanted to give it.

After awhile, new people arrived. SoTW took on a different meaning at this point. It was a friendly competition to see who had the best custom tileset or what. However, in this age of custom tilesets, it became obvious that commentary would be a bit unfair at times.

After many complaints, it was decided that the rule that started this entire quarrel would be added. Things continued to work smoothly for awhile... until more people started taking the contest seriously for the sake of getting on that front PureZC page (or just knowing they won).

I had never intended SoTW to be something someone depended their life upon. It was just a simple fun contest, like the other things like MIDI of the Week were.

Well... the rule was recently brought up again and the poll was the result. I figured people could reasonable say yes or no to something without slamming other's opinions. I guess I was wrong to think that. The last two pages of the poll showed me how immature some people are. That poll wasn't started so people could basically say "YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME! DIE!". It was started for reasonable debate... which broke down. In addition to this, the topic was used as an excuse to argue in other topics.

It is rather sad to see something of your creation wither and die. Perhaps it will be able to bloom again in a month, but that does not change what has happened.

SoTW was intended as a fun contest. It wasn't originally designed for constructive commenting, depending your life on it, or bashing the hell out of someone until they are a bloody pulp.

I suggest that people think about my original intentions for SoTW during this time off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users