Photo

Screenshot of the Week 57

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Which pic? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Which pic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:39 PM

I might have voted for StarFox's, except for two things:
1) There's not much going on (not that that's necessarily a bad thing; there's always at least a few rooms that don't serve such great purpose).
2) The floor tiles seem too black-heavy. It makes it confusing when you look at the pit next to it. Maybe if you used lighter shades of blue and tried to work more of the black out of the picture, it wouldn't look like walking on floating blue squares. Unless that's the effect you're looking for, of course, but I still don't think it's coming out quite right.

Of course I voted for Prince, mostly because he pays the most fantastic attention to detail I've ever seen.

#17 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:23 PM

Prince's shot=Absolutely the coolest tileset I've ever seen in ZC, ever.
A winner is you, hands down.

#18 rexlaninetales

rexlaninetales

9 tailed kitsune

• Members

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:35 PM

Hmm...Of all the screen shots...I'd vote for all of them...
BH4's texturing skill is awsome.
I like Radien's bridge seen. Looks like lots of effort put into the layers.
HeroLink...A new touch on classic!
If the water was animated, I probably vote for this one.
DarkHogg: Though nice, I'm not fond of voting for title screens.
LinktheMaster: Awsome shot! Looks Creepy!
PrinceMSC: Well, now this seems peaceful. And very well done!
Starfox: A bluish dungeon...Not too shabby. Nice texturing on the chest!
UpBeatPenguin: ICE!!! icon_shiver.gif Its freezing cold in here!
I vote for ???

#19 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:18 PM

Null vote. They all look too good, IMHO.

#20 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 June 2004 - 07:07 PM

And, as expected, PrinceMSC is blowing us all out of the water. However, I highly doubt anyone is going to feel bad about losing to a shot like that, because he so deserves it. icon_wink.gif I'll only get upset if he enters every week and wins every time! icon_lol.gif

After some thought, I believe I'm going to pass up Adventure Island and go with Pure for my quest. This is mostly because, when I look carefully, Adventure Island seems as though it's going to be 90% Wind Waker inspired. So stylistically I should be going with Pure for an OoT-style quest. Although I'm highly tempted to nab those awesome water tiles once it comes out...

#21 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 09 June 2004 - 11:09 PM

I of course null voted because I'm in it this week. My shot is from my current small project, which I will put some info in my forum later about it. I wanna get a bit further in it before revealing it. icon_razz.gif

#22 Deepfreeze

Deepfreeze

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:12 PM

BH4-- lava messed up, only one type of enemy, the banners and messages? on the top wall seem to alter its dimensions.

Radien- sorry, but I don't care for BS. The ropes on the bridges are a nice (but admittedley necessary) (if you want the shot to look decent) touch, but the background, although it looks like it's original, doesn't quite seem to click with the BS TS.

HeroLink- Like the TS. Unfortunately, black dominates too much of your shot. I do like the mountains, I did essentially the same thing wiht the classic TS a while back. You should release the tileset, probably. It's sophisticated enough for what is needed, but still has the classic feel to it. And this is in a dungeon?

Darkhogg- It's a title screen in pure or something like it. Nothing special to offer, and actually, if it were a normal screen, would be considered bland. Needs something else in the landscape.

LinkTheMaster- Love it, except for a few things. First, floor tiles seem a bit repititious. I like the skeletons, but the pattern of the rocks in the dirt needs some variation. Even one more tile would make it look so much better. Also, the spider webs seem to alter the dimensions of the walls. The 90 degree webs look OK, you could even keep the 180 degree ones. Those that go 270 degrees don't look quite right on the walls.
My suggestion (for the 270 degree web in the bottom- left corner) looks something like this: (for the 270 degree web in the bottom- left corner)
(You have)
..XX
XXXX
....XX
....X

(My suggestion)
X
XX
XXX
XXXX
....XX
....XX(X) (tentative)
Gotta give you my vote for that Incredible big skulltula.

PrinceMSC- (good things) Love the mountains. Like Valoo (who I want to call Vaati). And the house reminds me of Golden Sun in a pleasant way. The grass kicks @$$.
(bad things) The trees don't seem to fit in with the mountains for whatever strange reason. Valoo seems fuzzy (Now I know that's b/c it's a .jpg) Although his head is great in comparison. Also, the dirt pattern in the path is, well, boring. Also, on the right side of the bridge, the path needs some shape variation. The water tiles are pretty good, but the bottom of the waterfall seems incomplete. You should add part of the bubbles(?) on each side of it, rather than abruptly ending at the tile.

Starfox- In a nutshell: Black, bland, and lacking link. Just a tone lighter would help a lot, needs something going on on the floor, and enemies and link can really never hurt your shot. Do like the torches and the walls, though.

UBP- square room + statues that don't really fit + two types of pots + taken in editor + floors that don't seem to fit in with the rest of the TS = bad thing.

Wow, I bet I pissed more than one member off with all of that. Sorry.
Wow, that took me half an hour to write. icon_rolleyes.gif
EDIT: ASCII doesn't seem to want to work, typos.

Edited by Deepfreeze, 10 June 2004 - 08:24 PM.

#23 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:29 PM

.. Okay.. Feeling kinda insulted now. Not that I should be saying all of this, but I'm going to put this into a practical light. I was going to submit these tiles for your general use, but now I'm not really sure that I can. I didn't get one vote. That doesn't mean the shot isn't popular. It just means that you like Prince's (etc) stuff more than you would like to see my tiles released. I will therefore endeavor to improve them until I deem them "Done." .. And I have no idea when they will be "Done" becuase I think they're "Done" "NOW," ... contrary to popular belief.

.. Oh, and that lava.. It's not in the set. icon_snide.gif

#24 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:34 PM

BH4: The biggest gripe I have with your screenshot is the walls, which seem to be the most -new- part of the screen. With such tiny bricks and the absence of a strong outline (in dark dark brown or in black), there are few clearly defined shapes on the walls except for the doors themselves. Try making the bricks bigger and the appearance of certain shapes less subtle.

#25 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:38 PM

Hm. Thank you for your input. Really. It means a lot to me. However, the shapes on the walls, (And rest assured, I can definitely appreciate where you're coming from with this...) is that they're supposed to look like that. If I created another set with the walls more defined, complete with little bricks, it would completey change its appearance altogether. .. But is this a good thing, or a bad thing. I guess I should make a poll.

.. Or make two versions of it. Wouldn't be dramatically difficult, I suppose. Either way, it'll still be in the shop for weeks, considering how many people have just thrown projects at me. icon_razz.gif icon_rolleyes.gif

#26 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(Deepfreeze @ Jun 10 2004, 08:12 PM)
HeroLink- Like the TS. Unfortunately, black dominates too much of your shot.  I do like the mountains, I did essentially the same thing wiht the classic TS a while back.  You should release the tileset, probably. It's sophisticated enough for what is needed, but still has the classic feel to it.  And this is in a dungeon?

I am going to make some tiles that show th mountains going further down into the humongous (sp?) hole. What is TS? Also, I am actually using UpbeatPenguins New Classic Tileset, and yes this is a dungeon. Thank you for giving me some input on my screen, that's really the only reason I entered SOTW this week. I wish others would make constructive comments about it instead of just saying "Prince's shot is 1337". icon_shrug.gif

#27 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(Deepfreeze @ Jun 10 2004, 05:12 PM)
Radien- sorry, but I don't care for BS.  The ropes on the bridges are a nice (but admittedley necessary) (if you want the shot to look decent) touch, but the background, although it looks like it's original, doesn't quite seem to click with the BS TS.

Yes, the lack of ropes bugged me from day one until I was finally capable of adding layers (both knowhow and ZC version). However, what do you think is wrong with the background? I'm afraid "backround" is a bit vague. Do you simply mean the sky? If so, funny, I didn't think simple puffy white clouds on blue sky could possibly clash... icon_shrug.gif

As for the BS set: This is likely the only new quest I will ever make in BS (not counting the BS 1st and 2nd quest updates), so it doesn't really need mentioning after this. I still think it's a great set for beginners, though, and I may release an updated tileset if I ever pull myself away from my newest quest.

BH4:

I don't know about the others, but the problem I see is that you've hardly released anything for your tileset. Throw us a bone, man. That's just one room. icon_shrug.gif I know one room means a very large portion of a dungeon template, but if you're calling it a whole dungeon tileset, there's gotta be more than that.

Anyway, my screen got 1 vote... and after seeing all the other entries that person could have voted for, I should be ecstatic for that alone. icon_lol.gif

Edited by Radien, 10 June 2004 - 10:51 PM.

#28 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 10 June 2004 - 11:54 PM

Alright, now that I have enough time, I can make comments.

BH4: Very good shot, and I like the tiles. Very odd lava, but you said that wasn't in the set, and it wasn't yours. I think those tiles will do very good.

Radien: Good shot Radien. You have made some really good improvements on this shot since you first showed it to anyone. Keep up the superb work.

Hero Link: I am making a classic style quest using UpbeatPenguins New Classic Tileset. I will add more to it later, like tiles that make it look like the mountains are going down into the giant hole.

Darkhogg: Good job on the titlescreen in this shot. It looks like it may be interesting.

LinkTheMaster: Nice looking cave shot. I think the spider webs add to the cave style. Good work LTM.

PrinceMSC: Great looking shot. I am looking forward to the tileset and quest Prince. Great custom tiles. Good work.

StarFox: Another shot with custom tiles. I like this shot. Very easy on the eyes, good. It will do very good. Great work.

UpbeatPenguin: Wrong shot huh? Oh well, it still looks good and fun. Good work.

Now, just to wait until next week.

#29 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 11 June 2004 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE(BH4 @ Jun 10 2004, 09:29 PM)
.. Okay..  Feeling kinda insulted now.

<skip>

I didn't get one vote.  That doesn't mean the shot isn't popular.  It just means that you like Prince's (etc) stuff more than you would like to see my tiles released.  I will therefore endeavor to improve them until I deem them "Done."  .. And I have no idea when they will be "Done" becuase I think they're "Done" "NOW," ... contrary to popular belief.

I'm sorry to say, but I wouldn't feel very insulted over that.

This is like me saying "no one would have voted for my screenshot compared to Prince's because it doesn't use a custom tileset, so my quest sucks and should be trashed immediately".

This is just an example, as I didn't even enter this week, but just think about the context of what you said.

I liked your shot and I have no doubt the tiles are good and will be good for the public, however, PrinceMSC had a better presentable screen to me, so I voted for him. If you feel insulted because of personal opinions of encouragement (you've gotten suggestions on improvement in this entire thread, yet you ignored them to make this post), then you really are a pessimistic individual (which I've known you to not be on the forums).

I've gotten my fair share of 0 votes before. Many people have gotten their share of 0 votes. However, SoTW isn't 100% about the winning or being popular. SoTW exposes new quests, new tiles, new ideas, and suggestions for improvement. I would not let 0 votes get you down. The poll isn't over yet, anyway. icon_wink.gif

#30 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 11 June 2004 - 07:52 AM

*Is itching to rate the screenshots*

BH4: You know what I think about this already.

Radien: The ropes look great icon_thumbsup.gif

Hero Link: Woooh, remake.

Darkhogg: Looks good icon_smile.gif

LinktheMaster: Nice stuff.

PrinceMSC: Yowza, you can do that with ZC?!

Starfox: Good looking stuff.

UpbeatPenguin: Reminds me of alttp. icon_ohmy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users