• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

IPB Image

Developer: Nippon Ichi
Platform: Playstation 2 (But you already guessed that from the box art. icon_razz.gif)
Release Date: August 27th, 2003 (NA release)
Genre: Strategy RPG

Current Status - Main game recorded. Will be taking a break before the post game.

Intro

Characters

Story

Gameplay

Video Listing

OP Continued

#2 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

Lol, this is one of my favorite series thanks to it's replayability and customization. You should name the star mage after a star.

#3 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

I LOVE this game! I've never beaten it though (yet). :O

So quick question, how many party members do you end up using throughout the whole game, typically? Is it 10 plus the Main Characters? Last time I ended up with like 24 or something, and that's why I ended up starting my file over; too many party members is too disorganized and they don't level up as quickly.

There's just so many awesome classes and monsters that it's hard to limit myself D:

Anyway, I will totally watch this playthrough once you have it up!

#4 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

As a discussion in chat with a few friends of mine, my archer is Alice and my Rogue is Kalvier.

@blackbishop: Star mage is now Vela, a constellation.

@Schwa: I typically like to use Laharl a lot with some support from mages. Though I've tried switching it up a few other times. On my DS file, I tried to keep a balanced team up until the final boss and the post game. I just can't do those parts with a full team. ._. But I normally restrict myself to 10 characters, since I don't do well with managing more than I can throw onto the field. DX

However, for the sake of this Let's Play, I'm seriously considering doing everything with a proper team. (That team being the one I listed here).

#5 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:23 AM

Oh and I noticed your Cleric uses a Bow to fight with? Interesting. Most of the time I pass a Mage's elemental spells to my Cleric using the Extra Gain feature so she can damage AND heal.

But to each his own. ^^ Disgaea is awesome because you can mix it up in any way you want. Leveling up an Archer and then reincarnating her into a Bow-using Ninja with all the Counters would be SWEET. And doing the opposite, leveling a Warrior up to be great with a Sword and then reincarnating into an Archer with a Sword, JUST for lulz, would be pretty hysterical. icon_xd.gif And you can do that! You can do whatever you can imagine. That's why I love the game so amazingly much.

Edit: It just occurred to me, and no I've never tested this: would a Knight using a bow still follow up with a spell after striking a target? That'd be pretty formidable. o.o

Edited by Schwa, 03 August 2011 - 06:25 AM.

#6 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

That's a really good idea to have the Cleric learn elemental attacks. :3 I don't normally like dividing it up like that since I like to have my Cleric's SP devoted to healing in the early parts in the game where magic in general seems to be a little more costly compared to how much SP you have at the time. (Of course, with orbs and such it's not that bad. :3) But that's me. XD

I've also thought of some fun combinations like that too. Since Knights are good with magic, but only learn one type at creation, I think it would be neat to have a Prism Mage reincarnate into a Knight, thus opening her arsenal of magic. (Or Galaxy Mage if you want Star magic) I think it'd also be funny to get a character well-versed in axes (like Ronins) levelled highly in that weapon, then reincarnate into a mage. icon_xd.gif

Something I normally like to do is give some of my main attackers a healing spell of some kind so that they're never helpless if I run out of items or lose my Cleric.

As for the Knight idea...I've never tried it myself. I'll look into that, because that could be incredibly awesome if it does work.

#7 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

Kind of curious to see this, really. I've never been much for strategy RPGs, but Nippon Ichi's look interesting. But then, I'm sort of a sucker for good artwork. icon_razz.gif

#8 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

Ha, I enjoyed the artwork of Disgaea personally. :3

Also, I realize it's been a month since I announced it. I've got a few videos made up and will start posting them once Scott Pilgrim's over. (And I post the last video tomorrow, which means I'll be posting the first video Sunday.) If anyone would like to drop names in for the characters, I'm still open. icon_smile.gif

As for recordings, I've recorded the first ending. Yes. I beat the game already. (I'm lying, I just went for the first possible ending of the game. icon_razz.gif) Don't worry, I won't show stages I've already cleared. That would be just rude of me. icon_razz.gif

#9 Ice Cream Link

Ice Cream Link

Ascendant

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

Wow, I just bought this game a few days ago!!! icon_biggrin.gif

#10 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

Ha, nice. I think it's clear that I adore this game and wouldn't be able to urge you to keep playing enough. icon_xd.gif

Also, like promised, the first video is up now! icon_biggrin.gif It's not much, just the intro and tutorial levels. I skip the actual tutorial bits and explain the mechanics myself. :3

#11 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

I just finished up episode 1, and I've already recorded episode 2 so provided I actually bother to edit them, they should be going up within the week. (Alternating between my other LPs, of course. :3)

There's still three characters I'm open for names (Even if one of them isn't even in my party yet. icon_razz.gif) so feel free to drop a name down.

Also, another thing I wanted to bring up. To spice things up a bit, for episode 6 (one of the longer episodes) I'd like to invite guest commentators. Each guest would come in for one map, so under good circumstances, there'd be two guests per video. (Though I'd be doing several recordings, I'd be mashing them into one video. :3) The only map I won't be having anyone join me in is the last one, but other than that, I'd love to invite a few people to join me.

So, if you're interested drop me a line. Given that I just finished episode 2, it won't be for a little bit, but I'd like to know ahead of time whose interested.

So, as it stands:

Calamity Woods - Open
Ritual Site - Open
Witches' Den - Open
Writhing Shadow - Open
Nightdwellers - Open
Heart of Evil - N/A (I'm doing this one on my own)

As of right now, I'm only going to accept 3 people, as I have someone potentially filling a few slots (Though I'm not sure which) I'm not sure if either of them will have the time or want to when the times comes, so we'll see.

I didn't want to put this thing on hold any more than I needed to, so I went ahead and recorded them on my own.

#12 Ice Cream Link

Ice Cream Link

Ascendant

• Members

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

Where do you find the unit portraits? Like the one for the knight, star mage, rogue, ect.

#13 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

If I recall correctly, I got them from a site called DigiFlonne. Unfortunately they aren't up there any more. icon_frown.gif However, you can still get them over at the Disgaea Ultimate Fansite. (It's all Disgaea 1 stuff, plus some pretty funny comics, though some of them do have spoilers so don't read if you haven't beat the game) I remember DigiFlonne having stuff from Disgaea 1,2 and 3. Shame it was all removed or I'm too derpy to find it again. icon_frown.gif

Anyway, I'd be willing to send them all if you just want the complete package. They're nice and high-res too. :3

Also, while I'm at it, I've gotten up to the start of chapter 3 as far as uploaded videos go. (I'm up to episode 4 in recordings.)

#14 Ice Cream Link

Ice Cream Link

Ascendant

• Members

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

I'm in episode 4, too, I'm training in the Item World though to get some upgraded classes so that
Spoiler

I need to get a Magic Knight, that's pretty much my main goal. :I

Edit: Thanks btw. :U

Edited by Ice Cream Link, 24 October 2011 - 08:54 PM.

#15 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

Glad to be of help. :3 (Just to clarify, did you want me to send the package over or is the site I mentioned good?)

At first I didn't like magic knights, but recently I found out some interesting things about them. Almost makes me want to reconsider how I use mine. Though they're among my favourite class in the later games. icon_xd.gif

That fight was difficult. (There are some nasty boss fights in this game. icon_xd.gif) I remember abusing the fact that all the enemies had a -50% res to ice attacks. Though I won't be able to as much since I'm not using an ice mage this time around. Though I still have Tri-Burst, which is for some reason an ice attack. O_o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users