Roc's Feather Graphical Bugs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:19 AM

Okay, first of all, the bug is not a fatal one... it just makes the quest look unprofessional and glitchy.
Okay, here's the problem:
IPB Image
This shot's okay. But what happens when I jump?
IPB Image
THAT'S what happens. I go behind the tree leaves, because it's on layer 3. Is there any way to fix this? BTW, I'm using 2.11b18.

#2 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:24 AM

I dont think there is any way to fix that. Those layers are above link, so even when he jumps they will remain above him.

#3 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:20 AM

That's what I feared. Aw well.

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:13 PM

This is why I took the Roc's feather out of my quest (or at least disable it for non-sidescrolling areas).

I'd also like to add a few more Roc bugs...

*In the older betas the feather had a 7 frame jumping animation, which has been changed to a 3 frame + walking animation jump. I preferred the 7 frame jump, because it looks silly when Link starts walking in mid air.

*Also, using sideview gravity the jumping animation doesn't even activate! Link just hops, maintaining the standard walking animation.

#5 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

Noel you should report that at agn, if you haven't already.

#6 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:15 AM

I actually did submit Noel's sideview bug at AGN, after you suggested it, Evan...

*Sigh*, I loved that Roc's Feather so much, and now it's riddled with bugs...

#7 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

Maybe we should have extra layers for it, that'll be popular ¬_¬

#8 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:17 PM

Shadow Tiger and I came up with a good idea using eyeballs, but the eyeballs don't work as they should on layers, so that killed that idea.

For those who're curious, the idea was to have an eyeball on layer 3 (the treetops would be set as eyeballs) that was only visible when it was looking up. Therefore if Link was above the eyeball, there would be (in this case, foliage) covering him. But if he was infront of the tree, the eyeball would be transparent, so if Link jumped it'd be as if the foliage wasn't covering him.

... doesn't work though... well actually I never tried it but ST said the eyeballs were screwy.

#9 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:35 PM

Well, that would be a good idea... but then, if you were above the tree just walking, it's be transparent too. Still, good idea... I might try it for myself, just to see.

#10 Sacred Nym

Sacred Nym

Wizard

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:51 PM

This will be Quest Ruled

#11 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:52 PM

That's a very quick-fix rule that will be almost as bad! That means that as SOON as Link jumps, he appears above layers 3-4 until he lands! So if you stand behind a tree and jump, you'll appear in front of the tree until you land.

What if it's like an obelisk or something, a tall object that has a lot of walkable stuff behind it? You have to build most of it on layer 5-6, and just the base on layer 3-4, just to avoid the NEW problem (which will still be visible at the base of the obelisk).

Well, that would be a good idea... but then, if you were above the tree just walking, it's be transparent too. Still, good idea... I might try it for myself, just to see.

No no, the "eyeball looking up" tiles would be that of the treetop, the "eyeball looking down" tiles (and left/right) would be blank, and the treetop would be drawn on an underfoot layer. So walking above the tree Link would be covered by the opaque foliage. I just depends on whether the eyeball references Link's shadow as his position, or the actual Link sprite.

Edited by NoeL, 06 June 2007 - 11:56 PM.

#12 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:55 PM

Yeah, I was actually thinking the same thing there, Noel! If I was in front of the tree, then fine, but if I was behind it... but you did have a good solution, I thought. I was thinking of something along the same lines to propose...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users