i want your visceral reaction to this take

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 08 April 2023 - 04:31 PM

i found a post on another forum (apparently they still exist) called "the original game boy was a bad device with bad games" and i want your reactions to it:

Let's face it: the only reason that we look back on the gameboy fondly is because it was the first real video game handheld device that let us play games on the go, and it was made by Nintendo, who made Nintendo-licensed games on it. For some kids, it was a magical thing. "Gaming on the go! I can play in the car when my parents take me on a long car ride to grandma or auntie!" I did use the gameboy that way, I'll admit. It made some of the 6- or 9-hour drives way more tolerable. For that, I thank it. But let's be real.

The Gameboy was garbage. And most of its games were garbage.

Hardware

First off, its screen is absolutely terrible, and there is no defence for it. Tiny resolution, and we can't even have true black-and-white games: everything was vomit green. Secondly, the hardware was extremely weak, which hampered the games. The Game Gear came out a little over a year later and felt like an entire generation ahead of it. Now, don't mistake me: the game gear was a misfire. The thing needed six batteries for like 3 hours of play time. But! There could have been a middle ground here. Nintendo could have offered something a little more beefy so that the devs had more to work with. It didn't even need a color screen! Just a little more ram and processing power, I dunno. Of course, the thing as-is sold like 120 million units, so Nintendo knew what they were doing from a pure business PoV. But that ain't the heartbeat of this convo. The end result was a weak-ass machine that produced weak-ass games.

Software

The hardware part doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, because games are what make or break a platform. And the truth is that the gameboy only had a handful of truly good games. Games that have stood the test of time. But it ain't just about the test of time. Lord, a lot of these games were bad even back then!

Super Mario Land 1? Absolutely terrible game. It's bad now, and it was absolutely bad back then. I remember playing this game for the first time at my cousin's. I must have been around 7 or 8. I was very familiar with Nintendo games at that age. I had already played to death Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 and World. I loved them dearly. So I put my hands on Land at my cousin's, and was like "...this feels bad. Like a bad imitation of a Mario game; like a knock-off." I could rant about how it looks bad graphically, or how the music is very uninspired, but I don't even need to. Because the crux of the issue with that game is that it just feels bad to play. Mechanically. The two things you do in that game, running and jumping, do not feel good at all. That makes your game dead on arrival to me.

I would later go on to play various gameboy games at some of my friends' houses. One of them had Donkey Kong Land. That was after Donkey Kong Country had been released. I owned DKC. I had played it to death. Fucking amazing game. Donkey Kong Land, on the other hand, again, felt like a cheap knock-off. Another platformer whose running and jumping mechanics both feel bad. What the hell. My reaction to playing these games was "can we just go play the Super Nintendo instead?"

Around a decade later, early to mid 2000s, I would have access to emulators. I played a bunch of random gameboy games. It was the same story: "this just feels horrible. What a terrible handheld library."

Now. There were some good games on the device. I played some. Well. One. I played one. I know there were more though! The Pokémon games on the original game boy seemed good. I saw some friends play them and thought it looked very interesting. Didn't play it though (I would play Pokémon for the first time on the GBA with FireRed). There was also Tetris. I might have played it, actually. Unsure. I know I played it on the NES though; that might be what I remember. But it was on the Gameboy. So 1 point for the Game Boy.

The one good game that I played and owned was this one:

[image of Donkey Kong]

It was one of two games that I owned for the gameboy, the other being Donkey Kong Land 2. This game game rules hard. It ruled hard then and it still rules hard now. Seriously, I played it again over this past Christmas break. Beat the first world. It's fantastic. More specificaly, it feels great. The mechanics of the game are just so satisfying. You can do so many acrobatics with Mario and oh lord does it feel good. It's a goddamn crime that Nintendo didn't follow it up. They made those Mario vs Donkey Kong games, but it wasn't the same.

So yeah, there you have it. The game boy was a bad device with mostly bad games.

case closed.

• Anthus likes this

#2 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 08 April 2023 - 04:43 PM

The Game Gear came out a little over a year later and felt like an entire generation ahead of it.

kinda spittin

• Anthus likes this

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 April 2023 - 06:19 PM

"Game design and sensibilities have evolved which make elements of past games feel dated" sure is a hell of a bold claim. I might swoon from the sheer size of their brain.

• Anthus likes this

#4 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 08 April 2023 - 07:35 PM

link's awakening

• Anthus, nicklegends, Taco Chopper and 3 others like this

#5 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 08 April 2023 - 08:34 PM

idk

Like the original Game Boy was kind of a bad device right? I can't think of a reason you'd ever want one over a Pocket/Color/Advance/SP other than nostalgia or collection purposes.

Also there were (according to one figure) around 1874 games released for the system and I'd be willing to bet that over 50% (most) of them are pretty bad.

Pretty sure the original post is just pointless inflammatory bait that's just exaggerating some valid criticisms. Like they've played 10 games for it or something and even admit to 1 of them being a masterpiece? Like yeah the Game Boy was probably like 90% shovelware but is there a handheld that that's not true of? Doesn't stop there from being fantastic games made for it.

• Anthus and Twilight Knight like this

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:45 PM

The one good game that I played and owned was this one:

[image of Donkey Kong]
It was one of two games that I owned for the gameboy, the other being Donkey Kong Land 2. This game game rules hard. It ruled hard then and it still rules hard now. Seriously, I played it again over this past Christmas break. Beat the first world. It's fantastic. More specificaly, it feels great. The mechanics of the game are just so satisfying. You can do so many acrobatics with Mario and oh lord does it feel good. It's a goddamn crime that Nintendo didn't follow it up. They made those Mario vs Donkey Kong games, but it wasn't the same.

This person's a Donkey Kong '94 enjoyer. They can do no wrong.

But really, I think I agree with most of this. It had some gems, but the Gameboy's one of my least favorite Nintendo consoles. Below the Wii and Wii U, even. When I think of the typical Gameboy game, the image that immediately comes to mind is poor imitations of better games and shovelware. There were so few standout games, and even some of the supposed good ones (Pokemon?) were actually just mid.
  • Anthus and nicklegends like this

#7 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 09 April 2023 - 01:48 PM

We have reached such a level of social decadence that we must look to driving discourse by harvesting insaneo takes. What a time to be alive!

• Anthus, Taco Chopper, Eddy and 1 other like this

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 10 April 2023 - 02:10 PM

I think only reason game gear didn't do as well as it could was timing, cost, and it taking like six batteries. By the time it came around, the GB had a large install base, and it was over all cheaper with more options.

I do agree that SML1 was kinda garbo tho?

#9 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 April 2023 - 05:43 PM

super mario land 1 is better than the sequel though

(dont ask me why i think this because i cant explain it either)

• Anthus likes this

#10 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 11 April 2023 - 12:18 AM

I feel like pointing out the bad games on a system is always kinda a nothing argument to me.  Like, how are bad games real.  Just don't buy them!

• Anthus and Jenny like this

#11 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 April 2023 - 12:25 AM

(dont ask me why i think this because i cant explain it either)

Prolly the music tbh. It does have great music.

• Jenny likes this

#12 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 11 April 2023 - 03:13 AM

it's okay to be based

• Anthus and Jenny like this

#13 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 April 2023 - 03:07 AM

#14 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members

Posted 12 April 2023 - 07:10 AM

In all seriousness.

The simplest counter argument to "Game Gear is better than GB" is really as easy as:

image.png

"Name ten Game Gear games."

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 April 2023 - 12:13 PM

To be fair there are probably at least ten Sonic games on the damn thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users