Photo

Ack, it's getting stupider by the minute!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:13 AM

I was bored and off of my computer for a while one day, so I was flippin' channels, when suddenly I came accross Nickelodeon. There was a commercial playing. For a cartoon.

Tak and the Power of Juju.

What the hell. I don't see how that as really a "fun" game either... even though it sold a good many copies... but then, earlier today, I saw a commercial for a cartoon based on the movie Barnyard! What the hell?!

No offense to those looking forward to them but I don't think I'll be able to stand this. Seems like it's very annoying and I think I'll be watching something different during the day if they do air these for a long time.

#2 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:22 AM

The FCC believes the general population within the United Starts is dropping dramatically! Their answer? Allow more shows to drop the intelligence level of the population! THIS IS WHERE THE GOVERNMENT SCREWS YOU WITH YOUR EDUCATION! icon_lol.gif

Edited by Master_of_Power, 04 August 2007 - 09:23 AM.

#3 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:04 AM

icon_glare.gif

You're serious, aren't you?

Oh, sigh. Whatever happened to the good cartoons?
The original cartoons. Not ones based off of a game/movie. [The same can be said about video games... Honestly, do all movies require a video game to follow?]

Cartoons these days suck. I didn't even grow up in the 80's, (which was the height of cool cartoons), and I can safely say that the cartoons I watched were 10 times better than the crap these days.
The Street Sharks were awesome. So were the Extreme Dinosaurs.
Two Stupid Dogs, Dexter's Lab, the classic All-That seasons (I don't care if they aren't cartoons, they count!), X-Men, Freakazoid, Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain all own the pants off of any new show you could show me today.

#4 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

No I wasn't serious icon_wink.gif However, I don't even bother to watch TV because the "Stupider by the Minute" thing refers to, actually, almost all forms of television entertainment. icon_frown.gif

#5 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(Master_of_Power @ Aug 4 2007, 10:12 AM) View Post

No I wasn't serious icon_wink.gif However, I don't even bother to watch TV because the "Stupider by the Minute" thing refers to, actually, almost all forms of television entertainment. icon_frown.gif

xD I was referring to the first post, MOP.
I should have clarified. Sorry!

Heh, I don't watch much TV anymore, either. icon_unsettled.gif

#6 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:45 PM

*sigh*

I long for my childhood days when original episodes of Tom and Jerry ran freely, unedited and no episodes were banned to return.

#7 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

I grew up loving the 90s cartoons. I've enjoyed cartoons like Doug, Kablam!, Hey Arnold!, Dexter's Lab, Tom & Jerry, Scooby-Doo, etc. But nowadays, I don't even find Spongebob (possibly the best cartoon that exists now) to be funny. I stopped watching TV altogether, because there's nothing I like, now (well, maybe TV Land is ok, though). I don't even watch the news, anymore.

#8 Tatsudoshi

Tatsudoshi

Senior

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

Haha, I remember Street Sharks and Extreme Dinosaurs. I also liked Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, SWAT Kats, and Project G.e.e.K.e.R.

I've also noticed the decline in quality cartoons lately. Maybe it's just because we're getting older, we think new cartoons just suck. But then again, if you look at educational shows for little kids, it seems like they just got dumbed down a lot.

I grew up with Sesame Street. They had simple numbers and ABC's, but even then, they had Grover and Cookie Monster thrown in for comic relief. My youngest sister, on the other hand, had Teletubbies, which seemed to have no real educational value whatsoever.

Switching over to TV shows for elementary school kids like TMNT and SWAT Kats, there's also been a huge reduction in violence. TMNT had constant physical violence, though no one was permanently harmed. SWAT Kats involved giant monsters literally being blown up. Now that was freaking awesome for a 7-year-old boy. icon_biggrin.gif

Nowadays, many cartoons don't involve much violence at all. Hell, you very rarely see any type of "super hero" cartoons (the kind I liked). It's usually comical or educational. The reason Project G.e.e.K.e.R. got taken off was because the TV station didn't have the required amount of educational programs, regardless of the show's high ratings. It's kinda disappointing. icon_unsettled.gif

#9 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:30 PM

I think that the dying form of Traditional Animation could bring back the glory days if someone made a cartoon series in that medium. The fact that a cartoon can just be whipped up in minutes now on a 2d computer programme means that less and much lesser time seems to be spent concentrating on character, storyline, music et cetera. THERE'S NO FRIGGIN POINT TO USE CEL SHADING OR FLASH ANIMATION IN A PROFFESIONAL CARTOON UNLESS IT'S ABSOLUTELY NECASSARRY! Ed Edd and Eddy was the last traditionaly animated series cartoon

#10 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE(Limzo @ Aug 4 2007, 03:30 PM) View Post

I think that the dying form of Traditional Animation could bring back the glory days if someone made a cartoon series in that medium. The fact that a cartoon can just be whipped up in minutes now on a 2d computer programme means that less and much lesser time seems to be spent concentrating on character, storyline, music et cetera. THERE'S NO FRIGGIN POINT TO USE CEL SHADING OR FLASH ANIMATION IN A PROFFESIONAL CARTOON UNLESS IT'S ABSOLUTELY NECASSARRY! Ed Edd and Eddy was the last traditionaly animated series cartoon

Ed Edd n Eddy was awesome for a cartoon series. The creator really knew how to make his audience laugh. Of course, Ed Edd n Eddy had some random moments, but those random moments were funny! Also, there's a lot of personality built into each character. It was as if the creator was always thinking of the number of ways a seemingly perfect scam from Eddy can crumble at a certain period of time and stuff. It's like that episode where the Eds try to escape from school by a crude plane made up of various stuff from around the school. It was like "Holy cow, something went right!", when Edd's shirt got caught in a twig, which ultimately threw them back into the school, and... well, you'd have to see the cartoon to understand what I mean. icon_lol.gif

#11 jimbob

jimbob

Accepting that no-one will get my avatar.

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

I grew up in the late 80s, where cartoons that weren't wacky (I like wacky, mind) didn't have to be educational.

The original Transformers, Jason & The Wheeled Warriors, Mask, Trap Door... not Scooby F***ing Doo though...

But, because Spantac's 7 years younger than me, I also got to jump in on the early 90s: 2 Stupid Dogs is a legend! The Tick, Dexter's Lab, the Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd 'n' Eddy, Ren & Stimpy, Avenger Penguins, Pinky & The Brain... uh-oh, feeling old and slightly down now.

#12 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

Oh, yes... Ed, Edd, and Eddy was a wonderful show.
The newer episodes though... Eh, not so great.

I had an obsession with Scooby Doo. The original show, you know? Not the one with Scrappy, not the 13 ghosts series... Just plain ol' Scooby Doo.

Oh! Does anyone remember Wishbone? Not a cartoon, but it was a show for kids.
Bill Nye the Science Guy... Heh, watched that every day after school.

I'd like to create an awesome cartoon one day, you know?
My life's goal! All you need is a good imagination!
...well, sorta.

#13 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

a good imagination, a talent with art, a talent with comedy... I wouldn't mind drawing my own cartoon, but I suck at funny and witty dialogue icon_frown.gif

Edited by Master_of_Power, 04 August 2007 - 04:02 PM.

#14 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

Well, that's why one never works alone whilst making a cartoon :O
...Usually. I'm not talking about comics and whatnot, of course.

#15 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:17 PM

I want to make a webcomic. In fact. I think I might just post a topic about it right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users