White Around Your Avatar?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

Okay, so this a thread. It's about having white around your avatar, having that white box around it. So I have a question, does it bother you when you have it and does it bother you when other people have it? Or do you don't give a crap and if it's an avatar you're happy..

I get bothered by it when it's myself, it makes me feel "unprofessional" or something, which it doesn't probably but it bothers me. I always have to edit it out in paint.net or some editing programs. As for other people, I don't really care, my monitor is so dark it's pretty hard to notice I'd say.

#2 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

If you're talking about people too lazy to properly alpha-channel their images (thereby removing the background color), then yeah, it's very unprofessional looking.

Look at my avatar. It's all black, with transparency (if you load it onto any other color background, it integrates nicely--except for black, in which case you can't see it). And it's not that hard to achieve in Photoshop.

#3 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:30 PM

Being able to use Photoshop at a professional level, I would never allow such a thing to happen.

However, if your avatar looks like this:

IPB Image

please do us a favor and use one of the stock ones until you find something better.

#4 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

It annoys me for my avatars to lack an alpha channel if they don't have a background. I don't really notice it on other peoples' avatars, though. It's just a five second operation in GIMP anyway.

Similarly, I always scale my avatars to 150x150 before uploading them. The scaler that IPB uses isn't as good as GIMP's.

#5 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

Yeah, what kind of a lame ass jerk would use an avatar with a plain white background without cropping it out?

(oh god i hope nobody saw my avatar a week or so ago)

#6 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

Yeah, I'm apart of the White Background. Don't care though. I <3 my King Pig from Angry Birds.

If you wanna do alpha-channel my image for me, go for it.

#7 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

It honestly bothers me more when other people don't have their avatars alpha channeled. I dunno why. I'm usually to lazy to do it for my own avatars~

Also,
QUOTE(Hunter P Brown @ Jun 27 2011, 10:49 AM) View Post

Yeah, I'm apart of the White Background. Don't care though. I <3 my King Pig from Angry Birds.

If you wanna do alpha-channel my image for me, go for it.

IPB Image

#8 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:43 AM

Thanks. Appreciate it. Tried doing it myself in The Gimp, but the background I uploaded became Black, which is worse. icon_frown.gif

#9 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:22 AM

I am guilty of it usually and don't really care either way. My current pic on twitter and steam shows this.

Edited by Eppy, 04 July 2011 - 01:23 AM.

#10 MysticGeno

MysticGeno

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:52 AM

The bizarre thing is when I uploaded my avatar (which locally appears to have proper alpha channels), it decided to show up with a black background (which killed the look of the image of course). So I built in a matching background and uploaded that. Come to think of it... perhaps the resizer is to blame, and an image of the right size wouldn't be "touched"? *ponders*

EDIT: Just tried that and it worked; awesome.

Edited by MysticGeno, 04 July 2011 - 02:01 AM.

#11 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

It depends. In most cases, I think it looks a bit unprofessional. However, this is an internet forum. Who really cares about users looking professional?

#12 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE(Lithium @ Jun 28 2011, 12:18 AM) View Post

IPB Image

Lol, I advice you to drag the image around if you're using PZC. Not sure whether Lithium added it in himself, but it still made me laugh.

The white background thing doesn't really bother me, I rarely even notice it.

#13 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

Can someone get rid of the border around my avatar for me. I've updated it to a new image of my favorite sorcerer but the background is lame.

EDIT: Did it myself. Post irrelevant.

Edited by blackbishop89, 09 July 2011 - 06:15 PM.

#14 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

what kind of lameass jerk makes a big deal about avatars for any other reason than to wave their dick around. QUITCHER s*** PEOPLE GODDAMN STOP BEING SO RACIST

#15 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE(Majora @ Jul 9 2011, 09:35 PM) View Post

what kind of lameass jerk makes a big deal about avatars for any other reason than to wave their dick around. QUITCHER s*** PEOPLE GODDAMN STOP BEING SO RACIST

Volume, I'm right next to you o-o. Calm down, if it's not that serious, then that kind of reaction isn't necessary either.
OOOOOOOOH I get it =/. How silly icon_razz.gif!

I say it depends. If your avatar is already jpeged, then it's going to be gross-looking no matter what. But if it's an animation/PNG where there's a set, non-jpeged palette, then why not fix it up a bit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users