• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:48 PM

http://www.computera...e.php?id=167210

Basically, the Florida Bar (the authority thompson and every other florida lawyer has to answer to) has suspended Jack's license to practice law for 3 months, and ordered him to undergo psychological tests. He has also attempted to sue his authorities in the bar on an occasion. This may be the last you ever hear of him, and if it isn't, that'll come soon enough.

Jack sent an email to gamepolitics.com regarding what happened in court, and basically whined and cried about it like a 6 year old.

QUOTE(Jack Thompson)
Thompson is not the one who needs a psych evaluation

yeah, he types in the third person in his emails.

#2 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:06 AM

Hahah. That's good. I'm going to go play GTA: San Andreas now and celebrate.

#3 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:27 AM

I'm not really much in favor of Grand Theft Auto or the types of games Rockstar makes (I think they actually degrade quality by focusing attention on pointless sensationalism), but I am quite glad to hear this sort of thing happening. Basically, a major institution that is above Thompson is saying "you're a loony who needs his head checked." Angry, white-collared caucasian males with an ax to grind and a Bible to thump need to hear this phrase more often.

#4 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 6 2007, 03:27 AM) View Post

I'm not really much in favor of Grand Theft Auto or the types of games Rockstar makes (I think they actually degrade quality by focusing attention on pointless sensationalism), but I am quite glad to hear this sort of thing happening. Basically, a major institution that is above Thompson is saying "you're a loony who needs his head checked." Angry, white-collared caucasian males with an ax to grind and a Bible to thump need to hear this phrase more often.

Beautifully said, Radien. icon_smile.gif

I'm really not a fan of the series myself, but I don't see why others shouldn't be able to enjoy it.

#5 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:21 PM

I have to say it... I just have to...

Pwned. icon_razz.gif

Maybe we won't see him again, but I'd doubt it. He'll find something else he doesn't like, and he will go after that; however, I did wonder about his mentality at certain times...

Of course, it looks like the future of freely making violent games got away, but I know someone will be heading that debate soon...

#6 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

Did any authority actually take him seriously?

#7 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:55 PM

nope. and Linkus, they are threatening to remove his license. That would mean he couldn't do any more of this crap

#8 Sprotret

Sprotret

What do you mean I don't believe in god?

• Banned

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

Can somone quote the thing? Everytime I click the site I have have to restart because Firefox stops loading anything and nothing will open. I've had to restart twice already, manually. My computer f-s up when I have to do that.

After reading about him in Wikipedia, I was disgusted that one kid had killed a girl after playing GTA 3. That was just wrong, I agreed with Thompson there. I mean who the hell would just go out and kill a random innocent person? Bastard(s)...

#9 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

I am glad that he is finally getting put in his place. Seriously, the guy complains about every video game. I think that if he had proper support, and wasn't so radical, it wouldn't be so bad. (I can understand trying to protect teens (13) from AO rated games, or the such, but he's just over the top.) He complained about any game with a sense of violence in it. He even claimed that the VT incident was caused by video games, when the guy's mom said that he doesn't own video game systems! He jumps on EVERY bad thing done by a teen, to be the result of video games, which is just very bad causation-correlation. He needs to be told to lay off it....

#10 Sprotret

Sprotret

What do you mean I don't believe in god?

• Banned

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(Takuya @ Jul 6 2007, 03:24 PM) View Post

I am glad that he is finally getting put in his place. Seriously, the guy complains about every video game. I think that if he had proper support, and wasn't so radical, it wouldn't be so bad. (I can understand trying to protect teens (13) from AO rated games, or the such, but he's just over the top.) He complained about any game with a sense of violence in it. He even claimed that the VT incident was caused by video games, when the guy's mom said that he doesn't own video game systems! He jumps on EVERY bad thing done by a teen, to be the result of video games, which is just very bad causation-correlation. He needs to be told to lay off it....

Ugh, Thompson sounds like an arrogant asshole.

#11 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

Thompson sounds like he's against games with any sort of violence. I wonder if he's one of those people who think violent video games are the source of real violence. Because if he is, he's wrong, anyway. It's the human will that causes people to take their violence from video games to reality. If the human will is not disciplined, that person is likely to take what he does in virtual reality and do it in real life, as well.

The solution: Discipline your children, parents! Teach them that video games aren't the same as reality! Tell them how bad the aftereffects from killing one person are.

You kill in a video game, you kill only sprites, and no one in virtual reality cares. You kill in real life, and you affect not only the victim's life, but you affect the victim's family and friends, giving them emotional breakdowns and such. You affect your family and your friends, and they won't come near you ever again. You affect everyone else around you in general, because they don't want to give even the time of day to a killer.

#12 jimbob

jimbob

Accepting that no-one will get my avatar.

• Members

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

Well said Animus. Lazy parents were raising thuggish children before video games.

I think it's wonderful that someone said "OK, now you're just a prat" to Thompson. I tried to think of something witty, but could only think of "ha ha ha ha ha."

I don't "especially enjoy" killing innocent people in things like GTA, and actually don't see any fun in Manhunt, but I did enjoy GTA for it's free-roaming 1 vs. the world adventure.

Let's start Thompson on Animal Crossing. They're cats... and they talk to you! And one fancies an eagle!!! BLASHFERMEE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users