Photo

Girl gets her leg severed at sixflags...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:14 AM

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=3304622

A teenage girl's legs were severed above the ankle while on a thrill ride at a popular amusement park on Thursday, park officials said.

The accident happened around 4:45 p.m. on the Superman Tower of Power at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, said Six Flags spokeswoman Wendy Goldberg.

It is unclear at what point during the ride the girl, 13, was injured, Goldberg said. The girl was taken to University Hospital. There was no immediate word on her condition.

The ride lifts passengers 177 feet straight up, then drops 154 feet, reaching a speed of 54 mph according to the park's Web site.

The ride has been shut down indefinitely while park officials investigate what caused the accident. The rest of the park remained open.

Vacation is more dangerous than a ****ing shark. IPB Image

#2 Windfish

Windfish

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:36 AM

YAWW!!! icon_wow.gif Superman's gone bad! icon_superevil.gif icon_evil.gif lol

Edited by Windfish, 01 July 2007 - 01:36 AM.

#3 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE(Windfish @ Jul 1 2007, 02:36 AM) View Post
YAWW!!! icon_wow.gif Superman's gone bad! icon_superevil.gif icon_evil.gif lol

Lol, Saw IV. icon_wink.gif

Wait, why the hell am I making this a joke?

Edited by Mr. Pimpy, 01 July 2007 - 04:11 AM.

#4 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:47 AM

Damn dude! I never knew a ride at a Six Flags Park would have been able to injure somebody! icon_eek.gif

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Jul 1 2007, 12:14 AM) View Post

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=3304622
Vacation is more dangerous than a ****ing shark. IPB Image

And no, vacation is not always dangerous. icon_eyebrow.gif

#5 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(Pokegamer1989 @ Jul 1 2007, 10:47 AM) View Post

And no, vacation is not always dangerous. icon_eyebrow.gif

Actually, according to statistics, there's a 34/1 chance that you'll get in an amusement park accident compared to being eaten by a shark.

#6 Papa

Papa

Disruptive and obnoxious member since 2005

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, I remember when this came across the news the other night. They actually closed all the Six Flags parks down for a time.

As for being injured at an amusement park/ theme park, um, its more common than you would think. I wont quote any statistics here, but google it, and youll see why.

~apoetalone~

Edited by apoetalone, 01 July 2007 - 10:16 AM.

#7 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Jul 1 2007, 10:01 AM) View Post

Actually, according to statistics, there's a 34/1 chance that you'll get in an amusement park accident compared to being eaten by a shark.

But neither happen very often, do they? icon_wink.gif

Seriously, people, accidents happen, but that doesn't mean these rides are unsafe. There are many, many, many more accidents in cars each year than there are in theme parks. There are thousands, if not tens of thousands, times the number of car accidents than there are accidents in theme parks. You don't need to be afraid of roller coasters, as it's very unlikely that anything will happen. However, accidents do happen, and with the technology involved and all of the moving parts, it's no surprise. Just keep in miind that nothing is completely safe in life. icon_shrug.gif
  • Evan20000 likes this

#8 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:56 AM

Man, two things here:

One: That sucks that she got hurt. And they can't find a cause of why? I bet you she was probably one of those lanky skinny girls with long legs, she pulled her foot back under her seat on the ride while it was going or something, and BOOM! Severed. I could be wrong on that, but that could be a possibility. I hope she's healing up at least.

And two: Oh, wow...one accident and they shut the ride down? Do that with schools, why don't you?

#9 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

Actually, it was caused by the support cable breaking. The cables are normally replaced every several hours (more than they really have to be replaced). The cable broke at a high velocity and cut right through her. The cable might not have been replaced as often as it should have been, or the cable might have simply been a "lemon", which happens from time to time in factory production. As of right now, the investigation hasn't located the cause of the cable breaking.

#10 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:43 PM

Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying that. That sucks how that happened, though.

#11 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

I actually went to Six Flags (in Georgia) a day or two after this happened. icon_eek.gif

They had Acrophobia, the ride that's almost exactly like the ride described here, closed down. The one in Georgia doen't use cables like that one, thoug. It uses rare earth magnets so that a power outage would have no effect on the ride. Cool, huh?

But that really DOES suck, what happened to that girl. It's probably ruined theme parks for her for the rest of her life.

#12 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:42 PM

Yikes, another injury... ugh. Loss of both feet.

This is another reason I hate rollercoasters. And although they may be safer than cars, stying away from 'coasters improves chance of survival.

Any more news on the girl's condition?

#13 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

Getting your legs cut off in an amusement park.... >_< ...good god, that's awful.

If you can find a link on the girl's condition it would be nice...

#14 jimbob

jimbob

Accepting that no-one will get my avatar.

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

That's pretty horrible. Fingers crossed the recuperation is OK.

At Gulliver's Land in Milton Keynes, a workman was decapitated on a mini train-ride. Although (obviously) that's fatal, it's probably not so bad globally as the park was shut at the time.

#15 Windfish

Windfish

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Jul 1 2007, 12:41 PM) View Post

Actually, it was caused by the support cable breaking. The cables are normally replaced every several hours (more than they really have to be replaced). The cable broke at a high velocity and cut right through her. The cable might not have been replaced as often as it should have been, or the cable might have simply been a "lemon", which happens from time to time in factory production. As of right now, the investigation hasn't located the cause of the cable breaking.

So, what does a lemon mean?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users