Mario Kart Mario Kart 8

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#31 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:50 AM

I'm sure this is news to no one by now, but Luigi looks freakin' evil in this game.

Seriously though, I haven't been able to play it yet because I'm broke ' ^ '

#32 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

I finally got the game myself. Here's a list of things I've noticed:

1) Doesn't display the requirements for each unlockable anywhere. You have to get an arbitrary amount of coins to unlock stuff and there is no choice in what you unlock, everything is unlocked in a linear fashion. Some of this information might be shown on the gamepad but I exclusively use the Wiimote and steering wheel.

2) There seems to be less warning when something is coming for you, making it much harder to avoid stuff without frequently pressing "A" to check behind you. The camera also seems to be notably closer to your character and there don't seem to be many/any visual indicators of projectiles approaching from behind making it impossible to notice something approaching from behind without actually looking behind you.

3) They removed the option of auto-drifting, the game now requires you to manually drift to be even remotely good at the game at 150cc. Why did they remove this option? I don't know! They spent all that time implementing Super Guides and invincibility powerups to make their games more inclusive and accessible and then BAM, not doing that shit anymore.

4) The menus are very basic and completion of a single player Grand Prix Cup will send you back to the main menu instead of letting you immediately choose the next Cup. So once you beat a Cup you must choose Single Player, Grand Prix, 150cc, Character, Vehicle setup and THEN the next cup. Tedious! (Takes longer if you've unlocked something, too)

5) The series still lacks the option to do Grand Prix with custom rules, in single player.

1) I'm fairly certain this has always been true.

2) What?  There are constant warnings at the bottom of the screen that appear with plenty of time for you to prepare.

3) I don't see how this is a problem, since I don't recall auto-drift appearing in any other game besides Wii.

4) Same as 1.

5) This is why Vs. mode exists.

Sorry if I sound like an ass, but I don't understand the validity of these complaints.  Most of the problems listed are implemented for the purposes of tradition (I'm not saying the tradition is the perfect method, but having played the series since I was young they don't bother me that much) or are easily fixable.

• Moonbread and The Satellite like this

#33 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

From what I've kind of gathered, I don't think auto-drift was completely removed.  I think it was just toned down.  It still happens, but it's still best to manually drift.

Honestly, I like the more subtle auto-drift.  I feel like it's something that really helps balance MK.  I think one big issue with MK Wii was that they tried to make it too accessible.  Skill was almost not needed at all outside just basic understanding of the game.  I feel like MK 8 does a really good job of making it so that skill matters, but allowing players who aren't as good to have a decent chance.

• Dawnlight likes this

#34 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:02 AM

There is a visual indication for blue/red shells and bullet bills etc. coming up from behind but not for green shells. Because the camera is closer to you you can not see the shell approach from behind you while not specifically looking behind you. So you can hear it but you can't see where it is relative to you without taking your eyes off the road unlike other powerups.

Edit: The closer camera also makes it harder to see people racing on walls/the ceiling etc. diminishing the noveltty of such things a bit as well.

Edit: See, no green shell indicator! http://youtu.be/YhnABqomUwU?t=4m25s. Watch the entire next race to see more green shells with no indication, including one that screw him over near the end of the final lap http://youtu.be/YhnABqomUwU?t=6m2s

Anyways, I primarily played Mario Kart Wii and none of the others (Mario Kart 64 is my favourite though) and Mario Kart Wii has on screen position indicators for green shells.

Edited by franpa, 05 June 2014 - 05:35 AM.

#35 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

I think one big issue with MK Wii was that they tried to make it too accessible.  Skill was almost not needed at all outside just basic understanding of the game.  I feel like MK 8 does a really good job of making it so that skill matters, but allowing players who aren't as good to have a decent chance.

That's exactly how I feel about Mario Kart Wii as well. I will always remember Mario Kart Wii's online to be the Modern Warfare 2 of Mario Kart. It's because Nintendo was trying to market the Wii to appeal more to the casual audience. So much that they try to make the game more casual friendly so that casuals can "immediately stay bumper to bumper with a Kart veteran" (Reggie E3 2007) and plus having them utilize a slew of overpowered/used powerups. Good thing Mario Kart 7 and beyond fixes this issue. I actually found that 8 requires a lot more strategy than MKWii did. I actually like how you can only carry one item at a time. It opens up strategy to go either offensive or defensive with your items. It also opens up high risk high reward situations whether to hold onto the one item you are carrying or use it and try for a better item. That combined with very broad courses, you can't get any more competitive than that.

#36 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

Here's an impression: 150cc sucks.

Also have a "highlight."

#37 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

This sums up Mario Kart well.

seinfeld-kart-finalc6cla.gif

• DCEnygma, Moonbread, Russ and 1 other like this

#38 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

I like the lack of a green shell indicator because it takes more skill for someone to throw one accurately than to say, throw a red shell or blue spiny.  It's a bit more of an edge to a weapon that doesn't home in on an enemy.

Anyway, just beat my first 150cc Grand Prix (after quite a few failures) and I think I'll sum it up with this:

zb3aX2h.png

• LinktheMaster, DCEnygma, The Satellite and 2 others like this

#39 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

tbh, I didn't really find 150cc to be devilishly challenging. :shrug: It just requires strategy.

#40 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

I see someone hasn't seen himself getting the short end of the bad luck stick...

• Dawnlight likes this

#41 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

You mean the blue shell - lightning - red shell - bump off ledge - green shell combo at the end of the last lap?

• DCEnygma, Moonbread, SpacemanDan and 3 others like this

#42 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

For me it was the blue shell/racer with green shell ring/banana/red shell combo on last lap.

Among other random factors beyond my control.

Still not as bad as Mario Kart Wii.

• MarinaraSauce likes this

#43 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

For me, I get crappy 2nd player luck. :( There's been so many times I've been in 2nd place and getting absolutely nothing but bananas and coins.  Or the boomerang with the player in front of me no where in sight.  How can I catch up with no items? :(

• The Satellite likes this

#44 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

I get that too. I've also gotten red shells while in first place than in second, I swear. I suppose that's helpful if you fall behind though I guess, or as a shield...

#45 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

I see someone hasn't seen himself getting the short end of the bad luck stick...

If you were going for an all 3-Star Ranking on 150cc then I see your point, but getting a gold on 150cc wasn't really that difficult. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mario Kart, Mario Kart 8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users