Arwing of Time

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

If you've visited The Hylia in the past couple days, you'll have read a news article there called "Arwing of Time: New Development". Well, if you have, great! If not, then, well, it's basically saying that there's a way to fight the Arwing in OoT without a cheating device. They don't tell you how though. icon_augh.gif

http://www.thehylia....o...om=&ucat=26

First off, YES, THERE IS A REAL ARWING IN OoT!!! Alot of people don't believe that. Second, somewhere in the comments section, someone said that the way to do it, is right after you press A to open a trap chest, you press Z or R twice. That is NOT true. He said so himself. So anyway, I just thought I'd share this strange news with everyone (and to see if anyone can find the answer icon_razz.gif).

#2 jimbob

jimbob

Accepting that no-one will get my avatar.

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:25 PM

I know you can see it with a GameShark... but not without. That whole thing's bollocks.

#3 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

No, the guy who posted it was Cadohacan. He's extremely reliable when it comes to Zelda 64 beta/hacking. He was responsible for alot of beta discoveries.

#4 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

I don't understand why an arwing would pop out of a chest in zelda though.

Arwings are for space not chests... unless the chest was a warp to another world icon_sweat.gif

#5 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

What I gather from this is that an Arwing flying out of a chest is coded into the game, but there's no way to trigger it without hacking. We alrady knew the Arwing was in the game; all that guy discovered was a script that causes it to come from a treasure chest. But, there's still no way to trigger it.

#6 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:39 PM

@ Master_of_Power - It's called an easter egg. icon_wink.gif

@ Sharon Daniel - Cadohacan said in the article that he did find a way to trigger it without hacking... But he wants to keep the secret because he thinks discovering the answer is most of the fun. BS, I say. Some people don't have the time or skill to go through tons of code to find the answer to some little easter egg.

Edit: Also, The reason it hasn't been discovered before, is probably because they only come out of ice trap chests when you do something "very special".

Edited by Beta Link, 26 July 2007 - 07:49 PM.

#7 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:27 PM

I don't have any way of testing it in a timely fashion, but I think I might have it.

V0 and V1 are use to store the results of subroutines. Like it says, they're never changed during that brief period, nor are there any branches. Those values are only going to be changed via hardware interrupts. Apparently, pressing buttons doesn't have any effect, so I expect they must be masking all the interrupts they can.

As far as I can tell from the N64's patent (www.freepatentsonline.com/6267673.html), there's only one thing you can do to generate a non-maskable interrupt.

Press reset.

Edit: Dug up the N64 and found out I had a save in just the right place. Tried it. Didn't work. Bah.

There's also the possiblity that the check at $803A5250 can be bypassed, but I don't see a way to do that in the bit of code shown.

Edited by Saffith, 27 July 2007 - 12:19 AM.

#8 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

Hmm. I heard that you can get it to work with the famous Crooked Cartridge Trick.
That explains why the CCT works with it. It's a hardware interrupt.

#9 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:05 AM

No, that's not what I mean... An interrupt is a structured way of calling a subroutine in response to an event which is well understood, but whose occurrence cannot be predicted. Pressing buttons, for instance. The developers know exactly what happens in the hardware when a button is pressed, but there's no way to tell when it will happen. The effects of a crooked cartridge can't reasonably be known in advance, so it can't really be planned for.

#10 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:11 AM

Maybe it works a little like Chris Hoolihan's room. When you open a chest, if there is a major error, an arwing will appear. But the N64 doesn't make mistakes like that very often, so you would have to do something while opening the chest to cause an error.

#11 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:30 AM

Stop n' Swap
icon_razz.gif

#12 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:39 PM

Everyone keeps mentioning this "Stop n' Swap" thing, but I have no idea what it is. icon_confused.gif

#13 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:13 PM

Stop n' Swap is from Banjo-Kazooie. You were supposed to be able to collect items in B-K and then switch the game with Banjo-Tooie to accuire the items. They abandoned the idea though 'cause it apparently wouldn't work properly.

#14 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(Master_of_Power @ Jul 26 2007, 07:44 PM) View Post

I don't understand why an arwing would pop out of a chest in zelda though.

Arwings are for space not chests... unless the chest was a warp to another world icon_sweat.gif

If I can remember right, Starfox 64 and OoT used the same graphics engine as SM64, which explains the Arwing...

Hmm... I wonder if can jump off that bridge... I might have an idea how to do it.

#15 jimbob

jimbob

Accepting that no-one will get my avatar.

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Jul 27 2007, 08:13 PM) View Post

Stop n' Swap is from Banjo-Kazooie. You were supposed to be able to collect items in B-K and then switch the game with Banjo-Tooie to accuire the items. They abandoned the idea though 'cause it apparently wouldn't work properly.

Exactly. I think Rare were waiting on the Memory Expansion Pack after Banjo Kazooie - however Nintendo changed the spec. before it came out. At one point in development the memory on it wasn't instantly volatile, meaning data could "stay" there once power button switched off.

Arwings don't come out of chests in the final version of OoT. It was probably put there as a placeholder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users