• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

Hi everyone,

After a bit of messing around in Photoshop with the cover of the latest Harry Potter book, I've managed to make an editable template of the UK children's editions, by far the most popular publications of the books.
Unfortunately I couldn't get the same fonts used as they wanted to charge me money for them, but in case anybody is interested I have a png file containing the typeset for the words below Harry Potter. Making the most of this situation, I found the fonts on my computer that look most like that of the front of the book, and think I was quite successful.

The template looks like this, and the Photoshop version can be downloaded here. Note: When you are editing the text that says, "and the", DO NOT move it whatsoever, as it is as central as I can possibly get it.

Here is an example of what can be done with the template, and it shouldn't take more than five minutes to get a design that is not unlike the ones really found on the book, provided you already have a detailed illustration to put into place. Take notice that a bit of the real illustrations usually goes "out of it's box" a bit, above the designated area, as is shown in this image, but this does not always have to happen.

I hope you guys like this,
Limzo.

#2 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

That's great and all, but the US book covers are much more detailed.

IPB Image

IPB Image

#3 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

Well, I thought about that, but the U.S. versions seem much harder to create a Photoshop template of... then again, I think I have that font somewhere on my PC.... and the subtitle is included in the drawing...

I'll see what I can do.

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:25 PM

Yeah, all the American covers are pretty beastly. icon_biggrin.gif

But I like what you did there, Limzo. icon_wink.gif

#5 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jul 26 2007, 02:25 AM) View Post
Yeah, all the American covers are pretty beastly. icon_biggrin.gif

But I like what you did there, Limzo. icon_wink.gif

Well, now that I look more carefully, the US template would consist of the Harry Potter logo and "J.K.ROWLING" in front of a transparent background, and that would be it. I'm sure that most people can do that themselves. icon_heh.gif

EDIT: Using two browser windows, you can quickly compair the differences between my template and the original file that I used. Then you'll see why I wished I had the actual fonts.

Edited by Limzo, 26 July 2007 - 02:46 AM.

#6 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:14 AM

I love this idea, too bad my low photoediting skills only let me putting a text on a picture, but not placing one into another... (Yes, I tried.)

You should see the first 4 HP book's Hungarian cover, they are almost overdetailed (5 and 6 are lousy, 7 is nonexistent yet). I tried to find picture, but couldn't.

#7 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:19 AM

Can they be found here: http://www.hpsorcery...=...d=42&page=1

#8 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:00 AM

Hungarian covers: (just with Hungarian texts instead of English)
Harry Potter és a Bölcsek Köve
Harry Potter és a Titkok Kamrája
Harry Potter és az azkabani fogoly
Harry Potter és a Tűz Serlege
Harry Potter és a Főnix Rendje
Harry Potter és a Félvér Herceg

Seems like they aren't exclusive to Hungary, rather international covers. (Man, are the german ones ugly!)

I still wouldn't bet that there aren't any Hungary-exclusive covers, especially because there is a site with a poll that mentions the Hungarian cover as a separate option. The site is here.

I may as well tell some English=>Hungarian changes just for fun. (They aren't word by word translations, mind you... just name changes)
Hogwarts - Roxfort
Gryffindor - Griffendél
Ravenclaw - Hollóhát (back of the raven)
Hufflepuff - Hugrabug (refers for happy jumping)
Slytherin - Mardekár (Word by word translation: "It bites, how pity!"
McGonagall - McGalagony (refers for a forest plant)
Severus Snape - Perselus Piton
Goyle - Monstro
Crabble - Crak
Mad-eye Moody - Rémszem Mordon (Freakeye Mordon)

There is a teacher (who replaces Hagrid sometimes) who is called "Suette Polts". Well, this sounds like "Szúette polc", which means "Shelf eaten by woodeater insects". Funny.

There is a Hungarian dragon in the 4th book, yay!

#9 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:18 AM

^Those are the same as the US covers.

#10 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Jul 26 2007, 10:18 AM) View Post
^Those are the same as the US covers.

He just mentioned that they were the international covers. The covers used in Eastern Europe are obviously the same as the US covers but with Hungarian/Polish et cetera writing instead of English.

Anyway, who is enjoying my template?

#11 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(Limzo @ Jul 26 2007, 03:43 AM) View Post

Well, now that I look more carefully, the US template would consist of the Harry Potter logo and "J.K.ROWLING" in front of a transparent background, and that would be it. I'm sure that most people can do that themselves. icon_heh.gif

I know that. icon_heh.gif
QUOTE(Limzo @ Jul 26 2007, 03:43 AM) View Post

EDIT: Using two browser windows, you can quickly compair the differences between my template and the original file that I used. Then you'll see why I wished I had the actual fonts.

The British cover is really ugly, IMO. icon_disgust.gif

#12 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jul 26 2007, 03:00 AM) View Post

I may as well tell some English=>Hungarian changes just for fun. (They aren't word by word translations, mind you... just name changes)
Hogwarts - Roxfort
Gryffindor - Griffendél
Ravenclaw - Hollóhát (back of the raven)
Hufflepuff - Hugrabug (refers for happy jumping)
Slytherin - Mardekár (Word by word translation: "It bites, how pity!"
McGonagall - McGalagony (refers for a forest plant)
Severus Snape - Perselus Piton
Goyle - Monstro
Crabble - Crak
Mad-eye Moody - Rémszem Mordon (Freakeye Mordon)

There is a teacher (who replaces Hagrid sometimes) who is called "Suette Polts". Well, this sounds like "Szúette polc", which means "Shelf eaten by woodeater insects". Funny.

Those are always interesting to see icon_biggrin.gif
I know that some of the names had special meanings, like how Hagrid means blood and Albus means white or something like that.

Anyway, I like what you've done, Limzo. I'd try it myself, but I'm not too handy in photoshop =/

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(GoldenChocobo @ Jul 26 2007, 01:21 PM) View Post

I know that some of the names had special meanings, like how Hagrid means blood and Albus means white or something like that.

John Granger, in his book entitled Looking for God in Harry Potter, explains how a major hidden theme in Harry Potter is alchemy. In the whole alchemic process, there are three stages: nigredo (black), albedo (white), and rubedo (red). He believed three characters represented these stages, respectively: Sirius Black, Albus Dumbledore, and Rubeus Hagrid. Indeed, you have Black, Albus means "white," and Rubeus means "red."

Names mean everything in Harry Potter. icon_wink.gif

#14 Spantac

Spantac

Magus

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

Proffessor Grubblyplank? icon_lol.gif

I know it's because I'm used to them, but I prefer the UK covers. The US ones look a bit "childish" to me.

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(Spantac @ Jul 26 2007, 08:04 PM) View Post

I know it's because I'm used to them, but I prefer the UK covers. The US ones look a bit "childish" to me.

And this doesn't? icon_unsettled.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users