39 replies to this topic

#31 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Jul 26 2007, 04:10 AM) View Post

I have an old box set that only holds the first four books... icon_shrug.gif

I have one that only holds the first three. Then the fourth is by itself, and the fifth is in it's own special box cover thing... o_O and then the sixth and seventh are by themselves as well.

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jul 26 2007, 05:57 AM) View Post

I like the American covers better... you can see how Grand Pre's (sp?) art style has evolved from very childish to very realistic.

I agree. The American covers have always been more attractive, in my opinion. More detailed. Me likes detailed icon_wink.gif

#32 Spantac

Spantac

Magus

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 26 2007, 10:54 AM) View Post

You haven't seen the back of the cover. It wraps around. Check it out here:

http://blntechie.fil...7/04/usfull.jpg
(big image alert...it's almost 1MB)

It's simply showing Harry confronting Voldy. I don't think it makes the scene look terribly happy. Harry looks determined and confident.

By the way, here's yet another Deathly Hallows cover. Not sure where this cover was released, but it's marked "adult" as well. Looks better than the "adult" cover shown above. It gives a nice shot of the locket.
http://papercuts.tsc...thlyHallows.jpg (102KB)

I don't really like the UK cover much because it shows what I consider to be a minor part of the story. I don't know why watching the main characters get burned by money is supposed to make a good cover. But it's better than some of their past covers, at least. I wonder if the onslaught of treasure is supposed to represent Rowling's rise to fame?... icon_wink.gif

Another reason I prefer the US covers is because they are full-color wraparounds. They're pretty color-themed, for that matter, which makes for an attractive collection:

IPB Image

(...Silly bookstores, selling a box set that won't hold the last book in the series. icon_doh.gif )

I have seen it. But I still disagree. I was wrong about the adult cover though, what on Earth was that thing I found? Maybe it's because I'm used to the ones I have, but I really prefer the UK covers. I would also disagree and say that the US covers are less detailed - look at them next to eachother! How could you say it was more detailed? I don't like the font either, it's a bit to "wacky", though I don't like the UK font either.

Why, though, is Harry drawn so wierd-looking? On both covers.

#33 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE(Spantac @ Jul 26 2007, 05:27 PM) View Post
I have seen it. But I still disagree. I was wrong about the adult cover though, what on Earth was that thing I found?

I don't know, but someone somewhere is trying to appeal to adults. To be fair, some people are perfectly fit to read the Potter series but don't want a childish-looking cover on their bookshelf. Still, the one with the picture of the locket was quite superior. Harry Potter doesn't need to look like the victim of an art murder. icon_razz.gif

QUOTE(Spantac @ Jul 26 2007, 05:27 PM) View Post
Maybe it's because I'm used to the ones I have, but I really prefer the UK covers. I would also disagree and say that the US covers are less detailed - look at them next to eachother! How could you say it was more detailed? I don't like the font either, it's a bit to "wacky", though I don't like the UK font either.

Why, though, is Harry drawn so wierd-looking? On both covers.

I've generally disliked the typical UK fantasy covers I've seen. It's not that UK artists aren't ask skilled, but the generally accepted style seems weird to me. I'd point out that many of the artists seem not to have read the books, but that's true of many American artists, too (this doesn't apply to Harry Potter on either count, though). One example is Discworld: the artwork that makes the cover is typically totally inappropriate to the book. It drives me nuts because Terry Pratchett already has an artist who knows his world inside out: Paul Kidby. But he never does the covers. icon_frown.gif Perhaps he's too expensive and his art is too detailed for covers... In cases like that I tend to prefer generic covers with little more than than an icon or two to represent the book's theme.

As for the US covers being "detailed"... I actually didn't say that. On the other hand, being detailed doesn't necessarily make for good art. The US covers put a lot of emphasis on the look of "brushstrokes," which I find effective since a wand is kinda like a magical brush. icon_smile.gif

#34 Spantac

Spantac

Magus

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:02 PM

The two covers give a different feel, so seeing the story represented in a different way is strange and kinda insulting to someone.

Tell you what is good though - the Lord of the Rings illustrations icon_biggrin.gif

#35 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

I finished it. I have to say it was quite good and ended quite well.

#36 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE(GoldenChocobo @ Jul 23 2007, 04:07 AM) View Post
I totally agree! Part of me was like, Yeah, you go, Harry! And the other was like, No! Don't! You'll die!

But I knew he wouldn't, because the Harry Potter series needed a happy conclusion. Besides, she's [meaning Rowling] been so cruel to Harry throughout the books, don't you think he deserves a happy ending?

I almost cried again when Fred died... and then Tonks and Lupin... Oh! But Mrs. Weasley was totally awesome at the end! She got Bellatrix! I was so proud of her. I always liked Mrs. Weasley.

icon_biggrin.gif

Well, Mrs Weasley is one hot woman! icon_naughty.gif

And Spantac, the Adult cover doesn't look like that, it looks like this: http://www.fantastic...n44/n220417.jpg

#37 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

I'd have wished to hear more at the end about what happened "19 years later". Did Arthur Weasley become minister for Magic? How's George getting on now? What is Harry's job? And so on ...

#38 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE(Koopa @ Jul 29 2007, 03:21 PM) View Post
I'd have wished to hear more at the end about what happened "19 years later". Did Arthur Weasley become minister for Magic? How's George getting on now? What is Harry's job? And so on ...

Nyah, I prefer it the way it is, left to our own imagination. I'd have liked it if "King's Cross" was the last chapter. I've been reading a lot of Roal Dahl recently and really like the fact that the end of his stories are open ended and "King's Cross" finishes in a way that is perfectly as good an ending as "19 years later". Yes, we don't get to find out what happens to voldemort, but we know what Harry would do.

#39 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:28 AM

At home we discussed a lot what the ending might be before we got the book. One thing that we thought likely is that Harry and Voldemort both killed each other. In a sense, King's Cross would have made a great ending if Voldemort had died there too.

#40 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

I guessed that Harry was a Horcrux long before the book was released, and eveyone I know who reads Harry Potter thought I was stupid, but who's laughing now?

Had Nagini been killed earlier than she was, earlier than Voldemort killed Harry then because those two were both Horcruxes I believe that King's Cross would have been a perfect ending, as all of Voldy's Horcruxes had been destroyed so it would be left to think that the wimpering child was a very very young Tom Riddle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users