Favorite Graphics

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

Which one do we put isometric games on? (Everything Chris Sawyer makes, Simcity 2000 and 3000, Civilization 2,3,and 4)

Edit: Until I get an answer, I will group them seperately.

Isometric: Transport Tycoon Deluxe
2D: Geomotry Wars Evolved
3D: Final Fantasy Nine (FF7 had much too dark a pallete)

Edited by fuzzyman, 22 July 2007 - 10:14 PM.

#17 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

2D... I loved Sonic! I had a Sega long ago.. and some kitty chewed on the cords so that I couldn't play it anymore.

3D... Mm, that's hard. I'd like to say FFXII, but there's also Dirge of Cerberus and TP, of course. Three-way tie?

#18 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:06 PM

Oh, I forgot: Metroid Fusion for the GBA had pretty amazing graphics.

#19 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

Whaaaat? Fusion is fugly compared to Zero Mission.

#20 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

Never played Zero Mission. Wanted to, but never got around to it. I should get a ROM...

#21 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:21 PM

Yep, should.

#22 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:43 PM

Hmm... My favorite are from Golden Sun and TP, I think...

#23 Tatsudoshi

Tatsudoshi

Senior

• Members

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:53 PM

My favorite 2-D graphics are probably Super Metroid's. They were detailed and easy on the eyes. The effects they used at times were also awesome, such as the heat effects in certain rooms of Norfair and the underwater areas of Maridia. The newer Metroid games really can't hold a candle to Super Metroid. Fusion and Zero Mission's palettes are way too bright and stick out.

As for 3-D, it's a tough choice. But I think I'd have to go with Silent Hill 3's graphics, with Silent Hill 4 being close. Silent Hill 3 and 4 both had amazing detail on their character models for a PS2 game. Heather's freckles were noticeable, and Douglas' facial hair showed. The fog/haze effects were nice, but where the game's effects really shined were in the "Otherworld" areas, such as crawling burn marks and "living" walls of flesh.

I'm actually kinda surprised some people put TP as a favorite. Sure, some places looked nice, but a lot of areas and character models were just plain bland (Hyrule Field, anyone?). It would've been nice if they plopped down a few more bushes and rock formations rather than having hundreds of square feet just be flat land. My mom even commented on how plain the mountains looked in the opening title. Of course, it wasn't like OoT was any better, and Majora's Termina Field was too small to consider (although most of the areas were nicely done).

Edited by Tatsudoshi, 22 July 2007 - 10:55 PM.

#24 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

My favorite 2-D graphics are probably Super Metroid's. They were detailed and easy on the eyes. The effects they used at times were also awesome, such as the heat effects in certain rooms of Norfair and the underwater areas of Maridia. The newer Metroid games really can't hold a candle to Super Metroid. Fusion and Zero Mission's palettes are way too bright and stick out.

I personally love Zero Mission, and I think Super Metroid is painfully ugly.

#25 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:18 PM

2D - Terranigma/Seiken Densetsu 3

3D - Twilight Princess/FF12

#26 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:18 PM

Never played Super Metroid either. Oh well.

Twilight Princess had good graphics, but no where near some of the games on the 360 and PS3 now. It really shined in gameplay, though, and that in addition to its good graphics quality may have made it a favorite.

#27 king-n

king-n

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:26 PM

It sounds like we're talking more about art style rather than Graphics. Either way:

2D: Legend of Mana. I found it to be visually stunning.

3D: Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. Too different to choose.

#28 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:09 AM

I can't believe so many people are saying Twilight Princess. TP's graphics are average at best.

#29 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

Yeah, TP's graphics are kind of disapointing, the textures are the worst here IMO. The effects are well done though.

My personal best game for the graphics is Splinter Cell Double Agent. icon_wink.gif

#30 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:25 PM

Twilight Princess definitely had beautiful graphics. I only wish the wii had ps3-grade graphics, then it would have probably been nothing less than perfection.
As for 2d, FF6 takes the lead. It completely pushed the limits of 2d Snes games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users