Photo

Super Mario Odyssey

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#61 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:13 AM

However, it wouldn't be so pointless if you had a limited number of lives per stage and you were kicked back out if you lost them all like in Starfox Zero. Which then by all means having a lives counter won't be pointless, but Nintendo doesn't appear to be going that route for the series.

This wouldn't be so bad either, though not in an open world setting like Mario Odyssey. Splatoon employed this system in its singleplayer and it worked great; you get three "lives" per stage, which refresh at each checkpoint. Not a bad system.

#62 TheTrueMarioMaster

TheTrueMarioMaster

Initiate

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:29 AM

Really excited for the Super Mario Odyssey as you can tell then I can continue my streak of beating every single official Mario game by 100% though you would probably guess that by my username.  Personally I don't really look for much in a Mario game and I wasn't sure how Nintendo was going to top it off after Galaxy but with what I have seen in the first trailer amazed me but it's that second trailer that has far exceeded my expectations.  Although if what I hear about the lives is true then I will miss that system since while many people believe lives are pointless I see them as an extra thing worth collecting to avoid a game over and while it is true that game overs can be unforgiving I feel like the same can be said to certain games without life systems where dying has no real consequences and just places you back to right where you have died and in some games dying might be beneficial like in the original Amnesia: The Dark Descent where dying actually despawns the monster when you start over.

Speaking of starting over from the beginning that reminds me of the time I first got a Gamecube which came with the Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition which had the first two Zelda games, the first two 3D Zelda games, and a demo for Wind Waker.  I also got Super Mario Sunshine at the same time but unfortunately I didn't get a memory card with my gifts so while playing Super Mario Sunshine whenever I got a game over or turned off the game I would have to start from the very beginning, you can probably imagine how horrible that experience would be when progressing through a game and then having to start at the very beginning and have to go through those intro cut scenes again and again.  The farthest I gotten without a memory card was to gelato beach before I had to call it quits for whatever reason, didn't really experience the same problem with the Zelda games for I sucked at them at first so I didn't really make any progress worth saving.  Once I got a memory card things changes which me finally able to progress further in Super Mario Sunshine and beating all the game in the collection even Zelda II: the Adventure of Link.  Those were good times in the 2000s.

Edited by TheTrueMarioMaster, 16 June 2017 - 01:31 AM.

#63 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:21 AM

Depending on what "open world" means for this game, there could be reason to modify lives.

If we're talking about individual-course-games like 64, Sunshine and Galaxy, then Game Over can go away, but dying in a level? No. After all, it's not about being sent back it's about becoming good enough to be capable of going through the whole course/challenge in one go. It's an achievement. I mean, always getting through every level your first try? No thanks.

(Okay, I'm done)

Edited by Cukeman, 16 June 2017 - 03:43 PM.

#64 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:27 AM

@Cukeman, seriously, Dark Green Forum Theme and your font colour is bad combination! http://imgur.com/a/ysxAs Don't make me have to remind you yet again! :whap:

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 16 June 2017 - 02:28 AM.

#65 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:02 AM

Huh? Is this a joke? I just type, I don't set a color, it's default black right?

#66 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:47 AM

Huh? Is this a joke? I just type, I don't set a color, it's default black right?

By default the font is a light green on a dark green background for the Dark Green forum theme.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 16 June 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#67 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, Cukeman for some reason, your text is dark green for me too, but it's hardly noticable on the mobile skin. :P

Edit: And it's only that one post. Odd.

#68 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

Oh sometimes I think copy-pasting from other posts throws in font attributes. Strange

#69 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

Pasting as plain text fixes that.

#70 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:23 PM

Oh sometimes I think copy-pasting from other posts throws in font attributes. Strange

It's especially strange that I can't view the used syntax when quoting the post and looking at the code.

#71 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

This game looks great, but my goodness was that song terrible. :P

Edited by Migokalle, 16 June 2017 - 09:18 PM.

• Shane, strike and Cukeman like this

#72 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:58 PM

Wait a min...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Source: https://twitter.com/...838025704013825

Edited by thepsynergist, 16 June 2017 - 09:58 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#73 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:36 PM

Heh. Wacky Worlds. Glad I'm not the only one who caught that.

• Anthus likes this

#74 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:42 PM

Song may have cheesy lyrics, but who cares? The music was great and it was catchy and that makes me like it.

• Anthus likes this

#75 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:42 PM

I caught that line too :P. I for one, love the song. I'll admit, when I first heard it, it was really awkward at first to hear lyrics in a Mario trailer of all things, but the song has grown on me quite a bit. I know it's a bit corny, but I feel like it is supposed to be. And come on, that base line is pure Mario all the way.

... Especially the part about "flipping the switch". "Switch".. Now, where have I heard that before? Returning Switch Palaces confirmed. :D

EDIT:

Here is the full song for those interested

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users