Creating my first quest with ZC

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:42 PM

You're looking up Prarie Dogs habits and Egyptian tombs to make your dungeons? As crazy as it sounds, that a good idea. I wonder why nobody thought of that before.

#32 Nyeshet

Nyeshet

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:08 PM

I just look to the real world for inspiration. I rather suspect others have thought of this before me, although perhaps not to the degree I am going. Regarding the various dungeons, my current considerations are as follows:

Plains. . . based on . . warrens of burrowing creatures
Forest. . . based on . . hedge maze? complex forest paths? overgrown ruins?
Mountain. . based on . . mines?, Dwarven halls?
Desert. . . based on . . Egyptian tombs (Valley of Kings)
Swamp . . . based on . . ?? (not too many sunken complex structures in RL)
Seamount. . based on . . lava tubes? sea caves? reefs?
Graveyard . based on . . catacombs? rpg ghoul warrens?
Ice . . . . based on . . ?? (ice caves change to often to be mapped)

For swamps I am considering a palace that has sunk in the mire over the ages. I might look to the more complex palace designs of the Minoans, NW Europeans, and so forth.

Ice is still a bit of a mystery to me. In all of RW human history not much has been built there *to* be iced over. I might look more to mountainous civilizations. A glacier might have scoured off the top only to leave the basements buried. Or perhaps it will be an icy cave on the top of a mountain instead of a dungeon in / on a glacier, as I at first considered. It is next to the mountains after all. Either way - a hall burrowed into the stone of ice capped mountains, a glacier cave allowing access to the basement regions of a castle that once was in the region - I think it will work out somehow.

#33 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:39 PM

Wow, I never thought of that approach. I can see great things coming from this quest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users