Xbox One

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#16 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

Microsoft focused too much on making Xbox as an entertainment box that they abandon their focus on producing games you can only play on Xbox. Explain why Microsoft had to resort on timed-exclusive content? And Microsoft admitted that they don't care about exclusives. Unless if you are a hardcore Halo fan, you probably skipped Xbox 360 and played on PC.

#17 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

I prefer to see it as they already know the keys to making a good game (or developers do), they're just wanting to make their consoles more interesting in other ways as well without resorting to gimmicks. Ya know, other than Kinect.

(Not that online game registration/used game fee are good things.)

#18 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Here's something I think almost everyone needs to hear and take to heart.

These types of events are not for gamers.  Microsoft honestly doesn't care enough to make big events like these for gamers.  Neither does Nintendo.  Nor does Sony.

These events are for investors and shareholders.  And honestly.  This was a good showing for that.  Microsoft is showing off that its system will be able to compete with the PS4 in terms of power.  They showed that it'll be good for an entertainment system, which is something that the common household finds useful.  They have built-in DRM and easier architecture to make games for, meaning that game developers will feel more comfortable making game for the system.  These are very good features, and some of these features are good selling points to break to investors.  These are points that they can sell to the average household.

Companies don't have to make these showings focused on gamers anymore.  It's not needed.  Do they need to show off that the next Halo game is going to be for the XBox 360?  Do they have to show that they have first party exclusives that they're working on?  Do they have to show that third parties are making all the games we're used to?  No.  Because the hardcore gamers that care about that stuff are on web pages like PureZC.  They see stuff online.  They go to Reddit, read gaming websites, and places like that.  Microsoft doesn't have to make big events to convince those people.

Why do you think Nintendo isn't doing a big event at E3 this year?  They don't have to.  They have no grand plans to discuss.  No huge hardware to show off.  All they have are games, and all they need to do is let gaming journalists do their jobs.  This is why Microsoft didn't have to show off a bunch of games at this event.  They'll be shown in the future, and whether you all are interested in the system, you'll hear about them.  I can guarantee you that.

Microsoft's not dumb.  The video game industry has changed, and there's more people to sell to than just you and me.  But regardless, the sooner you all realize that the industry has changed, the sooner you'll become less surprised and angry over stuff like this.  That doesn't mean you have to be happy about it.  There's some things Microsoft announced that I don't like.  Lots of people aren't happy with the current state of the gaming industry, and that's why Valve is making the Steambox.  But you all being surprised about all this is mostly just coming from you all not keeping up with things.  There's not one thing that Microsoft had or left out that anyone who has kept up with the gaming industry over the last few years is surprised about.

I'm not saying you shouldn't dislike the system and some of the changes made.  If you don't like the system in the end, don't buy it.  I don't have any plans to buy it.  Just don't act like Microsoft doesn't know what they're doing.  They do.

• DCEnygma, Shane and Supindahood like this

#19 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Thank you LTM, I am glad you see things Logically.  Saving me from writing a lot. lol :P

Anyways, at a reveal point.  Compare this to the Reveal of the Wii U.  Case and point.  Microsoft did a great job showing off what their plan is.  "One" stands for being the One device that controls it all.  We already know that the gamers are going to buy the XBox even without showing anything.  The presentation was for the non-gamers, the ones that will buy this because it is Hub for everything they do.  Plus, it looks to be easy to use.  It is funny because every E3 that Nintendo puts on a press conference, Nintendo fans whine because they focus on Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Music.  Because they are trying to grab non-gamers.  It is smart business.

I have always been a Nintendo Fanboy my whole life, duh.  But I think Microsoft has something here.  I can probably go on right now and say they are in the position to win the console race.  I am usually good with my predictions, I mean my Wii U prediction was pretty dead on. ;)

• DCEnygma and Shane like this

#20 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Has anyone ever thought that the X could be the 90's way to represent "Cross?"  CrossBox.  CrossBox360, and now CrossOne.

Anyway, even if they appeal to the non-gamers, there's no doubt this thing is going to be expensive, which will probably make it not sell as well as it could if the price was lower, even to the people who happen to want the "all in one" aspect of it (which, by the way, the PC easily does and has been doing for quite some time now).  Consoles seem to run into that problem a lot though, regarding price.  Start out expensive, find out it's not working so great, then go into a price drop.

#21 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

More info: http://www.shacknews...s-on-connection

Fee for used games disputed by Xbox Support itself, but not sure how accurate the "mandatory harddrive install" part is, but with 500GB of space, that doesn't seem like it'll be a problem. Of course, this will need to be followed by more details, but at least the fee to play used games is gone.

#22 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

More info: http://www.shacknews...s-on-connection

Fee for used games disputed by Xbox Support itself, but not sure how accurate the "mandatory harddrive install" part is, but with 500GB of space, that doesn't seem like it'll be a problem. Of course, this will need to be followed by more details, but at least the fee to play used games is gone.

500 GB....is nothing compared to the file size of these games.  Doesn't one game alone exist somewhere between 20-40 GB?  10 of those, and you're already halfway/almost maxed out.

#23 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Well, I don't think Microsoft has released the final specs and models.  I wouldn't be surprised if they maybe add another tier with maybe 1TB of space.  That, or allow people to add space somehow.

#24 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

That, or allow people to add space somehow.

Yeah right maybe through flash drives ;P

I'm sure they won't let you upgrade the hard drive space unless you want to void your warranty some how.

#25 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

Yeah right maybe through flash drives ;P

I'm sure they won't let you upgrade the hard drive space unless you want to void your warranty some how.

Well, I was thinking of USB3 external hard drives, but yeah. :P

#26 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

Oh yeah I did forgot that it will have 3.0 USB slots on the thing, I guess you might be able to use external hard drives.

But it all really depends on what the system OS supports.

#27 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

Unlike the Wii U, the speed of USB Hard Drives will be much better on the Xbox ONE primarily because it uses USB 3.0. There shouldn't be any performance issues of some kind. Having external storage does have advantages such as easily accessing your own videos, music, and pictures from your console and onto your PC. for its portability, and most importantly, no more paying a crap ton of cash for MS's proprietary hard drives like they did with the 360. 

#28 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

Why do they call it the XBox One?

• They call it the XBox One because when you see it, you turn around one pi radians and walk away.
  • They call it the XBox One because it's 1/360th as good as the 360.
  • They call it the XBox One because it's the One XBox to rule them all and therefore is evil and can only be destroyed if you drop it back into the fiery pit where it was forged.
  • They call it the XBox One because one play is all you need to know it's terrible.
  • They call it the XBox One because only one person actually cares.

This is so much easier to do than with the 360. Prejudging consoles as soon as they're announced is pretty fun. Because god forbid we actually wait and see how the final product turns out...:P

Typically I judge my consoles based on two things:

• Does it play games?
  • Does it have any games that I'd want to play?

The XBox One so far seems to be a "Sorta" on the first one and a "Probably not" on the second one. I'd still like to wait until the thing's actually in stores before I pass a final judgement on it, though.

• Russ likes this

#29 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

Oh yeah I did forgot that it will have 3.0 USB slots on the thing, I guess you might be able to use external hard drives.

But it all really depends on what the system OS supports.

Yeah.  The good thing is that firmware is upgradable.  If for some reason this isn't allowed on launch, if enough people run out of space and complain about it, Microsoft will probably figure out an alternative.  This is what happened to Nintendo with the Wii.  It originally had a small amount of space, and SD cards couldn't be used to house games.  They finally came up with a (crappy) solution, but it was a solution nonetheless.

#30 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

There is a topic in the forums of Mod The Sims that deals with EA partnering with Microsoft.

http://www.modthesim...ad.php?t=503582

You might want to give it a good reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users