Pokémon X and Y

• Please log in to reply
832 replies to this topic

#31 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 8 2013, 10:35 AM) View Post
Oh hey, it's a Pokemon based on a fennec fox.

...Well now I feel stupid for not noticing that... But on the flip side, that only solidifies my choice of the fire starter. icon_deformed.gif (No I don't absolutely love fennec foxes. What're you talking about? O: )

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Jan 8 2013, 10:39 AM) View Post
A little off subject, but doesn't the engine remind you too much of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn's engine?

No...? That thought didn't even cross my mind looking at this.

#32 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE(Koh @ Jan 8 2013, 07:15 AM) View Post

*brings the vid to the new page for newcomers*
I just noticed...what's up with the fire starter's ears? It looks like...it has a forest growing in there, what the heck? How can it actually hear anything?

#33 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(SpacemanDan @ Jan 8 2013, 07:40 AM) View Post

...Well now I feel stupid for not noticing that... But on the flip side, that only solidifies my choice of the fire starter. icon_deformed.gif (No I don't absolutely love fennec foxes. What're you talking about? O: )

The fact that it's named Fennekin didn't clue you in? icon_razz.gif But yeah, I'm a big fan of fennecs myself, so I'm kinda biased towards him right from the start. I still think they coulda pulled off a fennec Pokemon better though, but eh. I'll take a fennec over a chestnut and a frog.

#34 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 8 2013, 10:49 AM) View Post

The fact that it's named Fennekin didn't clue you in? icon_razz.gif But yeah, I'm a big fan of fennecs myself, so I'm kinda biased towards him right from the start. I still think they coulda pulled off a fennec Pokemon better though, but eh. I'll take a fennec over a chestnut and a frog.

Well....What about the fact that the games are called X and Y didn't clue you in on the legendaries shapes right away?! ):<

*Kidding*

I wasn't paying attention to the names admittedly. icon_sweat.gif Plus I only kinda skimmed through the video...

#35 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 8 2013, 09:35 AM) View Post

I'm kinda getting the same feeling I got from Oshawott initially. "Oh hey, it's a Pokemon based on a fennec fox. That's really cool! ... except it doesn't look that good." Then again, Oshawott got an awesome evolution,

russ i mean no disrespect and i like you a lot but HOW IN THE HELL CAN A PERSON BE SO WRONG AND BACKWARDS ABOUT EVERYTHING

Anyway, omg a new Pokémon game in full 3D!!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. The areas look really pretty and the cities actually feel citylike! I like.

The fox is definitely gonna be my pick because fluffy! The frog is okay I guess. I don't like the grass one's big bucktooth; it looks a bit silly. D:

The legendaries are kinda gross looking, as is the usual for Pokémon gens past Gen 2.

#36 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Pokemon is dead to me. Well it was actually dead when they named an antagonist after a letter of the alphabet (and a rather mediocre one at that), but now it's deader than dead. I dunno, I was really hoping it would make the leap into full 3D a little better than this for the main series. Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness looked so much better than this and that was released seven years ago on a graphically inferior system. Why do the character models look like those of a regular DS game? Why the cell shading (which only Wind Waker and Okami ever did right IMO)? Why do battles still take place on little floating discs? Why is the main character's head still almost as big as his body? How could they do this so wrong!?

0/10. Never again.

#37 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(Rambly @ Jan 8 2013, 07:57 AM) View Post

russ i mean no disrespect and i like you a lot but HOW IN THE HELL CAN A PERSON BE SO WRONG AND BACKWARDS ABOUT EVERYTHING

How can you not like this?

IPB Image

For the record though, since I can see how my post could be misunderstood, Samurott is pretty horrible, and I've kept both Dewott's I've raised from evolving because samurai otter > what the heck sea lion.

#38 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Jan 8 2013, 10:58 AM) View Post

Why is the main character's head still almost as big as his body? Why do battles still take place on little floating discs?

Well obviously they're keeping the same chibi style icon_razz.gif.

Edited by Koh, 08 January 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#39 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE(Koh @ Jan 8 2013, 11:13 AM) View Post

Well obviously they're keeping the same chibi style icon_razz.gif.

Chibi doesn't work in 3D. The 2D games used it because of sprite limitations and for the sake of consistency. Since they clearly want to change up the formula now, there's no need to have chibi models.

#40 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I was actually expecting the engine to be a lot better than this. It looks and feels like its possible to put a game with this kind of graphics on the original DS.

#41 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 8 2013, 09:03 AM) View Post

IPB Image

For the record though, since I can see how my post could be misunderstood, Samurott is pretty horrible, and I've kept both Dewott's I've raised from evolving because samurai otter > what the heck sea lion.

Gangnam Otter was probably the best of the gen 5 starters. At least until it fully evolved. That said, I'll probably wait until we have more information about Gen 6 before I can make any judgments on it.

#42 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

While I love that they are finally bringing the Pokemon world into 3D, I don't really like the look of the new Pokemon. (This happens with every new gen) They just look... to put it in simple terms, not like Pokemon. Now when Black and White were first announced, I didn't like the Pokemon they showed. But I grew to them, Now, Pokemon Black is my favorite Pokemon game, (Besides Pokemon Blue. NOTHING can beat the classics).

I don't think the look of the Pokemon are going to ruin the experience, but I am just not a fan of the new starters, or the, what appears to be legendaries. The grass and fire starters look okay. They're really cute. But that damn frog thing. Just.....eww.

QUOTE(Shane @ Jan 8 2013, 10:19 AM) View Post

This isn't fanboyism

Fanboyism isn't a word. I believe you are looking for the word fanaticism. (?)

I'm sorry if I look like a snob there. It's just that I learned that word in 7th grade history icon_razz.gif

Edited by Keiichi123, 08 January 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#43 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Finally, Pokemon has gone into 3D, and has moved off of the DS (Which probably will be discontinued with Pokemon no longer making games for it)

I like the look of overworld travel, and the battles, and the new starters look okay, but I can't really judge it until more is seen, although Pokemon X and Y is the stupidest Pokemon name I have heard, ever.

That doesn't mean it'll be bad, though.

#44 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 8 2013, 10:35 AM) View Post
So. Let's start the guessing game. Will these games deviate from the formula a bit, or are they gonna fall back into the 8 gym leaders, evil team that gets beaten before the end, Elite Four and Champion rut.

Hoping for the former, we're probably getting the latter.

But this is a case where I'll make an exception and say "Who cares?" Maybe that's shallow, but I'm kind of interested in this game for the sole reason that it's made a transition into full 3D. My only concerns are that battles will take too long to transition into or out of, and that some animations will take too long to complete (kind of like a few in Pokémon Stadium), but mostly I think it'll be fine. And hey, it's almost like Pokémon Stadium the way the battles are set up, so it's almost like two games in one! Okay no so it's just Pokémon with Stadium battles.

I want to see how this turns out, just to see the new leap forward in play style. I do agree in that the graphics ought to be, well, better, but I'm sure they'll look better on the 3DS than in trailers; that's how it always ends up. And I do agree that Pokémon should follow you, that was an excellent mechanic so why did they take it out?! ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
QUOTE(Moosh @ Jan 8 2013, 10:58 AM) View Post
Why the cell shading (which only Wind Waker and Okami ever did right IMO)?

Someone hasn't played the 2008 Prince of Persia. >.>
QUOTE(Evan20000 @ Jan 8 2013, 12:17 PM) View Post
Gangnam Otter

Evan pls go

#45 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 8 2013, 10:03 AM) View Post

Okay, phew, I am okay with Samurai Otter! Samurott is actually who I had in mind when I read your post. :x Samurott is awful! It looks nothing like its pre-evos! And why is his beard a mustache I don't understand why his beard is literally another mustache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users