Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

HOLY CRAP! You're right.

#32 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

You know, if there's one gripe I truly have, it's that everything is coming out so stereotypically, like Bryan and Michael have to go to TVTropes to make their characters. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bolin is your standard comedic relief who sucks at everything he tries to do and probably won't be redeemed by the end of the series, Mako is the stereotypical SERIOUS BROODY character that makes him apparently attractive, and Korra is the stereotypical Action Girl fallen for him. But this is just speculation. It's still a really good show, I'm just disappointed by some of what I've seen.

#33 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

I'll admit they kinda recycled the character concepts... just a little.

Bolin is the new Sokka
Mako is the new Zuko
Pabu is the new Momo
Naga is the new Appa

But really, it ends there. There will always be stereotypical characters in every series. The only reason we don't think of the Mane 6 ponies as stereotypical is because we're not used to the romance archetypes they're based on.

Remember that tropes are not good nor bad. Tropes are tools.

#34 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Gonna go ahead and put this in spoiler.

Spoiler

Edited by Keiichi123, 28 April 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#35 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Saw today's new episode. Calling it now, Soto's a villain.

Reasoning? Look at the hood decorations for all of the vehicles he makes. It looks like a pissed-off frowning face. Little goofy, perhaps, but enough to make me call villain.

I am a little depressed that my earlier prediction, about Korra's Avatar business getting in the way of the sports team and causing problems, seems to be right. Parts of this seem a bit too cliche, to be honest. Still pretty good though.

I did miss episode 3 (last week's episode). Wasn't anything too important, was it?

#36 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Apr 28 2012, 07:00 PM) View Post

Spoiler

Spoiler

QUOTE(kurt91 @ Apr 28 2012, 07:00 PM) View Post

Saw today's new episode. Calling it now, Soto's a villain.

I sure hope his daughter isn't though. She could be... but I want her and Mako's relationship to work.

I am a little depressed that my earlier prediction, about Korra's Avatar business getting in the way of the sports team and causing problems, seems to be right. Parts of this seem a bit too cliche, to be honest.

Eh, they didn't make a big deal out of it, at least. So that's good.

I did miss episode 3 (last week's episode). Wasn't anything too important, was it?

Pretty much just the revelation that Amon/Amand/however you spell his name can take away people's bending. And Korra and Mako saved Bow-lin (spelling?) from him.

So early 1900s New York feel the series has is really starting to grow on me. I still like the original series's setting better, but this has it's charm to it. The radio music and all that, something about it's just kinda cool.

#37 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Apr 28 2012, 10:01 PM) View Post

So early 1900s New York feel the series has is really starting to grow on me. I still like the original series's setting better, but this has it's charm to it. The radio music and all that, something about it's just kinda cool.

I really like it too. I thought I was going to hate it since I liked the Rustic old time feel the original series had. But, I actually think it's really cool. It's taking a lot from early American culture which I would very much prefer Asian culture. Republic City is pretty much a fictional version of New York City and instead of the stature of liberty, they have a stature of Aang.

#38 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

Well damn...this episode is kind of predictable but it's still breaking my heart...

Here's hoping they pull off some interesting twist at the end like they have the last few episodes...

Edited by DavidReinold, 05 May 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#39 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

Well, watching that was a bit of an emotional roller coaster. Call me crazy, but I really wanna see Korra with Bolin and Mako with Asami. Not sure what's gonna happen now though...

#40 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

Yeah, I'm shipping Bolin and Korra together. It'd be nice to see the comedic relief end up with the action girl, rather than it always be the same way it's always been- the guy who ignores and demeans her.

#41 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Just saw the third episode yesterday. And I gotta say, it was awesome. The part with explaining the childhood made my insides well up a bit. Too bad I couldn't cry in front of my friend. xD

And I have a thing for Mako...icon_heh.gif

;D

Edited by Jared, 05 May 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#42 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ May 5 2012, 07:22 PM) View Post
And I have a thing for Mako...icon_heh.gif
BACK OFF HE'S MINE.

Er, I mean...he's Asami's. Right. Asami's. That's exactly what I meant to say.

Edited by DavidReinold, 05 May 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#43 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

I just saw Episode 5. Looking forward to seeing those Ravenwolf (Forgot their name already. icon_sweat.gif ) plays. I love a good boss battle.

#44 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

Interesting love triangles going on.

Am I the only one who laughed- and showed no other emotion- at that episode?

#45 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

When Bolin was crying, I was just laughing. I didn't take this episode to seriously. The way they drew Bolin bawling his eyes out just looked hilarious icon_razz.gif

Edited by Keiichi123, 05 May 2012 - 09:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users