• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#16 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Watching the premier now.

I like it so far. It still has that quirky funny moments that the original series has .It seems a little more serious, but it still has that avatar charm to it. The first episode already has me caring for these new characters. I just cant wait till the anonymous villain guys make an appearance. They seem so badass.

And yes, Tenzin, (Aang's son) interacting with Korra, (A reincarnation of Aang himself) is a little weird and hard to explain. That means Korra is technically Tenzin's father...or mother... I don't get it...

#17 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Well, the Avatar reincarnates after every death as another Avatar, but usually as the next element in the cycle. It's Air -> Water -> Earth -> Fire -> Air again I think. Aang was a Fire Master before he was reborn as Aang, and now he's the Water bender Korra. So it's not that Korra is Tenzin's father, it's that the Avatar happened to be reborn as Korra. I don't know if the Avatar's soul can choose who they incarnate as, but if it's a line of descendants, then so be it.

#18 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Guess what show is great? This show is great.

First episode was pretty fantastic. Looked amazing in HD. 'I'M THE AVATAR; YOU GOTTA DEAL WITH IT!'
Spoiler

#19 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(DashSim @ Apr 15 2012, 07:51 AM) View Post

Spoiler

Spoiler

Anyways, I'm a bit torn with the series. It started out so reminiscent of the first, then quickly turned into something radically different. It's not that it's bad, it's just so different... I'm thinking so far, I like the original series better, although this is definitely still amazing. The more modern spin they're giving everything just doesn't appeal to me as much. Not that it's not interesting; seeing how all this stuff works in the Avatar world is interesting. Just different.

On that note, how is it that all this technology developed so quickly? In the course of 100 years between Aang being frozen and being thawed out, technology remained nearly constant, and yet in the next 70 years or so, it's grown exponentially.

#20 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Apr 15 2012, 07:13 PM) View Post
On that note, how is it that all this technology developed so quickly? In the course of 100 years between Aang being frozen and being thawed out, technology remained nearly constant, and yet in the next 70 years or so, it's grown exponentially.
It's supposed to be reminiscent of the second industrial revolution (Last Airbender was like the mid 1800s while Legend of Korra is 1920s or so). That period of time when, after a whole lot of nothing, everything started happening at once. It's actually very accurate to what happened in the real world

#21 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

Well to be fair, they had airships in the original series, and the Fire Nation entered an era of peace, and was very likely able to share that technology. I'm not surprised that technology went so far so quickly. Other technologies can be adapted into even more technology, and war-time technology, which needs to be developed pretty quickly, has many of the same working parts as the rest of the technology seen in what is currently Korra's days.

Besides, we have no idea what the more neutral areas of the world were doing at this point. It wouldn't be too deus ex machina to assume that there were some areas of the world that we didn't see during our journeys through Airbender, right? icon_shrug.gif

#22 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

You know, I didn't really like the Avatar: The Last Airbender you know the first series. but I just watched one episode of this new show this morning. and amazingly I didn't find my self bored out of my skull.
so far so good, I just might start watching this.

#23 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Apr 15 2012, 06:13 PM) View Post
Steampunk was already present in the original series. Also Firebending, Lightningbending, and Metalbending are VERY beneficial to the advance of technology. Waterbending helps, but only with the assistance of the others which (guess what?) happened.

Peace and Cooperation also brought about a lot of the change. While war promotes the advance of technology (which it did with the war balloons and tanks- which weren't around before the 100 year gap), it only enhances war machines and cryptography. When people cooperated and combined the strengths of the elements and bending started being used as a tool, it made technology boom.

Or you could explain it as a fantasy convention. Magic and its many variants typically bring about a faster advance of technology. Take Fullmetal Alchemist for instance: automail exists there even though its equivalent hasn't been invented in our world.

#24 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Bit late on it, but finally got around to watching the new series. I like the idea to it, but I'm a bit worried about what it's leading up to. Honestly, I think that what they've gotten set up is going to lead into too many cliches. For instance, Korra being on a sports-type team is screaming at me that they're going to use that cliched storyline where the team's going to be angry with her because her duties won't leave her time for the sport and she'll cause the team to forfeit an important game or something. I really hope that they don't get lazy and take that route for the series, though.

Have they already released more than just the first two episodes, though? I looked at the TV Tropes page on it before watching the show, and realized that it was getting into details that weren't on TV. For example, they claim that somebody's going to get the idea of using electricity on the metalbending police because they use metal cords to tie up criminals. That wasn't on the show at all.

#25 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

Interesting trivia: Korra was originally going to be a guy, but they genderflipped her early in preproduction. This explains why she isn't defined by any femininity whatsoever- like most action girls.

#26 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(kurt91 @ Apr 16 2012, 04:35 PM) View Post

For example, they claim that somebody's going to get the idea of using electricity on the metalbending police because they use metal cords to tie up criminals. That wasn't on the show at all.

They showed something kinda like that on the commercial after the premier, I think. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if a few episodes had been leaking onto the internet.

QUOTE(Beefster @ Apr 16 2012, 04:53 PM) View Post

Interesting trivia: Korra was originally going to be a guy, but they genderflipped her early in preproduction. This explains why she isn't defined by any femininity whatsoever- like most action girls.

I dunno, I'm chalking it more up to her personality. Not all girls have to be girly, ya know. Remember Kyoshi? She doesn't exactly strike me as a very feminine woman.

#27 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

I prefer action girls that aren't girly.

On the other hand, Katara was a pretty awesome action girl herself, and she had her girly moments.
Toph wasn't feminine except in one filler episode (Toph was also originally going to be male).
Suki isn't very girly either.

Probably the girliest of all the action girls was Ty Lee.

Man! The Avatar world has the best action girls of any other series.

#28 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Well. After today's episode, I think the worries about it falling into a generic storyline had been crushed. I was really worried at first, seemed like a typical "Oh no, they need money, he's gonna mix with the wrong crowd to get it." And then suddenly, enter Amon. And that leads to a whole bunch of stuff I'll put in spoilers.

Spoiler

#29 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

Yeah after this weeks episode, there was alot of speculation going on in my head.

Spoiler

I'm beggining to love this show more and more each episode. I also love the hole idea of the anti bending group that is the equalist. So many mysteries lie in this semi secret society...

Edited by Keiichi123, 21 April 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#30 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

I'm disappointed in myself. It took me until this week's episode to realize that Tenzen is voiced by Cave Johnson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users