• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:28 PM

I have a lot of the same problems. I nearly spend 30 minutes on one screen, and that gets frutrating, not to mention I'm using the map from LoZ to make it. Also, I'm putting winter as the setting, but my desert looks weird in winter, so how can i make the desert different? I think that too much detail isn't necessary sometimes...

#17 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE(IceFox @ Feb 24 2006, 06:28 PM)
I have a lot of the same problems.  I nearly spend 30 minutes on one screen, and that gets frutrating, not to mention I'm using the map from LoZ to make it.  Also, I'm putting winter as the setting, but my desert looks weird in winter, so how can i make the desert different?  I think that too much detail isn't necessary sometimes...

View Post

Hm. IMHO, ... put a few lines of snow on your sand. Make the parts under the ridges a shaded white to indicate snow drifts caught in the sand. Just because it's a desert doesn't mean it can't snow there. icon_razz.gif

You can freeze little lakes over, make little ice puddles, put snow all over boulders and assorted cacti, etc. You're right though, deserts don't need as much visual detail as in everything else. However, it's still CRITICAL to have a good midi for the mood. Without that midi, you may as well be walking through one long boring hallway.

#18 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:39 PM

user posted image
I'm teh new show-off!

I bet I inmproved right?

you can see my new screens at the official screenshot thread just to tel u

Edited by XdragonSB, 01 March 2006 - 10:40 PM.

#19 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:26 PM

yes, a lot better. icon_razz.gif

I like that picture, Adventure Tileset right? Anyways, you are on the right track now, I will take a look at your screenshot thread also.

#20 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:27 AM

Yes, it does look a whole lot better to me. I think you could put one or two slightly altered floor tiles down to spice up the shot even more. At least, that's what I'd do, but nobody cares about my quest styling... Again, though, this is better. icon_thumbsup.gif

#21 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:31 AM

Well... For Pure-styled tilesets...

Overworld:
- Mix up the trees. I can't stress this one enough... Using only one type of tree throughout the quest gets REALLY boring.
- Vary your flower colors. This is also another big problem.
- Don't clump in too much detail. Some looks alright, but having every tile as a flower or something gets really old.

Dungeon:
- Floor borders. These are really important in many quests... as dungeons look much less sloppy with them.
- NEVER make all square (or rectangular, in ZC's case <_<) rooms. They're boring.
- Use some off-center doorways, and maybe even some "long" doorways. (Where you enter the doorway before the end of the screen, and walk under some ceiling.)
- Don't forget your wall decorations.

These are just some pretty basic tips, though...

#22 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE(XdragonSB @ Mar 1 2006, 07:39 PM)
user posted image
I'm teh new show-off!

I bet I inmproved right?

you can see my new screens at the official screenshot thread just to tel u

View Post

Its better than most of the stuff youve made, but could still use some "sparkle", as in maybe some more floor tiles, I really dont like the color you used for the 1st level celing... make it the same color as the rocks its touching! And the doors on the sides are just awful, although thats more the adventures fault than anyones... a quick edit to at least make the rocks look like they are moved should make this all better.

#23 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:10 AM

And the doors on the sides are just awful, although thats more the adventures fault than anyones... a quick edit to at least make the rocks look like they are moved should make this all better.
Oddly enough, those are the Adventure Set's dilemma as well. HOWEVER, those were originally meant to be the holes which the floortraps came out of. Xdragon was just being creative (Or ignorant.) with their purpose. icon_razz.gif

#24 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(BH4 @ Feb 26 2006, 09:27 AM)
Hm.  IMHO, ... put a few lines of snow on your sand.  Make the parts under the ridges a shaded white to indicate snow drifts caught in the sand.  Just because it's a desert doesn't mean it can't snow there. icon_razz.gif

You can freeze little lakes over, make little ice puddles, put snow all over boulders and assorted cacti, etc.  You're right though, deserts don't need as much visual detail as in everything else.  However, it's still CRITICAL to have a good midi for the mood.  Without that midi, you may as well be walking through one long boring hallway.

View Post

Well, I'm using Cloudtops from Minish Cap for the overworld... I mean, Yeah, I'm trying to make it so its not just the overworld from LoZ, but that it has been ravashed and destroyed, so that some parts of it won't be accesible til later. I don't want to use Gerudo's Desert from OoT in this game, its too overly used. I was thinking World of Ruin overworld from FFVI would be cool (at least after you get the airship there) and hey, an idea, a dungeon that's in an airship, whew, my mind just pops ideas quickly. Also, how do you do layering so trees don't have a black backround?

#25 Love For Fire

Love For Fire

Adept

• Members

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:05 PM

It doesn't seem like anyone wants to collaborate with me, so I'm just going to try this for myself. I read the posts in this thread to help get me started with better overworld design. I'd appreciate ANY feedback on how to make this better, since I know it's going to need improvement.

user posted image
This is where Link starts in the strange land. The bed of flowers breaks his fall from the sky, kinda like Cloud from FF7 after the Air Buster fight.

And is there anyway I can get "Life" to appear on the top of Link's hearts?

#26 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:17 AM

Hmm... how did you put those winds in the picture? Also, how come sometimes I feel like i'm using too much detail on each screen?

#27 Skipper

Skipper

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(IceFox @ Mar 4 2006, 12:17 AM)
Hmm...  how did you put those winds in the picture?

View Post

The DoR tileset has them. I'm sure of it.
And Icedragon, not trying to rent-a-mod, but I believe that you should of probably posted the screenshot in the Official screenshot thread. And, what happened to the little swirles (Circles) on the big tree? Is it meant to look like that on purpose?
And, I don't think LITTLE flowers would cushion his fall. Try using those cuttable flowers, making them un-solid.
And, XdragonSB, your screenshots look stupendouse. In otherwords, awesome.

#28 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

Um... how can I make my 2nd level (Titan's Sunken Shrine) look more realistic? I've put armos in plenty rooms (representing titans) and put spots of water (plenty randomly placed) just to make it actually look sunken. But how could I make it look torn apart? Oh, and I have blocks randomly placed as well. I was thinking I could put in some waterfalls hanging in from the walls or something...

#29 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

Ice, show us some shots first. We can't really help you without a shot..

Also, try to edit the tiles so they look "fall apart", like you want it too. icon_wink.gif

#30 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

Well, umm... I can't send screenshots... icon_sweat.gif I can't access imageshack or anything like that... icon_sweat.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users