51 replies to this topic

#16 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Apr 7 2007, 08:14 PM) View Post

Daiv, I hate to break it to you (and I'll edit this post if it is flaming), but your spritework sucks. Period. It sucks possibly worse than Dlbrook's tiles, and he can't even recolor tiles properly. The only people who actually like your work are completely blind. Perhaps if you actually attempted to get better, your work wouldn't make our eyes bleed. The only time when you shouldn't use a black outline is when you are good enough with color to give the illusion of a seperation from the rest of the environment, which you are not. If you aren't ready to ditch the black outline, then it's perfectly okay to have one. That's it.

So is putting someone down your way of trying to motivate them to do better? Shame on you, Revman.

#17 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:55 PM

Off-topic: Daiv, I kinda have to agree with Revfan a bit in saying that some of your tiles look weird. I've technically only seen the Link tiles, and they DO look a bit weird (not that it's a bad thing icon_wink.gif ). But I DON'T agree with how rude he is. Best thing is to just ignore him when he does that- He does the same for screenshots in the screenshot thread. If he doesn't like a pic, he gives a harsh criticism for it. Shame on you, Revfan. Tsk tsk tsk.

On-topic: I actually like the most recent "letter" you showed. I wish I was that good at custom stuff. XD But sadly, it seems I'm only good at recolors.... (Want proof/backup? Ask Moony. icon_razz.gif) Say, here's a suggestion: Why don't you try spriting a Star Piece from Paper Mario using the same style you used on the letter? icon_wink.gif Or... or... Yeah, why don't ya try spriting a Goomba? GOOOOOOOMMMMMBAAAAAAAA.... XD Nah, just joking about the Goomba. icon_wink.gif

#18 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:02 AM

Shame on you, Revfan. Tsk tsk tsk.

Hey, there's no shame in being a graphics whore. Revfan's in good company. icon_love.gif

#19 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:11 AM

There's shame in going all out to insult a person because of their graphics style or insulting every part of a piece of work.

#20 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:14 AM

I wouldn't consider that an insult. Revfan was being honest, and I completely agree with him. He got warned for flaming anyway, so there's no need to argue the point further. Let's get back on topic now. icon_wink.gif

#21 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:24 AM

Well, to finally get back on topic, I took Matthew's advice and tried to draw a star peice.

IPB Image

But I think there is too much contrast between the top half and the bottom half. Eh?

#22 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:31 AM

Not at all. I think the contrast is nigh perfect. The way the object is angled, the top gets direct light while the bottem gets almost no light. The high contrast is fitting.

#23 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:31 AM

High contrast is generally a good technique, especially in small sprites where if the colors are too similar you won't be able to make out the features at all.

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 08 April 2007 - 12:33 AM.

#24 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:55 AM

Heh. Okay. I'll remember that. This isn't meant to be used in ZC, but out of boredom...

IPB Image

I don't know what that is, but it's staring at us...

EDIT: Also, a thingy:

IPB Image

Edited by Revfan9, 08 April 2007 - 01:26 AM.

#25 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:14 AM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Apr 8 2007, 02:14 AM) View Post
Daiv, I hate to break it to you (and I'll edit this post if it is flaming), but your spritework sucks. Period. It sucks possibly worse than Dlbrook's tiles, and he can't even recolor tiles properly. The only people who actually like your work are completely blind. Perhaps if you actually attempted to get better, your work wouldn't make our eyes bleed. The only time when you shouldn't use a black outline is when you are good enough with color to give the illusion of a seperation from the rest of the environment, which you are not. If you aren't ready to ditch the black outline, then it's perfectly okay to have one. That's it.

I'm guessing that I am completely blind then icon_sweat.gif

#26 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:41 AM

Your first letter looked good and I liked the star piece, you should try doing a/the cyrstal stars

#27 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:23 AM

Well, out of boredom, I drew some wealth medals. I was going to do the traditional circle with a symbol on it, but then I thought "Do something different!"

IPB Image

#28 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE(limzo)
I'm guessing that I am completely blind then
Thanks for standing up for me.

But, dude, let's put all this crap behind us. The wealth medals look pretty good (LINK WITH BLING OMGISH!)

Something just doesn't feel right about the star tho'. I'm not sure, but it looks like the middle points are shorter than the rest. icon_shrug.gif I dunno.

God bless, Rev,
Daiv

#29 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:41 AM

Davi- Your spritework does need some work. Most peoples do. However you should actually go out and try to improve your style and try to get better instead of just living in a self-satisfying bubble.

Revfan, while at the end of that post I completely agree, you kinda over-did the begining. Hell, I've seen much worse tiles than his, and in all honesty most people arent much better than Daiv when they start, they just dont submit their works. Also just out of curosity how many posts do you start with some variation of "I was bored so..." icon_lol.gif

Sprites arent half-bad though, and its nice to see your actually doing custom work instead of just ripping. You should actually try creating sprites that can be used in a standard Zc quest instead of just random things that dont fit in with anything. Good luck.

#30 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Apr 8 2007, 01:23 PM) View Post
Well, out of boredom, I drew some wealth medals. I was going to do the traditional circle with a symbol on it, but then I thought "Do something different!"

IPB Image

Cool! Link iz pimpin' in all dat bling gear mon!

Now, in all seriousness, what happened to the line on the first medal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users