Recording Old Windows Games?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Is it even possible? I'm talking like, the really old games that used Direct Draw featured from Direct X 3.0 or lower or something. Like I tried recording said games with Hyper Cam 3, Microsoft Expression 4, CamStudio and Bandicam, but none of them pick up any video. They get the sounds, but where the game is supposed to be, there's just a black rectangle, and I figure it's something to do with the old Direct X. But is there anything out there that can record these old beasts?

#2 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

I believe that DosBox does have a recording feature built into the emulator, so recording is possible through the program.

#3 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(Linkus @ Mar 23 2013, 05:08 PM) View Post

I believe that DosBox does have a recording feature built into the emulator, so recording is possible through the program.

It told me that the game must be run in Windows...so I'm assuming either I didn't run it properly, or DoSBOX just can't run this =C.

#4 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

If you click the "Target" button in the bandicam options, you can switch it to "Rectangle on the screen" instead of "DirectX/OpenGL Window" and you should be able to record just fine.

Direct Draw doesn't play nice with screen capture software that uses DirectX or OpenGL.

Edited by Sepulcher, 23 March 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#5 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

Try Fraps. There's a demo on there website you can sample.

#6 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

I second FRAPS, it is amazing and captures even hardcore gaming on your computer, even laptops with minimal computing impact! However if Fraps doesn't work, due to old DOS based stuff, then Camstudio is one of my favorites.

#7 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:03 AM

I just tried Fraps on DX-Ball, which is a DirectX 2 game and Fraps didn't work well :/ It showed a buggy FPS counter but wouldn't engage in recording when pressing the designated Record button.

Edited by franpa, 26 March 2013 - 02:04 AM.

#8 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Yeah ran into those problems too Franpa, which is why Camstudio is a good backup when FRAPS refuses to record old crap.

#9 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Mar 26 2013, 12:38 PM) View Post

Yeah ran into those problems too Franpa, which is why Camstudio is a good backup when FRAPS refuses to record old crap.

I've already tried that though, and it didn't work...same black-rectangle video with sound result.

#10 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

...Your computer is jack, get a new one. icon_razz.gif I got no ideas.

#11 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Only thing I can think of is simply using a camera, or hooking a HDD Recorder up to your computer screen if your computer screen has a video output. (Or connecting video card to HDD recorder and HDD recorder to the screen)

#12 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

You could always buy a mac koh. *shot*
Your best bet is to hook up a second monitor and buy a dazel.

Edited by LordVolcanon, 27 March 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#13 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(LordVolcanon @ Mar 27 2013, 11:32 PM) View Post

You could always buy a mac koh. *shot*

Eww, no, no Macs =P.

Well I mean it's no biggie, but I'm surprised it's so much of a hassle to do something so simple. Kinda makes me wonder how DirectDraw was actually coded in Direct X 3.0 and below, and what the hell they were thinking back then when they coded it.

#14 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

koh, did you try out what I suggested? I'm curious as to the results. It usually helps me out when I record old games.

Edited by Sepulcher, 28 March 2013 - 12:40 AM.

#15 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE(Sepulcher @ Mar 28 2013, 01:39 AM) View Post

koh, did you try out what I suggested? I'm curious as to the results. It usually helps me out when I record old games.

That was the first thing I used when I tried Bandicam, since I knew the DirectX/OpenGL recording part would definitely have not worked. It didn't work, so I tried the previous anyway which resulted as I expected. Old games are rebels, you know XD?

Edited by Koh, 28 March 2013 - 04:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users