Photo

Universal audio equalizer for Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

I have a problem that I am trying to solve, and Google is being of no help at all. icon_unsettled.gif Everybody who has asked this question simply gets useless answers that do not fully comprehend the problem.

Let's start from the beginning. I have a nice set of speakers for my computer. Now that I have a desktop, I can't use the laptop's built-in speakers, so I've hooked the big ones up to my desktop PC. These speakers include two satellite speakers and a large subwoofer.

The subwoofer is required in order for the other two speakers to work, since the satellite speakers plug directly into the subwoofer. Additionally, there is no way to turn DOWN the subwoofer. The problem is that by default, the subwoofer pumps the bass up so high that it overwhelms the rest of the audio. I have trouble listening to music at night because the bass is so loud, it carries over into the next room. I have to turn the master volume WAY down to counteract that, so low that I can hardly hear the music.

Besides, I don't WANT this much bass. Good music doesn't need a ridiculously massive bass boost; it sounds good without extra processing. Besides, I'm not ridin' dirty here. icon_razz.gif

SO... with that problem, what I need to solve it is a program that will run ALL of my audio through an equalizer, no matter WHAT program it comes from. I already have an audio player with an equalizer, but that only works for my MP3s and downloaded movie files. It doesn't affect things that don't run through the audio player, like YouTube.

I've looked for a universal equalizer that works in Windows 7, with no luck. Most of the question-and-answer forums say that Windows 7 has a built-in equalizer, but I have followed their instructions and have only found settings to control the L/R balance.

I'd greatly appreciate any program recommendations, because I'd like to keep using these otherwise high-quality speakers. icon_smile.gif Any suggestions for a fix?...

#2 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

I've been running Realtek HD Audio Manager on my laptop (XP, mind you) since I got this laptop as its sole sound driver. After I accidentally cracked the headphone jack I had to reroute the headphone input through the program so the line in on the computer. The audio manager comes with EQ settings (presets and all) and it can function in surround sound. I got it for free off of the website itself too, I found this out after I had to restore my laptop from scratch late last year when it blue screened on me.

Edited by Taco Chopper, 19 April 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#3 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

As mentioned Realtek has an audio equalizer included with there drivers as does Creative and Auzentech brand sound cards.

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Realtek's can be downloaded for free? That's great. icon_smile.gif I had heard theirs recommended, but it had sounded like it had to be paired with a specific sound card (unless that's what you're implying). I'll look into it. I don't think I have a Realtek sound card; I haven't explicitly checked yet.

#5 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:11 AM

Realtek requires a Realtek integrated sound card (If you have no dedicated sound card then you likely have this) and Auzentech/Creative equalizers require the respectively branded sound cards too.

#6 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:54 AM

Well, it looks like I have Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio, so Realtek's drivers won't do me much good. My Soundmax drivers appear to be up-to-date according to the update checker. I was unable to find a reliable website which offered anything that might contain what I want (the two websites I found that offered Soundmax software looked pretty fishy to me). There is a squatter site at http://www.soundmax.com. Dangit. icon_confused.gif

#7 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

http://www.analog.co...mation/fca.html

That and a few other places seem to indicate that you should go to your motherboard manufacturers website and search there for drivers.

#8 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE(franpa @ Apr 24 2012, 01:22 PM) View Post
http://www.analog.co...mation/fca.html

That and a few other places seem to indicate that you should go to your motherboard manufacturers website and search there for drivers.

Hmmm, okay, thanks. icon_smile.gif That implies that Soundmax is only really available as shipped with with motherboards, built-in, and that they don't have much direct contact with customers.... kinda cut-rate, but hey, I got this computer for "free" for volunteering. icon_razz.gif

I'll install the newest drivers and see what they've got.

EDIT:

Results: cryptic. No information except "download drivers here" and a bunch of version numbers, but Windows is telling me that I already have the most recent Soundmax device drivers.

As far as I can tell, if anything CAN do what I want, it's going to have to be a program which circumvents the default sound mixer and equalizes all audio before it gets there. If no one can recommend one, I guess I'll have to ask elsewhere. icon_unsettled.gif

#9 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

Drivers that are installed from Windows Update tend to lack the software you get if you were to download and install them from the manufacturers website. This was a significantly more annoying problem when Windows Update first came out in Windows 98! (Nvidia drivers lacking OpenGL drivers for instance)

Also your sound device might be just too old and came from before sound card manufacturers started bundling decent software with there products. (You'd only get drivers, nothing else)

Edited by franpa, 25 April 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#10 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(franpa @ Apr 25 2012, 04:03 AM) View Post
Drivers that are installed from Windows Update tend to lack the software you get if you were to download and install them from the manufacturers website. This was a significantly more annoying problem when Windows Update first came out in Windows 98! (Nvidia drivers lacking OpenGL drivers for instance)

Also your sound device might be just too old and came from before sound card manufacturers started bundling decent software with there products. (You'd only get drivers, nothing else)

This is quite possible. Since you can only get the drivers through the motherboard manufacturer, it might be that only drivers are available (and invalid ones, at that icon_razz.gif). I will try again. I'm frustrated that I have yet to see a non-soundcard-specific program I can use to "catch" the audio, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users