• Please log in to reply
3580 replies to this topic

#46 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE(PowerGauntlets @ May 22 2011, 12:59 AM) View Post
But that's insulting to Lauren Faust. She tries so hard to make it NOT like that.
THIS SHOW ACTUALLY HAD QUITE A BIT OF EFFORT PUT INTO IT, ACTUALLY HAS PLOT, HAS REALLY GOOD ANIMATION AND VOICE ACTORS (DESPITE THE FACT THAT TWO VOICE ACTORS COVER FOUR OF THE PROTAGONISTS), AND ULTIMATELY, IT'S FREAKING FUNNY
what is this what is happening

i... i dunno how you reached these conclusions

being pink/magical/having princesses and being good (or having a lot of effort put into it or having a plot or whatever) aren't mutually exclusive so i dunno what you're saying exactly

i probably have some pony gifs that indicates bewilderment, but alas, it is too late in the night for me to find one

#47 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE(Timothy McCorgi @ May 20 2011, 11:47 PM) View Post
Oh, hell naw.
I've seen this show infect other forums. It starts with a thread. Then the avatars come. Soon, Pony fever consumes all the members til the entire forum reads like a bunch of pretty ponies talking over tea.

Can't tell if it's a good thing.

On the otherhand, JoshSim is posting again, so the answer to that is yes. Welcome back JoshSim.

That's truly an unsettling image. I would have to surmise that after that point, everything goes downhill until we become a grim pony dystopia. I imagine it'd be something like this:

QUOTE(JoshSim @ May 21 2011, 08:51 PM) View Post

and so all the internet will be ponified, and i will rule it all

and you will all look up at me, high upon my throne of rainbows and candy, and say

joshsim

you...

are the prettiest pony
also let's have tea

Ahhh, but before you can claim that lofty title of "prettiest pony," you must subdue all other contenders who would have that honor, defeating every last one of them in mortal pony combat.

QUOTE(Timothy McCorgi @ May 20 2011, 11:47 PM) View Post
Everyone should see it. The main character is a talking purple Unicorn named Twilight Sparkle who has been tasked by a Princess Pony to learn about the value of friendship, which is also magic. What about that is not intrinsically appealing to absolutely everyone? Aside from losers, I mean.

The only thing that sounds out of place there is the word "twilight." That makes it sound like a Mary Sue fanfic.

Sidenote: Rainbow Dash sounds like a kickass Mario Kart power-up. icon_biggrin.gif

#48 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 22 2011, 03:22 AM) View Post
Sidenote: Rainbow Dash sounds like a kickass Mario Kart power-up. icon_biggrin.gif

Sig'd.

Okay, so let's run through the basics for all the fillies here.

IPB Image
Twilight Sparkle - Unicorn
Skilled in magic. Former resident of Canterlot. Student of Princess Celestia.
Character flaws: Hates being distracted from studies, prefers reading reference texts to meeting new ponies.
Element of Harmony: Magic
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

IPB Image
Applejack - Earth Pony
Tends to Sweet Apple Acres, Ponyville's apple orchard. Diligent and determined.
Character flaws: Stubborn; hates accepting help. Often puts her pride before her own well-being
Element of Harmony: Honesty
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

IPB Image
Fluttershy - Pegasus
Cares for wild animals. Often portrayed as kind and gentle, though a bit reclusive around other ponies. Known to go psychopathic/jigsaw on stuff when something has gone too far (this is seen in episodes 7, 17, and 26). LITERAL drop-out of Cloudsdale, the Pegasus post-secondary school.
Character flaws: Does not fare well socially. Apparently not capable of speaking in an 'outdoor voice'.
Element of Harmony: Kindness

IPB Image
Rainbow Dash - Pegasus
An ambitious (and, one could argue, pretentious) Pegasus who strives to one day join the Wonderbolts, an elite flying team. A dropout from the Pegasus post-secondary school, Cloudsdale. Extremely boyish - easily bored by anything considered 'girly' (similar to Applejack in this respect). The only Pegasus capable of a Sonic Rainboom, a recurring plot device from episode 16 onward.
Character flaws: Naïve, pretentious, and often tactless.
Element of Harmony: Loyalty

IPB Image
Pinkie Pie - Earth Pony
A professional party-thrower (that's a concept?). Makes a point to know every pony in Ponyville, and when she realizes Twilight is new in town, makes a point to throw a welcome party. Was raised on an Amish Rock Farm (no, seriously). One year younger than Fluttershy. Has a pet alligator named Gummy.
Character flaws: Not very good at expressing thoughts - often just does stuff without explaining why.
Element of Harmony: Laughter

IPB Image
Rarity - Unicorn
Though less skilled in magic than Twilight, she finds ways to use magic to assist in her line of work. Aesthetically inclined, spends most of her time constructing apparel.
Character flaws: Immodest, tactless.
Element of Harmony: Generosity

With that said, I think I will take a break.

Edited by PowerGauntlets, 22 May 2011 - 08:11 AM.

#49 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 22 2011, 04:22 AM) View Post
Ahhh, but before you can claim that lofty title of "prettiest pony," you must subdue all other contenders who would have that honor, defeating every last one of them in mortal pony combat.
I have no idea what Mortal Pony Combat is, but I bet it's somehow adorable.

#50 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:59 AM

Haha, thank you, PowerGauntlets, for that extensive and incriminating cache of information. icon_wink.gif

The first thing I notice is that Twilight Sparkle's hair looks almost identical to that of Stocking, a character from... er... a particular anime which I am hesitant to refer to by name, even though the art style is quite similar to the team that did MLP:FiM.

And thank you; I will enjoy occupying your sig. I promise not to make a mess. icon_wink.gif

QUOTE(JoshSim @ May 22 2011, 07:33 AM) View Post
I have no idea what Mortal Pony Combat is, but I bet it's somehow adorable.

Yes. Adorable and DEADLY.

#51 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 23 2011, 01:59 AM) View Post

The first thing I notice is that Twilight Sparkle's hair looks almost identical to that of Stocking, a character from... er... a particular anime which I am hesitant to refer to by name, even though the art style is quite similar to the team that did MLP:FiM.

Hee hee, that was my first thought when I saw her for the first time as well. icon_razz.gif I know which one you're talking about. icon_wink.gif

Also...that video...what did I watch...? I hope that doesn't become the future. I'd avoid friendship and magic for the rest of my life if it was. D:

#52 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE(SpacemanDan @ May 22 2011, 11:11 PM) View Post
Hee hee, that was my first thought when I saw her for the first time as well. icon_razz.gif I know which one you're talking about. icon_wink.gif

Hehe, I'm sure anyone who is familiar with it will know what I'm talking about. Maybe Twilight Sparkle is her magical pony form?... If that were the case, then perhaps Applejack would be her partner. (might not be the best choice, but she's the only blond one I know of so far)

QUOTE(SpacemanDan @ May 22 2011, 11:11 PM) View Post
Also...that video...what did I watch...? I hope that doesn't become the future. I'd avoid friendship and magic for the rest of my life if it was. D:

Bwahaa. What did you just watch, you ask?... Specifically, it's an episode of "Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu" (the silly, brief summer series of FMP between seasons 1 and 2) where a predator is on the loose. He wears a horse head mask -- no, I don't know how he gets the mouth to move -- and assaults girls by tying their hair into cute ponytails.

Yes, that's ALL he does. Sinister, no?

#53 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:50 AM

I kind of want to take the youtube links down now just because people seem to focus on them rather than the actual series.

Also, you can just say you watch "Panty and Stocking with Garter Belt". It's a thread about My Little Pony and you're talking about a series by Gainax. Nobody is going to judge you, at least not HERE.

#54 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

Apologies, PG. I was comparing Twilight Sparkle to another character, but if it bothers you, I'll stop mentioning other series entirely. Note, however, that many of us haven't seen the series, so if you're wanting to talk about it in-depth, we're just going to have to leave.

Also, no... it's not that I'm embarrassed to say that I've watched that anime; I just find that it's a very non-kid-safe show with a questionable title. There are certain things I don't even mention here in case somebody happens to try Googling it. (Guess what kinds of results you'd get Googling THAT series without enclosing the title in quotes...)

I didn't know it was by Gainax. But the animation style DOES parody the style used by the team that did MLP:FiM, Powerpuff Girls, etc. It's rather unmistakable in that regard.

#55 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 23 2011, 02:53 PM) View Post

Apologies, PG. I was comparing Twilight Sparkle to another character, but if it bothers you, I'll stop mentioning other series entirely. Note, however, that many of us haven't seen the series, so if you're wanting to talk about it in-depth, we're just going to have to leave.

Also, no... it's not that I'm embarrassed to say that I've watched that anime; I just find that it's a very non-kid-safe show with a questionable title. There are certain things I don't even mention here in case somebody happens to try Googling it. (Guess what kinds of results you'd get Googling THAT series without enclosing the title in quotes...)

I didn't know it was by Gainax. But the animation style DOES parody the style used by the team that did MLP:FiM, Powerpuff Girls, etc. It's rather unmistakable in that regard.

I think we missed each other's intentions on that one. I'm just going to drop it.

ANYWAY....

Found this comic quite entertaining. Love the Portal 2 reference.
http://1.bp.blogspot...ght_sparkle.jpg

#56 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

I have a friend right into this show who finds the funniest stuff. Last night, she showed me this. Enjoy. :3

If you read the description, he got a 100% for this. icon_razz.gif

#57 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

Yeah, I'm not going to bash this show in any way, but those names are just...incredibly cute and adorable.

Maybe just a bit to adorable...

#58 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ May 24 2011, 10:28 AM) View Post
Yeah, I'm not going to bash this show in any way, but those names are just...incredibly cute and adorable.

Maybe just a bit to adorable...
If you haven't seen the show then you probably haven't even heard the cutest name yet. Don't look if you're not prepared; I'm not responsible when your brain explodes into a sugary, glittery mess.

Spoiler

I watched that Stockings and Somethingbelt with SomethingSomethingWhatever anime once. Made it about 10 minutes into the first episode before deciding it was the worst thing I've seen since whatever the previous anime I tried watching was. Unfortunately I hadn't seen Friendship is Magic at the time so the Twilight hair was completely lost on me, making the experience even less worthwhile, though I think one of the characters was Six from Battlestar Galactica which was kind of neat I guess.

That physics presentation was, surprisingly, actually funny and well done. It is an amazing thing. AND NOW I KNOW HOW PHYSICS WORKS, THANKS PONIES

(also that rainbow dash mario kart power-up comment is spot-on)

#59 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE(JoshSim @ May 24 2011, 03:06 PM) View Post
I watched that Stockings and Somethingbelt with SomethingSomethingWhatever anime once. Made it about 10 minutes into the first episode before deciding it was the worst thing I've seen since whatever the previous anime I tried watching was.

That's not entirely fair since (okay, fine, I'll name it, just don't Google it unless it is enclosed in "" quotes) Panty and Stocking With Garter Belt is rather unusual for an anime.

I will have to admit that in a certain light, the show is horrible. That's because it's a parody which is so intentionally over-the-top that it dips into horribleness itself. It's not the first show I've seen that fit that description. Among the shows like that, the other one I've seen that was also an anime was called "Club-to-Death Angel Dokuro-chan." It was even worse in that regard. I think you can guess why.

Generally when I encounter a show that is intentionally jaw-droppingly bad, I find that it's worth watching one episode, and then marveling at the fact that it even exists. Watching an entire season is pretty much unnecessary.

QUOTE(JoshSim @ May 24 2011, 03:06 PM) View Post
(also that rainbow dash mario kart power-up comment is spot-on)

Yay. icon_biggrin.gif I think some photoshopping may be in order in the future.

#60 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

You forgot to introduce the princesses! D:

Luna is my favorite pony of them all, shame she got so little screen time! ;_;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users