Photo

Screenshot of the Week 311

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (46 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

Molten Onyx - 7/10
Looks very good. Not unique, but still very good.

Ganon - 6/10
Nice effects, nice subscreen, and decent detail. South path looks kind of awkward though, as if it is floating in the air.

William - 7/10
See comment for Molten Onyx. No subscreen, but the tie vote has a standard one, so I guess that is even.

skulduggery - 5/10
Nice to see BS again every now and then. Not as attractive as a lot of the other shots, but still not bad. Just needs to find a way to be a little more interesting.

Rover - 5/10
Interesting idea for a sidescroller screen. Lots of background leaves little space for action, but I don't think there is a way around that for what you are doing. The square blocks look like they don't belong, since they have that 2D look, unlike the rest of the screen. Also, standard link doesn't seem to fit with the graphics. I only gave you 5 because most of the tiles seem to belong where they are, as if they were pre-arranged before you made the screen, rather than you figuring that out yourself. I think it was mainly to say: You can do this in ZC, which is fine, but I don't think it would stand a chance against screenshots with a more creative arrangement to them.

Tough call for me. I went with William.

#17 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Feb 28 2011, 06:45 PM) View Post

Rover - 5/10
Interesting idea for a sidescroller screen. Lots of background leaves little space for action, but I don't think there is a way around that for what you are doing. The square blocks look like they don't belong, since they have that 2D look, unlike the rest of the screen. Also, standard link doesn't seem to fit with the graphics. I only gave you 5 because most of the tiles seem to belong where they are, as if they were pre-arranged before you made the screen, rather than you figuring that out yourself. I think it was mainly to say: You can do this in ZC, which is fine, but I don't think it would stand a chance against screenshots with a more creative arrangement to them.

Well Nathaniel, thanks for the criticism! I thought it would be interesting to do a sidescroller to change things up perhaps. And the square blocks, that was just my silly fault, tried to put a twist to it but it failed. Standard Link really doesn't fit, perhaps I should have made his clothes darker or something.

And, heh heh, the tiles were arranged just like they were. But the moon and ground tiles were not together, but that is the only thing I really pulled off by myself. Everything else was straight ripped from Ninja Gaiden without editing. I guess I should have used the tiles a bit differently. Now that you said this, I realize it was not creative at all. icon_razz.gif

I will take all these things into consideration if I ever do try to enter a sidescroller again. icon_heh.gif

#18 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(skulduggery @ Feb 28 2011, 03:15 AM) View Post
Thanks for the advice, im still very new to using zelda classic, my only mapping experiance is with rpgmaker.

No problem; you've gotten a good start. icon_smile.gif Welcome to ZC!

QUOTE(skulduggery @ Feb 28 2011, 03:15 AM) View Post
Note: Are we allowed to comment on comments in this thread?

Definitely! Feel free!

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Feb 28 2011, 09:07 AM) View Post
Side note: This is an odd place for a gravestone. But whatever.

Ocarina of Time, Lake Hylia. To the left: The island under which the Water Temple resides.
Well, that's what it reminded me off anyways.

I thought of that too, but I don't believe the monument thing at Lake Hylia was a grave.

Hmmm, William used JPG? I didn't catch that. Yes, naughty! JPG format bad!!

#19 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

How do I save my images without them being converted to a JPG?

#20 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

If you're using 2.5 you can change it in ZLaunch, I'm not sure how to with older versions though.

#21 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:36 PM

I'm using 2.10. Is there a different hosting site other than Photobucket that doesn't convert everything to a JPG?

#22 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE(William @ Mar 1 2011, 02:36 PM) View Post
I'm using 2.10. Is there a different hosting site other than Photobucket that doesn't convert everything to a JPG?

Huh? O_o. I use Photobucket and it never converts mine into Jpegs. What options do you use?

Onto the actual contest, I voted for Ganon. It has that nice creepy feel that mixes in well with the LttP set.

#23 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(William @ Feb 28 2011, 07:17 PM) View Post
How do I save my images without them being converted to a JPG?

Is JPG the default? Hunh, I hadn't expected that. Well, here are some instructions:

In ZQuest...

1. Click "Etc. -> Options"
2. Click tab "2"
3. Click "Snapshot Format" and select "GIF"

Addendum:

Duh, I just gave you instructions for ZQuest. That won't be useful if you take screenshots in the ZC player. So, do this instead. In the ZC player:

1. Click the screen to make the dropdown menus appear
2. Click "Settings -> Snapshot Format -> GIF"

That's all! icon_smile.gif You can select other formats too, but GIF should serve most of your purposes, and it works well in web browsers.

#24 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:21 AM

I just noticed that Ganons screen looks like lake Hylia from OoT. If that's what you were going for, great job!

#25 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:49 AM

Well, looks like it's 2:30 in the morning and I have to be up in four and a half hours. Seems like a good time to review this week's screens~

Molten Onyx: 7/10
Old indeed. Can't say I'm too fond of the tiles or palette here, but the design is good, with a few gripes. The top-right looks especially cramped (you've got a bush on the edge, and even if it wasn't there the player would be forced to immediately turn right upon entry) but the mountains are used pretty well and you're on top of the ground details. The spot where you connect the right side-mountains of the main path could be done better; consider curving that right instead of heading straight up into the cliff face.

Ganon: 4/10
Extremely basic design. Can't get much simpler than a square island. As Radien said, there are some pretty significant mountain errors (specifically the bottom-right corner, the top face, and the transition to the bottom land bridge). It also looks like you've got a palette error because the sand border of the mountain is a weird greenish color, but it's possible that it was intentional, in which case I'd ask "Why?" because the ordinary borders look just fine.

William: 7/10
Not a bad screen; this was very similar to Molten Onyx's submission in that it's a good screen but really doesn't have anything fantastic about it. The middle of the screen feels very empty to me; perhaps some more objects there or shifting the position of the house would have helped that.

skulduggery: 5/10
Not a bad first attempt. Keep in mind that while really open screens can be good from time to time, they are harder to detail than other screens (because obviously you've got less options in what you can fill the screen up with). I can't say I'm too enamored with the mountain work, but it looks like you're trying to put detail into it, which is good. One specific error is that the cave entrance is actually designed to be put on the ground, not embedded into the rock.

Rover: ?/10
I can't really judge this, since it just appears to tile rips.

#26 chainswap

chainswap

Initiate

• Members

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE(skulduggery @ Feb 28 2011, 05:15 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Radien @ Feb 28 2011, 06:14 PM) View Post

Skulduggery:

Not bad, but not very colorful (I realize certain parts of BS AREN'T colorful). Adjacent to the hammer pegs, I would use square mountain corners, not angled. As it stands, It looks like you should be able to squeeze past the pegs, but you can't. Likewise, the tree placement makes it look uncertain whether you should be able to squeeze past on the right side. In that case, you can. I'd avoid putting trees near diagonal mountains for that reason.

That dungeon entrance? It should probably be pushed down one tile rather than embedded in the wall. But your placement of it ALMOST works.

Hmmm, green skulls? I know you must've done that intentionally, but they look almost like a mistake. Finally, Link with seven hearts versus four Goriyas?... This looks rather tough. o_o Careful you don't overdo it.

Thanks for the advice, im still very new to using zelda classic, my only mapping experiance is with rpgmaker.

OMG, i got a vote. MY LIFE HAS MEANING.

i was the one that voted for you XD

all were good but i dunno yours was just the most interesting :3

#27 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

My vote went towards Molten Onyx, because his was the most icon_wow.gif of the bunch icon_wink.gif.

#28 skulduggery

skulduggery

• Members

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(chainswap @ Mar 1 2011, 07:21 PM) View Post

QUOTE(skulduggery @ Feb 28 2011, 05:15 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Radien @ Feb 28 2011, 06:14 PM) View Post

Skulduggery:

Not bad, but not very colorful (I realize certain parts of BS AREN'T colorful). Adjacent to the hammer pegs, I would use square mountain corners, not angled. As it stands, It looks like you should be able to squeeze past the pegs, but you can't. Likewise, the tree placement makes it look uncertain whether you should be able to squeeze past on the right side. In that case, you can. I'd avoid putting trees near diagonal mountains for that reason.

That dungeon entrance? It should probably be pushed down one tile rather than embedded in the wall. But your placement of it ALMOST works.

Hmmm, green skulls? I know you must've done that intentionally, but they look almost like a mistake. Finally, Link with seven hearts versus four Goriyas?... This looks rather tough. o_o Careful you don't overdo it.

OMG, i got a vote. MY LIFE HAS MEANING.

i was the one that voted for you XD

all were good but i dunno yours was just the most interesting :3

you are officialy AWESOMESAUCE.

#29 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

Isn't that stuff against the law icon_glare.gif? Molten Onyx, where is that tileset? Can you provide me a link? I just want to test/fiddle around with it. And Rover where did you rip those tiles they remind me of a game. . .

#30 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Mar 1 2011, 07:03 PM) View Post

Isn't that stuff against the law icon_glare.gif? Molten Onyx, where is that tileset? Can you provide me a link? I just want to test/fiddle around with it. And Rover where did you rip those tiles they remind me of a game. . .

I think it's the Decendant Tileset. Oldest tileset in the DB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users