Wizard of Oz playable characters

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

OK- for starters, this isn't a small demo quest or anything, well it is, but it isn't. It's not the usual check out the first 1-2 levels or anything. This is a demo so you can check out the characters in action instead of just looking at a jpg and saying "those look like they'd be neat". It was up in the air as to whether this belonged in CQD or Dev.Ex. So here's to hoping I got it right.

So here's a "demo" of the characters. It's about 6-9 screens long. Only 2 screens have any enemies. The very last screen with Wizzrobes is for testing the "shield" strength of the characters. Here they are as follows:

Dorothy: small shield, this may change to "No shield" when I actually get the quest going, but I'm not sure at the moment.

Lion: Big shield- this I plan on keeping.

TinMan: mirror shield- enough said.

On the first screen there is a basket. It is the wooden sword.

When you get the Lion, he will still swing the basket for the time being. I plan on figuring out how to give someone a "shield and sword" in the same room, but not sure how that's done exactly at the moment. Also, when you get Lion's tail (white sword), it will be 2 pixels off a bit, but dead on when you get the slash the next screen.

TinMan, of course gets an axe (magic sword). And it throws beams.

LAST EDIT... I think: This is a "quest" in v758.
With that all having been said, here's the link for the little demo:
http://www.mediafire.com/?l3wfm9ddzoh
2nd version now

CREDITS:
I do not plan on using the original DoR scene that is present. It's just easier to use what's already done for this demo. So thank you Radien for the tileset and the background for this demo, since it was not me at all who made them.

Oh, and thanks again to CastChaos for the girl hero tiles. I had to recolor them a little bit for what I wanted, but they ARE originally his.

Tell me what you think about the rest of the characters.

Thanks
Jerome

Edited by jerome, 12 April 2008 - 01:01 PM.

#2 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

Didn't Dorothy have brown hair? Also, you should put an outline on the basket, it blends in brown ground (like dirt) too much. Good Dorothy sprite from my Myra sprite.

Lion seems perfect. As for the tail mismatching, just go to its tile and raise it with 2 pixels. This "turn back while attacking" thing is very nice and the slash works well, too.

Tinman's axe is wonderful. However, his head isn't. It's barely okay from side and behind, but facing south, he looks evil (maybe the strong eyebrow, or what's that there...). Also, you should put one line of darker pixels to the side of his face, so it doesn't look flat. The shoulders also shouldn't be totally monocolour, at least one lighter pixel should go there.

That's all. Overall, it's all great enough.

Also, to make 2 items on the same screen, put an item on the screen, then a warp that leads to an identical screen with the other item. Or rather, have a warp on a screen which teleports the player to a blank screen, into an item, then in less than a second to a smiliarly blank screen with the other item then back to the original room (or a uplicate of it if you never want the players to return from where they came and experience this quick warping again).

#3 jerome

jerome

• Members

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Apr 12 2008, 12:31 PM) View Post

Didn't Dorothy have brown hair?

Yeah it was kind of a reddish brown. That's why on the highlights on the head I chose a brown a little closer to red.

Lion seems perfect. As for the tail mismatching, just go to its tile and raise it with 2 pixels. This "turn back while attacking" thing is very nice and the slash works well, too.

I tried that, but it either works with slash or it works with stab, but not both. Part of Lion's tail is in the Lion's attack tile. If I don't have it that way, there's a gap between him and his tail in slash mode.

Tinman's axe is wonderful. However, his head isn't. It's barely okay from side and behind, but facing south, he looks evil (maybe the strong eyebrow, or what's that there...). Also, you should put one line of darker pixels to the side of his face, so it doesn't look flat. The shoulders also shouldn't be totally monocolour, at least one lighter pixel should go there.

I fixed Evil Tinman into just Tinman, gave him some oil and everythings better. Buffed the shoulders now a little so they shine better as well. Told him to quit looking into the camera light as well.

I'm going to update the link to a new version here in a minute.

Edited by jerome, 12 April 2008 - 01:02 PM.

#4 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

Perfect. Tinman is really great now. It's so funny when he swings Lion's tail. It's like he teared it off of Lion. Who originally didn't have it, just found near a tree.

As for the tail attack, you can make Lion's tail "trunk" lower while attacking, no? At least with one pixel. Not like it would be a terrible glitch now, it can pass.

On a side note, my sister's name is "Dorottya", which is "Dorothy" in Hungarian. Yes, she got her name from Oz. Even though my mother denies it.

#5 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

I can select characters!? How did you made it,jerome? icon_eek.gif

Edited by Nameless, 13 April 2008 - 11:15 AM.

#6 jerome

jerome

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

Nameless,
You can't really select the characters, but change into them. I have it done with shields. When you start off, you get Dorothy. When you get the "magic shield" you turn into Lion. When you get the mirror shield, you turn into Tinman.

CastChaos,
Maybe it's a naturally blonde moment on my part, but I really didn't think of just "1 pixel". I always kept trying to line it up perfectly. I might give that a shot.

Now here's the new question of the day...

Do they fit with DoR?

#7 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:37 AM

Of course they fit. Dorothy fits by nature, Lion is very detailed and the upgrades of Tinman makes him fit, too. I think you are ready with characters and can work on the quest. Or I'm just far too impatient.

#8 jerome

jerome

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:17 AM

Well I kind of figured Dorothy did, but the other two I wasn't sure. Well I better get to working on this thing so it won't be just thoughts. I'm going to play around with trying to get a sepia look in the beginning. Hopefully I can so it can be like the movie.

#9 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(jerome @ Apr 14 2008, 11:19 PM) View Post

Nameless,
You can't really select the characters, but change into them. I have it done with shields. When you start off, you get Dorothy. When you get the "magic shield" you turn into Lion. When you get the mirror shield, you turn into Tinman.
I think it is a good idea. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users