Classic version of a sequel to Minish Cap

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:09 AM

Okay so I got this crazy idea, to take a break from working on my Star Wars Adventures quest. Which by the way I have a lot of the beginning of the game ready, and the first dungeon almonst finished. I have the next two dungeons planned out as well. So anyway I decided to take a break and utilize some of the tile submissions I submitted a few years ago for Minish Cap items such as the Minish Cap that replaces the flippers and allows you to walk around real small-like. And the mole mitts, which replace the hammer, utilized to break though certain walls. And finally the gust jar, which replaces the hookshot.

I just finished Minish Cap for the first time about a month ago. I had played it before but never got around to beating it. So I decided to take a break from Star Wars Adventures, and make a sequel to Minish Cap. But my amateur skills would never allow me to use a Minish Cap-type tileset ... so I decided to use the classic tileset, and create all new tiles for it to match with the original game, only in classic version.

The story is still being written, but it's generally that a lot of the monsters in Hyrule are trying to ressurrect Ganon and have taken over most of Hyrule, even a section of the town. You've got a whole barrage of new weapons (see last screen). I'm going to go deeper into the races of Hyrule, such as the Gorons, the Zoras, and even the Deku Scrubs. I'm going to try and make small overworlds for each of their areas. This game should be easy to complete, I'm almost done with the entire overworld. I'm not going to make it ridiculously complicated or hard to play. It should be easy first, medium, and then kinda hard towards the end. I hope to have a demo soon, as well as Star Wars Adventures to be released for the Spring Expo on both quests. ENJOY!

Check out the screens so far:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by octorok, 08 April 2008 - 09:34 AM.

#2 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

Well, THIS is an unique idea... walking as real small and such are extremely witty... It's a good idea.

But why do those monsters want to resurrect Ganon if it's an MC sequel? The boss of MC was Vaati, the best Zelda villain ever!

#3 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Apr 8 2008, 11:35 AM) View Post

Well, THIS is an unique idea... walking as real small and such are extremely witty... It's a good idea.

But why do those monsters want to resurrect Ganon if it's an MC sequel? The boss of MC was Vaati, the best Zelda villain ever!

Eh, well I figured that since Vaati was gone, the monsters would try to resurrect Ganon to be the boss. I was thinking of putting Vaati in it maybe at the end and he's working with Ganon and he's a boss, but not the final boss. I'm not sure ... I was even thinking of making the final boss be a Great Moblin King or something I dunno. Thoughts??? icon_blink.gif

#4 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

Well, I already mentioned some time ago that it's nice not to include Ganon. Vaati isn't gone, he got part of the Lightforce (Triforce of Wisdom) and now always returns. I think he is sealed in the Four Swords at the end of MC (since he breaks free from it in FS/A). You can do that he manipulates somebody from there. For example that great moblin king. However, it would look too much like Ganon... Let Vaati manipulate the main character by making him do things that seem good, but in the end, will be revealed as evil.

#5 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

Wow, the screens look cool, and very unique! I don't think the trees really fit the perspective, though, and why is there shallow water at the very bottom of a waterfall? O_o

But still, looks cool, dude. icon_thumbsup.gif

#6 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Apr 8 2008, 01:46 PM) View Post

Wow, the screens look cool, and very unique! I don't think the trees really fit the perspective, though, and why is there shallow water at the very bottom of a waterfall? O_o

But still, looks cool, dude. icon_thumbsup.gif

I couldn't design a classic style tree without it looking too odd. I know the style of classic tileset is to NOT have everything in black-outlined drawings. I didn't know what else to do really. And I couldn't find any good classic trees in the database either. I drew them completely from scratch too ... they look decent, but I'm not 100% satisfied with them though. They're not as classic as I wish they were. Any suggestions? icon_blink.gif

Also there's a hidden cave behind the waterfall so I needed a walkable area before it and made it a "dock" so you can only get there by the raft. I never thought of it looking silly, however now that you mention it ... icon_redface.gif haha oh well, I'll see what I can do. icon_razz.gif

And CastChaos, your idea is a great idea! I like having the story be based around a lie that is going on. The whole time you think that you're going to fight Ganon / Moblin King or whatever ... and it turns out to be Vaati the whole time. Maybe the Minish Cap itself is Vaati stuck in that form, and he tricks you into thinking he needs your help to defeat the Moblin King from resurrecting Ganon. Then at the end he transforms into Vaati. I like that ... icon_thumbsup.gif icon_cool.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

I'll hold back opinions on the storyline till its laid out (it doesn't sound bad so far, though), but I'll give comment on your screens:

Damn.

... icon_heh.gif

That means they're good. I love it when somebody can take a Classic(-ish) set and make it look good, as you have done. icon_biggrin.gif

#8 Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt

Wizard

• Members

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:52 PM

Holy oil rig! This looks so cool, man. I'd definitely play this quest.

#9 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

Here's a list of the inventory ... lemme know what you think:

amulet.........ghost ring
arrow 1........wooden arrow
arrow 2........light arrow
arrow 3........fire arrow
bait..kinstone
bomb(normal)...bomb
bomb(super)....super bomb
boomerang 1....wooden boomerang
boomerang 2....wind boomerang
boomerang 3....fire boomerang
boots..........pegasus boots
bow 1..........short bow
bow 2..........zora crossbow
bracelet.......power bracelets
bracelet 2.....strength gauntlets
candle 1.......lantern
candle 2.......ghost lantern
clock..........clock
compass........compass
din's fire.....din's fire
farore's wind..farore's wind
flippers.......minish cap
hammer.........mole mitts
hookshot.......gust jar
ladder.........roc's cape
lens of truth..ghost lens
letter.........empty jar
magic book.....book of mudora
misc 1.........?
misc 2.........?
nayru's love...nayru's love
potion 1.......red potion
potion 2.......blue potion
raft..zora water plant
ring 1 (blue)..zora light armor
ring 2 (red)...goron heavy armor
ring 3 (gold)..triforce armor
shield 1.......hyrule shield
shield 2.......mirror shield
sword 1........hero's sword
sword 2........white sword
sword 3........master sword
sword 4........four sword
triforce.......triforce
wallet 1.......wallet 1
wallet 2.......wallet 2
wand..fire staff
whistle........ocarina of wind

#10 Dorian

Dorian

Adept

• Members

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

yea go for it!
looks good and promising
but,

QUOTE(octorok @ Apr 8 2008, 04:09 PM) View Post

IPB Image

if you are using 2.10, how would that be possible (to control link in minish mode) ?

or is that a cutscene?

and I don't see anything wrong with the trees icon_blink.gif

#11 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:03 PM

As he said, he uses the flippers for that. Water looking tiles aren't water combos, rather those dotted roads are water combos and the swimming animation is that "head in text bubble". Flipper tricks are wonderful.

But I disagree some items.
Hookshot => Gust jar : The Gust jar magneting you to something? If there weren't that "hookshot extend" animation, then it even could work... But now... well... maybe if you draw only hookshot handle and delete the chain and head...
L2 ring => Heavy Goron armor : Goron's don't wear armor. They don't need it. It's alien to them. I suggest a rename.
L3 ring => Triforce armor : It should be the samely strong as the Master Sword and such, and also be a quest item or trigger an alternate ending... otherwise too powerful name compared to its use. I suggest a rename.
Boots => Pegasus boots : Pegasy doesn't have anything to do with being able to walk on spikes...
Ladder => Roc's cape : No. Try it and see for yourself. You can't make it's GFX good in 2.10. It would look like that the cape is put under Link so that he can stand on it. You can't make floating animations, nor separate the subscreen sprite than the sprite that gets under Link.

#12 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

Pretty nice use of Classic, at any rate. icon_smile.gif Those round trees look kinda funky, however...

Anyway, good luck with these. I hope you have fun.

#13 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Apr 10 2008, 12:03 PM) View Post

As he said, he uses the flippers for that. Water looking tiles aren't water combos, rather those dotted roads are water combos and the swimming animation is that "head in text bubble". Flipper tricks are wonderful.

But I disagree some items.
Hookshot => Gust jar : The Gust jar magneting you to something? If there weren't that "hookshot extend" animation, then it even could work... But now... well... maybe if you draw only hookshot handle and delete the chain and head...
L2 ring => Heavy Goron armor : Goron's don't wear armor. They don't need it. It's alien to them. I suggest a rename.
L3 ring => Triforce armor : It should be the samely strong as the Master Sword and such, and also be a quest item or trigger an alternate ending... otherwise too powerful name compared to its use. I suggest a rename.
Boots => Pegasus boots : Pegasy doesn't have anything to do with being able to walk on spikes...
Ladder => Roc's cape : No. Try it and see for yourself. You can't make it's GFX good in 2.10. It would look like that the cape is put under Link so that he can stand on it. You can't make floating animations, nor separate the subscreen sprite than the sprite that gets under Link.

Yeah thanks for clearing that up about the flippers/minish cap, CastChaos. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, here's a shot of the Gust Jar (hookshot) in action and how it works: (it looks kinda "off" but ill fix it later)

IPB Image

About the L2 and L3 rings - I was going to assume that the Gorons were going to "make" Link some special Goron armor and he gets it from them. And the triforce armor I have no idea about. I was thinking of making it "Picori Armor" because in Minish Cap the Picori (small people) are the ones who made the Four Sword and so if they can equally make an armor strong enough (for big people) than why not? That would probably make more sense too.

About the boots and ladder ... yeah I don't have a clue about these two. All I know is I want to implement them. I think the pegasus boots will be "simulating hovering" over spaces that are deemed "damage" so it looks like Link will hover over certain areas. And the Roc's Cape ... sheesh I dunno, I know I want Link to be able to "hop" over certain obstacles using the cape, so that kinda resembles the use of the ladder, but what you said is completely true, the cape is too big and will show through when Link actually uses it like a ladder. I guess i could make the Roc's Cape a few pixels smaller?? Dunno ... icon_freak.gif

Oh and here's a few more screens of stuff. First one is the start screen where you go up to get your sword. The other three are of the town. Let me know what you guys think so far.... icon_biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

#14 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:28 AM

One thing I've noticed so far

Classic Zelda never had outlines. Every plane was represented by a single color. If you truly want to recreate that look and feel, re-edit the trees

#15 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:16 AM

I love the graphics. It's really like at the official NES games. I don't mind the existence or nonexistence of a few outlines.

Also, the Four Sword wasn't made by the Picori. It was forget by a smith from the shards of the broken Picori Blade. (There must been a game between AoL and MC where Ganon returns and is killed with the Picori blade instead of the silver arrow. Hmm... what an idea for a custom quest...)

Gorons giving Link an armor is in fact a good idea, but you really should change the name of the L3 ring unless as I said, it triggers a secret ending or such... It's like called the second sword to be "Galaxy Destroyer Two Handed Blade".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users