Scripting Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:32 AM

Ey Yo, PureZC. I Got A little Quickedy Question about Tha Scripting. Two Actualyy, MEBBE 3

But seriously, is it possible to have multiple subscreens with scripting, because if it isnt is it possible to script an NPC to keep track of a specific thing (I want to have these Journal Entries one finds along the way in m quest, and I want one to be able to go back and read them)

Also, do I use Joe's NPC script or is it broken as per HellA Mad Updates Yo?

#2 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

"Is It Possible" questions always seriously bug me in this forum. If it's ZScript, the answer is always yes. icon_sweat.gif

Though with what you're trying to accomplish, I don't think multiple subscreens would be the way to do it. Really it sounds like you'd be just fine using a classic "cutscene sequence", with scripts to assist. A hub screen to select an entry with a cursor and press A to read it is quite doable, and for the entries themselves, each page could be on its own screen, and the arrow buttons or the A or B button could scroll back and forth through pages (screens), ending by jumping back to the hub screen (and then that could be exited with the B button to send you back to the library or wherever you were reading from).

Truth be told I was (and still am) debating on doing this, and having a Beastiary for my Quest, since every enemy in the game will be scripted with some pretty dynamic behaviors, and I thought maybe I could give players some ways to get hints on fighting them, as well as appeal to "completionist gamers" who like to try and get all the collectables. If I were to do this, the method I described would basically be how I do it.

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

Yes, it is possible with varying levels of effectiveness...I'll be damned if I know how to do it though.

QUOTE(Schwa @ Dec 9 2011, 08:35 AM) View Post

"Is It Possible" questions always seriously bug me in this forum. If it's ZScript, the answer is always yes. icon_sweat.gif
Ocarina of Time remade in ZC, 3D and everything? icon_eyebrow.gif

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 09 December 2011 - 08:49 AM.

#4 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

Yeah, Schwa's answer is rather... wrong. A lot is possible with ZScript. Really, a lot is. However, you have to stick with 2D. But, even then, while almost everything 2D is definitely possible, it's not necessarily very reasonable, and you'd have to jump through so many hoops to get it done with ZScript, it's just not worth it. icon_shrug.gif

My main beef with "Is it possible" questions in this forum is because a lot of times from what I've seen, these dive to "Oh, it's possible? Well then can someone do it for me?" or "Oh, it's possible? Well teach me how to do it."

As far as this particular question, it's certainly possible to have a second subscreen, but there's a lot of stuff you have to bring into play.

1. You need to freeze Link and freeze enemies. While the subscreen is up.
2. You'll need to make sure you freeze all other scripts (particularly FFC scripts)
3. You need to freeze and keep track of every weapon on the screen. Or else you might get problems with weapons either continuing while the subscreen is up, which under most scenarios means that they'll go off the screen, and you'll come back to no weapons.

3 is the most difficult part, still, it's possible to just stash the speed of the weapons into Misc[0] and set the speed to 0. Then, when the subscreen is over, simply push the Misc[0] value into the speed. A piece of cake, really.

So, it's definitely doable, but you'd have to put a bit of time into it, and that's before you get to things such as the actual menu itself. In all honesty, it would just be easier to do everything with an NPC in a more controlled screen. Your question about the NPC asking it is definitely possible.

As far as Joe's script, it should still work. I haven't tested it myself, but I can't imagine anything in it being broken.

#5 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Dec 9 2011, 09:09 AM) View Post

3 is the most difficult part, still, it's possible to just stash the speed of the weapons into Misc[0] and set the speed to 0. Then, when the subscreen is over, simply push the Misc[0] value into the speed. A piece of cake, really.

Or you could use a custom array with enough space for every weapon onscreen. If for some reason you're using all 16 misc values somewhere.

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 09 December 2011 - 09:31 AM.

#6 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Dec 9 2011, 05:35 AM) View Post

I have literally never ever used scripts ever. I've never even opened up the script thing in ZQ. This is the first time I have actually thought about really using scripts.

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Dec 9 2011, 06:09 AM) View Post

My main beef with "Is it possible" questions in this forum is because a lot of times from what I've seen, these dive to "Oh, it's possible? Well then can someone do it for me?" or "Oh, it's possible? Well teach me how to do it."

Can someone do it for me/teach me how to do it

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE(Ironfist @ Dec 9 2011, 05:57 PM) View Post

Sure I'll teach you. Lessons cost 57,295,779$ yearly admission. icon_wink.gif

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 09 December 2011 - 08:19 PM.

#8 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(Ironfist @ Dec 9 2011, 02:57 PM) View Post

Yes, Saffith can. Read his tutorials, then practice a little, then re-read them, then practice a little more. They're Stickied in the Scripting Practice forums on three different threads, you can't possibly miss them.

Back where I come from in the Rom Hacking scene, our #1 rule was "do the work yourself" and our #2 rule was "share what you find". If you're a human being, with a brain, you're completely capable of being autonomous with anything, even if some people naturally understand it moreso than other people. Someone with Dyslexia can still learn to read as good as someone without it, even if it takes them more time and effort, amirite?

So, there is absolutely zero excuses for laziness. We're all happy to help you learn, but you better be willing to put in the effort. Give and take, brother, that's how we indie game designers do things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users