Making an Overworld Screen...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:28 PM

I've noticed how many quests don't quite look that detailed. Of course, one could say that graphics shouldn't matter, but heck, graphics are the first thing you see when you look at a quest in the database. It's your first impression. Shouldn't you make a screen that makes the player want to look further into the quest? These are some tips to make your Overworld screens look better.

1. Don't make the path empty. Put in something solid to make the player have to move around a little. This could be rocks, trees or standing water, it doesn't quite matter, as long as there's something.
2. Why choose either grass or dirt? It looks even better if there's spots of grass and spots of dirt. Of course, it's best to choose one to be the main item, and have the other it smaller spots.
3. Add in bushes. Sure, they help the player out, but they also add nice detail to your quests.
4. Don't make cliffs completely square. Add in some areas where the cliffs pull back. It adds for quite a nice look. icon_wink.gif
5. Avoid lining up many things. This could be trees, bushes, or even grass tiles. You want them to be seperated a bit. Maybe not 5 combos seperated, but you want a bit of an empty spot every once in a while, and you also want alternating tiles. This makes tops of cliffs full of trees look fantastic. icon_thumbsup.gif
6. Don't leave any parts of the screen empty. If there's a top of the cliff, fill it in with trees. If there's water, stick some rocks in the water. Doesn't have to be a lot, but just enough to make it look unrepetitive.
7. Anything with animation helps. Butterflies, animated grass, trees that move in the wind. You'ld be surprised how well these small things affect how a screen looks.
8. Have plenty of color. Try not to have your whole screen green. Add some different colors in there that mix it up. Of course, that doesn't mean have it all rainbow colored. icon_xd.gif

Anyway, I found a file on my computer that I could use to prove my point. That turned out to be the Descendent Tileset, so enjoy these pics and reflect on what I've said. Believe me... it works. icon_wink.gif

user posted imageuser posted image
[Left is the original image, the right is the new product following the rules above.]

Edit: I need to find some other place to stick these. Please wait a second.
Edit: Images are reuploaded on a new server and are now working. icon_biggrin.gif

#2 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the advice! I will use it a lot in my upcoming quest! You have some really deep thought out information there.

Nice job! icon_thumbsup.gif icon_clap.gif

Comix

#3 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 02 July 2005 - 02:11 PM

I fixed the images now.

Thanks though. I'm glad it was able to help you. icon_biggrin.gif

#4 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:15 PM

I'll look back at this when making some screenshots.
Good job! icon_thumbsup.gif

#5 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:21 AM

Another good tip is to be original and creative. Throw people off by using something that you designed/created! Looks good! icon_thumbsup.gif

Good tips too man, w00t icon_smile.gif

#6 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:41 AM

Hey, a nice piece of reference. icon_thumbsup.gif I already knew most of this stuff in the back of my head, but I can now use this topic as a sort of checklist whenever I feel a screen lacks something. Thank you! icon_smile.gif

(Wow... This is my 10th post today. It's a new record for me. icon_smile.gif)

#7 Papa

Papa

Disruptive and obnoxious member since 2005

• Members

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:15 PM

nicklegends said it best. Its another helpful resource from Linkthemaster. I just finished printing it out and have already added it to both the hard copy version of your tutorial AND to the pc file of the same. THANX!! ~adomlee~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users