A Great Trick On All-Encompassing Burn/etc Flags:

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:39 PM

The following is roughly a copy and paste of a thread at AGN. Read, and enjoy. ^_^

could there be flags for things like burn, bomb, arrow, and the rest, that activate when they're triggered like the ones we have now, only they have a different secret combo?

like, when you want to burn a LTTP tree, and the flag is on the left side of the middle, and you burn the right, nothing happens, but you burn the left, it all burns up (and the secret combos that trigger are all different, so duplicate burn flags wouldn't work well)
~ Gashin

You can do this now, Gashin, but you have to be crafty.

Put the tree you want to change on layer 1. Using flags 16-31 on that layer, draw the burned tree.

On layer 2, put flag 4 all over that mother. Now, have the fire combo be to a blank combo.

It works!!
~ Ganonator

So, essentially, here's a summary.

Suppose you have a 2x2 tree. You can only have -ONE- Burn Flag on it, because you only have -ONE- secret combo assigned to the Burn Flag at once.

Why have I not mentioned secret flags yet? Quite simply because, you cannot BURN them. You cannot trigger them individually.

The burn flag MUST be the single cause of the tree being reduced to a series or NON-IDENTICAL secret combos, supposedly consisting of four different tiles of a descending walkway.

Thus, you will need more than one kind of burn flag. The way it works now, is that you will only be able to place a SINGLE burn flag on that 2x2 tree, which leaves three other spaces to cover. When you burn those spaces, those spaces devoid of the burn flag, the tree will not burn!

So what do you do?

Quite simply, place burn flags on layer 3, (Or any layer, really. But use 1-4 for ease.) and keep that layer's secret combos transparent. Back on layer 0, you can have the burn flag one corner of the walkway, (2x2 Stairs, actaully.) and the three other secret flags stairs as well.

The trick is, the burn flags above layer 0 will cover the need to have burn flags all over the tree, but they don't do anything other than allow the tree to be burned, and recognized that it's been burned, because they have no secret combo assigned to them other than the default transparent tile. Very handy. icon_wink.gif

Need another explanation, anyone?

#2 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:47 PM

Not a bad trick. icon_smile.gif Though... I won't have a use for it.

#3 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:17 AM

Oooooh, neato. Perhaps I can do this in my Final Fantasy Quest. That'll be awesome. Thanks Mr. BH4, Gashin, and Ganonator!

#4 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:29 AM

Mwahaha, I made that trick up myself months ago. (over half a year actually)
Still, it's very useful to know.

#5 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:07 AM

Yeah, I use that trick all of the time. It is really helpful for making things easier. icon_razz.gif

#6 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:18 AM

So, you add burn flags all over the tree in layers >0? After Link burns any of them, the tree burns like normal, right? Seems right.

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:38 AM

Yup, it does, all because all the secrets appear on layer zero, but are ALL triggered all over layer 1-6.

Action Takes Place on Zero,

CAUSED On Layers 1-6.

Sheerely sublime.

#8 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:33 PM

Yes, I see that. But, does one still have to burn the flag on layer 0, or can any placed Burn Flag be burned?

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:59 PM

I suppose any mention of burning flag #4, the standard burn flag, will do the trick. Any burn flag on that screen, will trigger all the secrets.

#10 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:38 PM

Now why didn't I think of that?

#11 mudvayne

mudvayne

Junior

• Members

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:59 AM

ehh can you translate this to my language? (german) icon_sweat.gif

#12 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:58 AM

I actually found this method out myself by accident... icon_sweat.gif
Never read the forum, either...
Oh well. Just one of those things when you figure out how to get rid of that dead 2x2 tree.
icon_rolleyes.gif

#13 ZeldaLord

ZeldaLord

Legendary Hero

• Members

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:35 AM

Hmmm... I seem to remember seeing something very similar to this on AGN 3 years ago (just after beta 104 was released), so I don't think this is new.

It is very useful, though. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users